6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2014 6:05 PM by Noel Carboni

Mircrosoft Windows Data exclution.

Isolina2

Microsoft Windows Data Exclution is preventing Photoshop to run. Can  someone help me figure this out. I have tried to change the settings in the performance menu of Microsoft Windows but it won't allow me to change it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you! Jazmin

• 1. Re: Mircrosoft Windows Data exclution.
          Mike M Level 6

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Change-Data-Execution-Prevention-settings?Sign edIn=1

DEP is useless as long as you have good A/V software. Disable it permamently.

You MUST be logged on as an admin to change DEP settings.

• 2. Re: Mircrosoft Windows Data exclution.
            Isolina2 Level 1

Thanks for responding. I have tried to turn DEP off but it won't let me. Do you know how I can get around this?

Thank you so much,

Jazmin

• 3. Re: Mircrosoft Windows Data exclution.
              Mike M Level 6

Warning: Do not use this option if you are not an administrator. Make sure that you fully understand what you are doing.

From the Start menu, select All Programs, then go to Accessories and then finally right-click on Command Prompt and click Run as Administrator.

Once the command prompt is open, you can now disable the DEP by entering the following command line.

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

Keep the Command Prompt open and run the executable file that DEP was preventing from running before. After you are done with the installation, simply type this command line to enable DEP back on again.

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

command prompt DEP

If you want to completely disable DEP then you will have to remove “{current}” from the command line.

bcdedit.exe /set nx AlwaysOff

And to enable it back,

bcdedit.exe /set nx AlwaysOn

After you execute using the command prompt, the options from Data Execution Prevention tab in Performance options will vanish.

You can use OptIn and OptOut to give it a purpose,

OptIn – Enables DEP only for operating system components, including the Windows kernel and drivers.

bcdedit.exe /set nx OptIn

OptOut - Enables DEP for the operating system and all processes, including the Windows kernel and drivers. However, administrators can disable DEP on selected executable files by using System in Control Panel.

bcdedit.exe /set nx OptOut

• 4. Re: Mircrosoft Windows Data exclution.
                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Here is how my system is set and I have not problems to speak of

Capture.jpg

• 5. Re: Mircrosoft Windows Data exclution.
                  Isolina2 Level 1

Thank you so much Mike!

• 6. Re: Mircrosoft Windows Data exclution.
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

You do not need to disable the data execution prevention feature to use Photoshop.  Any advice proposing disabling it to run Photoshop is bogus.

If the system is claiming you're trying to execute data then that's abnormal and you have a system problem you need to solve before trying to run Photoshop.

My suggestion would be that you may have a display driver problem.

-Noel