• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does anyone care why I don't let Adobe update me automatically?

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2014 Mar 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm now going on 3 hours trying to regain control of my computer, and there's a whole collection of Safari windows that I had and can't get back, none of them even using Flash.

I sure wish there were an alternative to this coercive, arrogant provider. A great example of what's wrong with monopolies.

And the last half hour has been since I first clicked "Contact Adobe."

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SO... did you need help with anything or is this just a rant?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need someone at Adobe to care. I need a way to be heard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well how about we start with the following?

What OS?

I can't guarantee that I'll "care" beyond getting your Flash Player issues resolved, but that's because apathy is a way of life for me or I'd be dying of ulcers. <--(me trying to be humorous)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve got it installed, Mike. I’ve just lost a couple of hours and a good deal of energy I don’t have. I’m using Mac OS 10.9.2 (also upgraded at this time; silly me, I thought I could get by with one restart) and Safari 7.0.2. First problem was figuring how to “quit” my dashboard client. Once I did that (and of course now I have to rebuild it), Flash downloaded and indicated it was installed, so I opened Safari and tried to get some work done while I waited for the “free” Photoshop whatever. EVERYthing ground to a halt. I tried to just abandon the extra, but now I was stuck, Adobe had control of Safari, and there was nothing else I could do but surrender to round 3. And then there was the frustration of trying to register my dissatisfaction.

I’m sorry, my sense of humor doesn’t function very well when I’m being pushed around by automated systems. Are you Adobe, or just a friendly fellow slave?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bkswrites wrote:

I’m sorry, my sense of humor doesn’t function very well when I’m being pushed around by automated systems. Are you Adobe, or just a friendly fellow slave?

Just a fellow Mac user and Adobe user.

I make my living (meager as it is) with Adobe software, so I put in time here between projects, helping out.

Since Snow Leopard, Macs have gotten more difficult when it comes to installing Software. It's a trade-off. GateKeeper is good for protesting against c r a p p y software, but it can hinder things while it does so. Social media plug-ins have made a mess of things too (SO glad I'm not allowed on Facebook, or I might use some of them)... Things that keep Dashboard and Flash, as well as Safari active when you're 100% sure you've quit them drive people nuts.

I was one of the first 10,000 people to install Mavericks, and so far (knock on wood) it's been almost completely trouble free. I've got a nine-month-old Mini with a Corei5 and I bumped it to 16Gb RAM so things went, and still go, pretty smooth and quick.

Being as I'm bilingual (I have five PCs and four Macs) I have to deal with both Windows and Apple updates as well as third party stuff like Roxio, Adobe, Intuit, Canon and more.
I've learned over the years the NEVER EVER EVER update anything manually.

Sure, it's a P.I.T.A. having to run Windows and Apple updates on nine machines every Tuesday, but I don't get anything I don't want and I have control over what's going on. I'm a total control freak when it comes to my computers, so that matters a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m a writer who does a little design and publishes from QuarkXPress to PDF for POD. Long ago I bought Acrobat, but didn’t find I was using it enough to be worth the money I didn’t have. The problem is that the updates (now from Apple too) pop up at the most inopportune moments, such as when I’m in the middle of a comment in a social-media argument.

I am not happy with Mavericks. I miss my actual spaces and my lovely rotating wallpaper, and there are so many ways it wants to think for me, Windows-like. I think I’ve finally, mostly, got the scrolling figured out, except when, like today, only one pane of Mail will scroll from the touchpad. You’re not bilingual so much as ecumenical, according to a DOS-era essay by Umberto Eco that I love. But I’m the classic Mac, since a 1981 IIe and Basic. Just tell me where to point and how many times to click.

Thanks for your calming voice. I would like to think somebody at Adobe might hear my voice, but they’ve got the monopoly, so why should they?

bks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2014 Mar 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike M wrote:

I've learned over the years the NEVER EVER EVER update anything manually.

Is that really what you meant to write, or the opposite: never update anything automatically?

I certainly do not update anything automatically; I like to control what and when I update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2014 Mar 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My bad... I was chasing down a replacement plumbing part while I wrote that. I hate things that leak water! They throw my mind all out of whack!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines