8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2014 10:03 PM by Trevor.Dennis

Can I change brush diameter without lifting pen [and independently of pressure]?

Nic-22473

Hi!

I was wondering whether its possible to change brush size (via some input other than pen pressure) during a stroke?

Photoshop doesn't seem to respond to the '[ ]' keys on my keyboard whilst i am drawing, forcing me to lift the pen in order to change the size.

i was hoping you could point me in the right direction or affirm that doing so is even possible?

• I have the shortcut keys correctly configured, as they do work when I'm not drawing.

• Im using a Wacom Bamboo tablet, so I do not have a touch-ring or tilt-control.

• I am willing to purchase third party hardware if necessary to achieve this ability

• Adobe Photoshop Version: 14.2.1 x64
      • Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Thanks heaps for your time,

~  Nic.

• 1. Re: Can I change brush diameter without lifting pen [and independently of pressure]?
          wes1 Level 1

Have you tried the following keyboard shortcut? With the brush tool selected,  Ctrl + Option and drag left and right to change size or Ctrl + Option drag up and down to change softness or hardness?

• 2. Re: Can I change brush diameter without lifting pen [and independently of pressure]?
            boo radley 2013 Level 3

the answer is yes. You'll need a program called AutoHotKey to do it. Go to their main site and download their software and install it.

Here is a simple AHK script which you will then run to acheive what you need:

$]::
            send, {Lbutton up}
            send, ]
            send, {Lbutton down}

return

$[::
            send, {Lbutton up}
            send, [
            send, {Lbutton down}

return

I recommend reading up on their tutorials on how to exactly run and install the software, and to also run scripts once it's installed. There is a learning curve with this software.

The above script will allow you to press [ or ] while your pen is held down on the tablet and the brush will resize without you having to lift the pen. I'm running the exact script right now and it works quite well.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can I change brush diameter without lifting pen [and independently of pressure]?
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I don't seem to be able to do that on a windows system when the Pen is in contact with the tablets surface keyboard key presses seem to be disabled or discarded. So the shortcut keys [ and ] do nothing tablet features that are set pass key strokes also do not work like the intuos touch ring set to [ and ] have no effect..

Message was edited by: JJMack

Have never installed a program like AutHotKey so I do not know if it will or will not will not work.  I may depend on where the keypress are being blocked or discarded. And how AutoHotKey stuff in a ketstroke.

• 4. Re: Can I change brush diameter without lifting pen [and independently of pressure]?
                boo radley 2013 Level 3

AutoHotKey's capability seems unlimited. It lets you do things way above and beyond what Photoshop's default capabilities are.

The script posted above does indeed work as I use it regularly. AHK isn't without flaws though, there are glitches on occasion. Whether that has anything to do with AHK or the always-changing windows environment it's running under is another question.

You can assign unlimited functions to your right button, your middle button, your forward and back buttons... and to any key on the keyboard, and thats just for starters.

So in other words, your middle pen button can be set to pan your image in photoshop, but at the same time it can also rotate the canvas, switch tools, run .jsx scripts - it overcomes the limitations of Wacom's driver software (ie. middle button = pan/scroll only) so in other words middle button can do 10 different things whenever you want it to. Press it once to pan, press it twice to rotate, etc... or hold it down for 1 second to run a .jsx script, hold it down for two seconds to select the eraser tool, hold it down for 3 seconds to switch to fullscreen mode...and so on... it's unlimited.

Almost all my keyboard shortcuts are programmed into the pen/mouse buttons, so I don't even look at the keyboard while using photoshop anymore.

• 5. Re: Can I change brush diameter without lifting pen [and independently of pressure]?

I tend to stay away from applications that do thing like autohotkey does. When I was younger and braver I wrote code that took over control of keystroke and other system interrupts.  What I most remember about that time in life are the countless number of times I crashed DOS before I got the code to work.....

• 6. Re: Can I change brush diameter without lifting pen [and independently of pressure]?
                    Nic-22473 Level 1

Hi again

Firstly, thank-you very much for taking the time to respond to my question. Its great to have such a supportive community behind photoshop.

The above script does indeed work in the sense that it terminates the stylus click, sends the change brush-size command while photoshop is receptive to it, and then reinitiates a left mouseclick.

Unfortunately I lose pen pressure control after using it - until I lift and reapply the pen - as it initiates a standard left-click which isnt operating through the wacom pen drivers.

It is also recognized by photoshop as a second stroke in the sense of opacity buildup, which is undesired.

[I should have explained more clearly what exact functionality I am seeking to gain in the first post - sorry]

Brush size.png

[im sorry - i shoulda opened with these pictures in my first post (this is my first time on these forums)]

Thanks heaps for your time,

~  Nic.

• 7. Re: Can I change brush diameter without lifting pen [and independently of pressure]?

I just tried setting shape dynamics to pen tilt and transfer to pen Pressure to get your desired results.  However as soon a you touch the pen to the tablet it looks like Wacom Tablet driver lock pen tilt  till you lift the pen,   The closest I can get to you bottom desire result is to set pen Pressure to both Shape Dynamics and Transfer.   And strokes look like Photoshop Brush strokes previews.  Shape Dynamics and Transfer controls can be quickly turned ON and OFF using the icons in the tool option bar.

Capture.jpg

• 8. Re: Can I change brush diameter without lifting pen [and independently of pressure]?
                        Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

You could also look at Lazi Nezumi.

http://lazynezumi.com/features

It's one of those things that having got used to it, you couldn't work without it.  It has a range of options including 'Pressure Speed Scalling'.  (I wonder if the gif will load here?)

http://lazynezumi.com/images/lnpPressureSpeedScaling.gif

Heck, I didn't realise it could do this:!

http://lazynezumi.com/images/lnpDistortionGraph.png

http://lazynezumi.com/images/lnpDistortionSquare.gif

How cool is that?!