4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2014 11:41 AM by A.T. Romano

Looking for a codec to use AVI files on Windows 8

syracusek8

Thanks for you assistance. My new computer using Windows 8 doesn't take a shine to me using AVI files in Adobe Premiere. Prompts me to install a codec. Pretty sure there are a ga'zillion out there. Any suggestions on which is right? And one step further, how to properly install? Best regards!

• 1. Re: Looking for a codec to use AVI files on Windows 8
          A.T. Romano Level 7

syracusek8

What version of Premiere Elements are you using on Windows 8 (assumed 64 bit)?

Could you post the full exact message that you are getting about the program wanting installation of codec? When does this message appear

a. Add Media/Files and Folders (v 11 or 12) or Great Media/Files and Folders (v earlier than 11)?

b. What are the properties of this .avi file that is related to the issue that you present? What is the brand/model/settings for the

camera that is producing this .avi video? Any chance that you are trying to import MotionJPEG.avi file or an AVCHD.avi file?

If you do not know the properties of this .avi file, the brand/model/setting of the camera would probably be the most convenience tool for you

to use to get the information. You could always download and install and use the free utility named gspot to evaluate "codec" issues.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

We will be watching for your details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Looking for a codec to use AVI files on Windows 8
            syracusek8 Level 1

@ATRomano - First, thank you for your reply. I've been trying to correct this problem since purchasing the new computer in Dec, and this is effecting my livelihood.

Here's a what I know.

Downloaded Adobe Premiere 11 from Amazon in June 2013 onto my Sony Vaio laptop running on Windows 7. the AVI files from my Fujifilm Finepix 4500S camera were accepted. The AVI files are titled DSCF0217.AVI. for example.

Computer crashed on T-day, so forced to buy new one. Also a Vaio, this time running on Windows 8. AVI files from my Fugifilm Finepix 4500S no longer work. Says I need a codec.

Went to Best Buy. They spent two hours on it, nothing. There solution since the AVI files worked on Windows Media player, was to start uses Sony Vaio's editing software the comes with the computer, really?

Then all of a sudden, the program is gone. Completely removed from my computer. All the projects and video/pics in elements included.

So last night I redownloaded the software from Amazon. Thank goodness they kept the serial number.

Surprisingly, the projects are still there, though when I open them most of the files in the timeline are AVI and appear as "Media Offline."

When I try to add new AVI files to the time I receive this error message - "This type of file is not supports, or requires a codec to be installed."

• 3. Re: Looking for a codec to use AVI files on Windows 8
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AVI is a wrapper... what is inside YOUR wrapper?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 4. Re: Looking for a codec to use AVI files on Windows 8
                A.T. Romano Level 7

syracusek8

Sorry I could not get to you sooner. The Adobe system has been done for "maintenance".

I have your answer. You camera is recording MotionJPEG.avi files which can be highly problematic for Premiere Elements. It is a debate often between the codec not being present versus the codec not being available to Premiere Elements.

At any rate the resolution can be found

a. check the camera for a utility that came with it...when installed that will most likely supply the codec needed for the use of that source media

b. if no camera utility, then you can look at the Morgan MotionJPEG video codec. It is not free but after you look at the tryout and it works for you, then you can decide if it is worth the investment. (I think that it is OK for Windows 8 but I have not tried it for that...I have seen some notes where it is supposed to be.)

c. convert the MotionJPEG.avi into another format that is supported by Premiere Elements....if you give us the frame size and frame rate of your source video, I will suggest an appropriate conversion product to try.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR