18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2014 1:24 PM by A.T. Romano

My own menu disign?

s_amoraal87

Hello there,

I'm using Photoshop Premiere Elements 11. I want to make a Disc menu with my own style en picture on it. It seems like I am limited to the menus availible in the program. Does anybody know if there is a way to disign my own menu? The most important part is that I want the picture or video in full screen in the main ánd second menu screen.

I hope someone can help me!

Thanks, Simon

• 1. Re: My own menu disign?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on how elaborate your re-design is.

You can work right in the Movie Menu Adjustments workspace and replace the backgroung image, change fonts and change the positions of the various text and buttons on a menu page.

But, if you want to do more elaborate re-designing, it gets pretty high-level and involves picking apart the template files in Photoshop. Which is possible, but can get pretty crazy if you don't know what you're doing and you've never worked with Layer Sets.

• 2. Re: My own menu disign?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Simon,

Welcome to the forum.

For clarification, exactly which Adobe program(s) do you have?

There is Adobe Photoshop Elements (an image editing program),

Adobe Premiere Elements (a video editing program) and seems that you do have this, hence the DVD Menu question,

Adobe Photoshop (Photoshop Elements "big-brother"), and the one that Steve references.

I agree completely with Steve - PrE provides ways to do a lot of customization of the Menu Set Templates, and it's fairly easy to do.

To a degree, Photoshop Elements can do some editing too, but for "from the ground up creation," one would need Photoshop, and a good knowledge of what goes into the creation of a PrE Menu Set. It is not a project for one without experience in the Menu Sets. There are some serious considerations, and especially regarding Layer Set naming conventions.

If you need instructions on customization of the Menu Set Templates in PrE, do not hesitate to ask here. One tip, I would study those Templates, and choose one that is similar in construction to what you want - then build on it from there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: My own menu disign?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Simon

If you create your own disc menu Template from scratch, then you need Photoshop CS or higher to create the main menu and scene menu psd files.

If you modify an existing Adobe disc menu template, you will probably need Photoshop CS or higher unless you can find a version of Photoshop

Elements that will open the Layer Sets in the Layers Palette of the .psd for the menus.

The replacement of background in the Movie Menu section does not often allow for a full replacement of the existing background. But, that can be

done at the editing of the .psd level by replacing the Background Layer in the Layers Palette of the menu's .psd file. In the best case scenario, replacing the Background Layer of the .psd's Layers Palette does not require opening Layer Sets, so Photoshop Elements can be used for the edit of the .psd involved.

What do you want to do? Major overhaul of the menus or focus on getting a full background replacement for the menus?

What specific disc menu did you have in mind?

Please review some of my blog posts

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe-adding-movie-thumbnails-to-disc-main.html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe-scene-menu-customizationdecreasing.html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe-one-page-14-scene-buttons-dvd-menu.html

Then, I will customize a reply for what you want to do with these menus.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: My own menu disign?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

I did not see your post nor Hunt's when I posted mine.

ATR

• 5. Re: My own menu disign?
                  nealeh Level 5

Further to all the other replies, if you don't have or can't afford full Photoshop, the latest version (2.8) of the free GIMP introduced the ability to work with layer sets (see screenshot below). But don't underestimate the potential complexity of the task

For example, from the Birthday Party theme, the file kidsbday_hd_sm.psd  used in the screenshot below contains 154 layers! Note how thin the scroll bar marker I've highlighted is - it's an awful lot of layers to scroll through. As Steve said - it can get pretty crazy.

1.png

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 6. Re: My own menu disign?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Simon,

The task of creating disc menus from scratch or modifying the existing menus at the .psd level of the Adobe disc menu theme is not all that difficult and/or crazy. It is quite easy when you get into it. And, there are ways to make things easier for yourself.

An example has been given regarding the possible task of customizing the scene menu for the kidsbday_hd_sm.psd, pointing to 154 layers in the Layers Layers palette. The text layers for each of the 5 scene layer sets are for 14 different languages, only one is activated. The other 13 sit there unused with their visibility icon set accordingly. Unless, you are making a multi-language disc menu template for distribution and use as such, you can delete 13 of the text layers for each of the 5 scene buttons in the scene menu ,psd. I did not do a count on the total number of layers stated, but given 154, 154 - 65 layers. = down to 89.

A lot will depend on the design of the original template with regard to how much you can help yourself in customizing the .psd. This particular disc menu has exceptionally more layers in the Background and Foreground Layer Sets as others where you would expect to find one Background Layer and no Foreground Layer.

As for the use of GIMP 2.8 Mobile as a substitute for Photoshop....The GIMP Layers area can be expanded so that the scroll bar and most of everything else need not look so compressed. However, the selection of the video editor can make the task easier or harder to see and control. Depending on what you want to do Photoshop Elements may very well be part of the task getting done successfully equation.

No matter what tools, attention to detail is very important down to the typing a name for a text file.

Please do not dismiss the task as difficult and/or crazy until you give a first hand look at what is involved.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: My own menu disign?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

The "difficulty" in creating a Menu Set for PrE lies in the Layer Set naming conventions, and, as you have seen, those are quite strict.

Though I have created many Menu Sets for PrE with Photoshop, I always also have one of the Templates available, to make sure that I miss nothing.

Hunt

• 8. Re: My own menu disign?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Commentary....

I do not go along with

The "difficulty" in creating a Menu Set for PrE lies in the Layer Set naming conventions, and, as you have seen, those are quite strict.

True, you need a map to get from point A to B if you have not been down that route before. And, a strict right or left turn can make a difference in whether you get to your destination or not.

But strict does not have to translate into "difficulty" here. And how tos are needed for most anything. Once you have a reference, you just read and follow the reference. For you, you prefer to reference back to what you see in pre-existing Adobe disc menu template.

It the good old days of Premiere Elements 2, an Adobe document existed which gave the how to with rules. It is my recollection that Steve Grisetti gave the "rules" in an online document for Premiere Elements 3.0 as a model for what existed then. In 2010, the absence of "rules" for versions later than 3, I wrote a very comprehensive how to (going to minute detail) for "Premiere Elements DVD Template Creation"

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56244

I have subsequently gone into specifics of certain menu applications in my blog posts, links to some already cited.

Based on all that, I do not believe that having "one of the Templates available as a reference" is enough of a reference. The difficulty arises when one tries to master the "rules" by looking at the example template in the absence of an overview of the situation.

Today information is available in documents which take a lot of the mystery out of Premiere Elements disc menu template creation.

Attention to detail need not make the task harder. And, there are measures that one can take to make the task easier than harder for himself/herself.

ATR

• 9. Re: My own menu disign?
                          s_amoraal87 Level 1

Thank you all very much for your answers!

Like I said, my main goal is to get full screen pictures of my own in the back of al the menus. With the easy way to change the menu i can't get that done so i'm going to try it the hard way. For doing that i will use your information, thank you for that.

If i have, and i probably will, more questions i will ask them here.

Thanks again, Simon

• 10. Re: My own menu disign?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Simon

You have the best possible situation which can be handled in Photoshop Elements since you do not have to open Layer Sets for what you want to do. You just want to change the Background Layer in the Layers Palette of the menu .psd file.

If you supply the name of the menu involved, I will give you a step by step in this thread through the task so that the details will be specific to your menu of choice.

Thanks for the follow up. Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 11. Re: My own menu disign?
                              s_amoraal87 Level 1

Thank you ATR!

In Dutch it says: 'imitatie breedbeeld' in the menu 'algemeen'. Wich is in English: 'imitation widescreen' in 'general'.

I do have Photoshop CS 6 if needed.

Thank you for your time!

Simon

• 12. Re: My own menu disign?
                                nealeh Level 5

Possibly faux_widescreen - anything like this? The background (naturally enough) is the bottom layer. I suggest that as you have PS-CS6 that is what you should use.

1.png

Assuming it is the two files you need to edit are (on a Windows 7 64-bit system):

2.png

Main Menu:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Premiere Elements\12.0\Online\DVD Templates\All_Lang\General\Faux Widescreen\faux_widescreen_pal_s_mm.psd

Scene Menu:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Premiere Elements\12.0\Online\DVD Templates\All_Lang\General\Faux Widescreen\faux_widescreen_pal_s_sm.psd

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale
                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 13. Re: My own menu disign?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Simon

Thanks for the information. I would have posted sooner but Adobe had the forum closed down for maintenance. I am only now able to post.

While I was waiting to get through, I have written and supplied graphics for accomplishing what you want, that is, a Full not partial replacement for your Faux Widescreen replacement backgrounds.

It is very easy. Photoshop CS or higher is really an overkill for this project. But, if that is all you have and use, that will work.

It is about 2:44 pm here. I need a proof read of the work and then I will be posting the information.

Thanks for taking the time to follow through on the suggestions.

Coming soon.

ATR

• 14. Re: My own menu disign?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Simon

Here is the link to my blog post that I just posted which I hope you will find works for you to get your full instead of partial background replacements for the Premiere Elements 11 Faux Widescreen disc menu.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/03/pe11-full-background-faux-widescreen.html

I have proof read the content several times and am still doing so. It looks OK. But, if you see anything that you need clarification on, please do not hesitate to ask.

Looking forward to your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 15. Re: My own menu disign?
                                      s_amoraal87 Level 1

Hey ATR,

This is the best answer i can get! thank you very much.

The next couple of days i have to work so after that i'm going to focus on your blog! I have taken a short look at your blog and it looks like i'm able to do what i want. Thank you again and I will ask my questions if needed.

Byebye

Simon

• 16. Re: My own menu disign?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Simon

Thanks.

After you get into the disc menu modification, we can also go into the choices of "s" standard, "w" widescreen, and "hd" high definition sets of these .psd files for the themes. Maybe also sizing for the background replacements. Another aspect that you might get into is menu  audio replacement. That has some interesting trivia attached to it

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/11/pe11-and-12-christmas-disc-main-menu.html

And, luckily the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Lost Replacement Background for the disc menus has not surfaced in later versions.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe9-disc-menu-lost-replacement.html

Interestingly, there was an "audio fix" for the lost replacement backgrounds of Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1.

Again, that you for your follow ups. Much appreciated.

Best Wishes

ATR

• 17. Re: My own menu disign?
                                          s_amoraal87 Level 1

Hey ATR,

My first problem has arrived.

In the directory of my computer i can't find the faux menu. The only menu i can find is 'pan and zoom'. I already checkt if i downloaded other menu's than the 'pan and zoom'. Is there another place it can be? or is there a way how i get the needed files in my directory?

Thank you,

Simon

• 18. Re: My own menu disign?
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Simon

Are you in STEP 1 of the

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/03/pe11-full-background-faux-widescreen.html

If so, I think that you may have detoured. Note that the path to the .psd files that you are to modified in STEP 1 is

Local Disk C\Program Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements\11.0\Online\DVD Templates\All_Lang\General\Faux Widescreen.

I suspect that you detoured to Local Disc C\Program Files......

Note: Even I use the Adobe original files to modify from their Adobe location, that is, that Program Data...Online Folder route, I am putting the modified menus in a different location when I have finished modifying the menus, that is.

Local Disk C\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12\DVD Templates\Common

I suspect that is what happened since you are talking about the Pan and Zoom Theme.

So, please recheck the directions at each STEP and then let me know if all is OK.

Thanks.

ATR