8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2014 4:10 AM by VDOSurfer

Rendering a video in 1080/60i  ?

DB Cooper

I have a Canon Vixia HG30 and I record video in 1080/60i .  However, when I try to render with Adobe Premeire Elements 12 I dont see a setting for the format.  What should I do ?

• 1. Re: Rendering a video in 1080/60i  ?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

DB Cooper

If your source video is 1080/60i, then your project preset in Premiere Elements 12 is

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

and if your video has 5.1 channel audio, then

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30 5.1 Channel

When you see "60i" that represents 60 fields per second which equates to 29.97/30 interlaced frames per second.

Please let us know if you are OK with the information or need further clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Rendering a video in 1080/60i  ?
            DB Cooper Level 1

Thank you for the reply and the good information.

Okay so I see an option for M2T - H264 1920/1080i 30   - Would that be the correct option when I render ?

Also, when I start up the software I am not able to select a project preset option for my source video.

• 3. Re: Rendering a video in 1080/60i  ?
              DB Cooper Level 1

I'm sorry.  Apparently my camera can shoot both interlaced and progressive in 60p or 60i.

I have been shooting my video in 60p.

Would that change what settings I use to render in Adobe 12 ?

• 4. Re: Rendering a video in 1080/60i  ?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

DB Cooper

Premiere Elements 11 and 12 are set up so that the program automatically sets the project preset for you based on the properties of the first video drag to the Timeline. Sometimes it does it OK, sometimes not. In those not situations, then you set the project preset manually yourself based the the video properties that you know. When the program does the set and does it wrong, it does not give you the closest set but rather its default which is NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30, which just happens to be the project preset we are targeting for anyway if your audio is Stereo and not 5.1 Channel.

If you are going to start off by letting the program do this task for you, then you can check what it has set by looking at Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Rate, and Pixel Aspect Ratio. For the project preset of NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30, you should see Project Settings

Project Preset.JPG

Bottom line: I would expect you to do OK letting the program set the project preset. There should be no way for it to mess up.

However, if your video has 5.1 Channel audio, then definitely set the project preset yourself manually for NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 5.1 channel UNLESS you see the 5.1 in the Audio track if you let the program set the project preset.

5.1.JPG

In this case, you cannot depend on checking the program's set with Project Settings because both

NTSC AVCHD Full 1080i30

and

NTSC AVCHD Full 1080i30 5.1 channel

will present the same the Project Settings dialog figures, no mention of 5.1 there.

To set the project preset manually

File Menu/New/Project

Change Settings

and then, before you exit the new project dialog in that area, be sure to have a check mark next to

Force Selected Project Setting on This Project.

Then back in the Premiere Elements workspace, Add Media/

With regard to export choices...

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD with Presets = M2T - H.264 1920 x 1080i30 would be a good choice to start with for a file

saved to the computer hard drive.

Also, take a look at MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30 and see how that holds up when you shoot 1080i30 (aka 60i).

There are other shooting opportunities to explore and related Premiere Elements details - maybe 1080p60?

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Rendering a video in 1080/60i  ?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

DB Cooper

I did not see your post 2 until I had finished writing my post 4 and posting it.

If you have 1080p60 instead of 1080 60i, the project preset that you want is

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

There is no preset for the 5.1 channel version in this case. I can tell you how to create one if need be if it comes to that.

For export to 1080p60...

NTSC

Computer

AVCHD

set Presets to MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

Then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset, change the frame rate to 59.94 or 60 frames per second.

The Export Setting dialog would look like...please check all values...

Export12.JPG

When you have the project preset = NTSC AVCHD AVCHD 1080p60, the Project Settings should look

p60pp.JPG

Please let me know if you are OK with the details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Rendering a video in 1080/60i  ?
                    nealeh Level 5

DB Cooper wrote:

Also, when I start up the software I am not able to select a project preset option for my source video.

Theoretically PRE automatically sets the project preset from the first clip you import to the project. But if it gets it wrong (and it can) use File> New> Project (Ctrl+N) and manually select the the preset you want.

Make sure you check the 'Force' checkbox to prevent PRE from trying to change the preset if it wrongly identifies your clip format.

1.png

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 7. Re: Rendering a video in 1080/60i  ?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

DB Cooper

After you check out the details in my replies numbered 4 and 5, please let us know what supplemental information that you would like to have regarding your project's importing, editing, and exporting.

I thought that I can covered the manual selection of the project preset back in post 4 which might be indicated by factors as described in the following

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

In the case of my description back in post 4, the specific relevant dialogs that you would meet on your path to setting the project preset manually would be:

File Menu/New/Project

File-MenuNew.jpg

New Project Dialog -  Click on Change Settings Button

change 2.JPG

Select Project Preset NTSC AVCHD AVCHD 1080p60

p60.JPG

Click OK to the Change Settings dialog when finished making the 1080p60 selection

and then you will see the new project dialog again where you put a check mark

next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this project" and then click OK.

final new.JPG

Then back in the Expert workspace, Add Media/ and.....

Looking forward to your results when you get the chance.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Rendering a video in 1080/60i  ?
                        VDOSurfer Level 3

For your export needs, the preset that ATR has suggested should be good enough. But if you want it to exactly match your video, let us know and we can guide you through that.