Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to your folder where the file was

Right Click

Go to Properties

In the Properties Dialog box go to "Previous Version"

It might be there

• 2. Re: File management time machine PC
          equal justice Level 1

Thank you for your response.  Alas, I see nothing that allows me to go to previous file. 

• 3. Re: File management time machine PC
            MW Design Level 4

You may be able to get part way there...at least this often works well for me.

If you have Acrobat, export as a Word DOCX file, then import it. You will have a lot of things to fix, perhaps. But at least one can often get the document back into ID this way.

Mike

• 4. Re: File management time machine PC
              equal justice Level 1

Thank you for answering.  I did not have any luck with that but these are good things to know for the future.  

• 5. Re: File management time machine PC
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This won't help with your current predicament becasue I'm pretty sure you didn't have it turned on before, but have you turned on Windows own Backup feature? You can use that, or a third-party program to image and backup the computer to a removable drive. If you aren't doing that now, take a hint from this experience and start.

I use a product called Shadow Protect from StorageCraft, and have used Acronis TrueImage in the past. Both allow not only full and incremental backup imaging, but also allow to easily restore a single file or an entire drive in minutes.

• 6. Re: File management time machine PC
                  equal justice Level 1

Thanks for responding and for your advice!  Yes, I need to manage this with back-ups so it does not occur again.  

• 7. Re: File management time machine PC
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Here's some more gratuitous advice, and it may not be practical for you the way youare set up on your computer:

I use different drives for storing the OS/Programs and for storing data files. The data drive is backed up daily so I can't lose more than a day's work (you can back up continuously with some programs, but that is overkill for me), and the OS/Programs drive is backed up weekly, though it need only be done when there are changes. Having a schedlule, though, means I don't have to remember to do it. I keep things isolated like this so I don't have to rebuild the entire system if only part of it goes down, and in the past I have had to restore from image on several occasions -- drives die or you get some weird glitch that can't be easily fixed (my old laptop lost its system dialog display font and I couldn't work without reinstalling the OS). It takes me about a day to install an OS and all my programs on a new system, 40 minutes to replace a failed hardrive and restore the image, including all of the customizations, so the cost of the backup software is absorbed the first time you use it.

Bob Levine is a fan of using Drop Box to keep backup copies of his work, and there are advantages to that approach, as well. Off-site backup probably wont be lost in a fire or flood.

• 8. Re: File management time machine PC
                      equal justice Level 1

Thank-you, again, Peter.