3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2014 5:27 AM by Yammer

Question about some unreadable CS2 files

Impy101001

I have a Canon 5Dii, and I am using 8gb Sandisk Ultra CF cards. I took some pictures tonight on a card that I have never had problems with. When I got home and attempted to look at them through Bridge and Photoshop I got the message "Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file." I was shooting in RAW, the files all were around 20-25mb, and they were showing up as CS2 files in finder (Mac user).

There were other pictures on the card from a previous session that I am able to see and access. I took a few more pictures after I was unable to open the files, and they are saving to the card normally. When I try to view the pictures through my 5d it does not recognize any pictures on the card except for the few that I took after the fact.

I am thinking that I am possibly dealing with a defective CF card, but if that was the case I think the pictures I took after should have been corrupt/missing too. I have tried converting to DNG with no luck. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer! 

• 1. Re: Question about some unreadable CS2 files
          Yammer Level 4

Is CS2 a mistype? Do you mean CR2?

The Canon 5DII was first supported in Camera Raw 5.2, which means that you need a minimum of Photoshop/Bridge CS4 (fully updated) to open the files.

If you're using CS2, you'll need to convert the files to DNG using the latest DNG Converter, which is a free download from Adobe. Don't forget to set Compatibility to your installed version of Camera Raw.

If you've got Lightroom 2.2 or later, you can use this to convert the files instead.

• 2. Re: Question about some unreadable CS2 files
            Impy101001 Level 1

Sorry, I meant CR2. My wife is the photographer...not me :)

We are using Photoshop CS5, and we have never had any issues with these files in the past. Some CR2 files from the same card are actually viewable on Bridge and in the camera.

• 3. Re: Question about some unreadable CS2 files
              Yammer Level 4

Are you only using the one 5DII with this card?

I seem to remember reading that some Canons do some weird alternative Raw format too, but I guess that would save with a different extension.

If some images are viewable and some from the same camera are not then that certainly points to a data error. Whether this is the card or the camera it's impossible to say, but it's usually the card (or the operator) causing the problem. You might have some luck with a data recovery program. I've had mixed success in the past. Card manufacturers often provide basic software for free.