6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2014 6:39 AM by Digital Media Mercenary

PE-12 runaway timeline

Digital Media Mercenary

While editing a AVCHD HD project, with over 4 hours of raw video plus many jpegs, (multiple A/V tracks) when creating a new title/adding a text roll, suddenly the timeline begins to runaway -left or right, depending on mouse placement in relation to workflow.  The project crashes when attempting to add the media to the timeline.   I've opened Auto-saved version(s) of the project in question, re-saved and still the problem persists.  I've reviewed previous posts on runaway timelines- relating to mouse drivers etc.  My mouse drivers are up to date and this is a new problem.  Any help would be appreciated.

As a side note - in my feeble attempt to troubleshoot on my own - I was unable to find the .pref file-is there some change in where this file is on Windows 8.1?  With PE-12?

Saved project and all media is on an external HD - LaCie 2TB via USB3

PE-12

TOSHIBA Satellite P75-A

WINDOWS 8.1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU@ 2.40GHz 240GHz

8GB RAM

64-bit OS, x64-based processor

Thanks.

Digital Media Mercenary

• 1. Re: PE-12 runaway timeline
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you ensured that any photos you've used in the project are no larger than 2000x1500 in size?

Have you rendered the timeline (press Enter) whenever you see yellow-orange lines above your video on the timeline in Expert view?

Is your video project really over four hours long? Have you considered working on it in smaller parts, like they do in Hollywood, rather than trying to keep 4 hours of video in the timeline at once?

• 2. Re: PE-12 runaway timeline
            Digital Media Mercenary Level 1

Thanks Steve - to clarify - the project contains about 4 hours of raw media- the finished project in the timeline will be under 1 hour...In a review the jpegs size - nearly all are 3552x2000 - is this an issue?  The scrolling timeline doesn't happen anywhere near where any of the jpegs are in the timeline- but there are over 200 of these jpegs in the raw media for the project; and yes, I've rendered media in the timeline - this runaway timeline continues when attempting to add a text roll.

PE-12

TOSHIBA Satellite P75-A

WINDOWS 8.1

8GB RAM

Thanks.

Digital Media Mercenary

• 3. Re: PE-12 runaway timeline

".In a review the jpegs size - nearly all are 3552x2000 - is this an issue?"

Yes, this is a major issue. Which is why I recommended that you resize them all to no larger than 2000x1500 pixels.

In any event, even an hour is a pretty long timeline. Have you thought about working on your project in 10-15 minute pieces and then assembling the finished parts in a master project?

• 4. Re: PE-12 runaway timeline

OK, deleted the large JPEGs...still an issue with attempting to create a new text roll and position it in the timeline- timeline scrolls then project crashes.  I've successfully created a text roll elsewhere in the timeline and no problem...Something is wierd in this timeline at a certain point/area.

I'm going to work around this but still don't undersand the issue.

In any event, even an hour is a pretty long timeline. Have you thought about working on your project in 10-15 minute pieces and then assembling the finished parts in a master project?

In the past I've had success in both long format edit timelines (up to 2 hours-in fact) and segmented shorter subclips to be assembled into the final program...This shouldn't be an issue- a program under 1 hour.

And BTW - As a side note - in my feeble attempt to troubleshoot on my own - I was unable to find the .pref file-is there some change in where this file is on Windows 8.1?  With PE-12?

PE-12

TOSHIBA Satellite P75-A

WINDOWS 8.1

8GB RAM

Regards,

Digital Media Mercenary

• 5. Re: PE-12 runaway timeline

Nope. It's wherever you saved it.

BTW, are there yellow orange lines above your video clips also on the Expert view timeline (before you rendered it)?

This would be an indication of a mismatch between your video and project settings.

• 6. Re: PE-12 runaway timeline

The project settings match the video content.  I suspect there are some corrupt media files in the project and I'm working to identfy those.  Thanks for your insights.

Regards,

Digital Media Mercenary

PE-12

TOSHIBA Satellite P75-A

WINDOWS 8.1

8GB RAM