8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2014 12:13 AM by Trevor.Dennis

Photoshop or Illustrator to create bumps like a cupcake would have?

Androidfan90

Which is better to use? Photoshop or Illustrator to make the bumpy lines a "flat" (ex. think of the shadow of a cupcake maybe) cupcake icing at the top would have? Like this except more professional looking (made this in a couple minutes):

http://s22.postimg.org/o7w19hwe9/cupcake.png

And how would I make it?

• 1. Re: Photoshop or Illustrator to create bumps like a cupcake would have?
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Either program can create the curved lines like that. But thinking outloud, you could just use the ellipse shape and stack them. But that would assume you would want to see the front edge of each ellipse.

Illustrator has an easy way to merge the shapes if you prefer no front edge.

• 2. Re: Photoshop or Illustrator to create bumps like a cupcake would have?
            Androidfan90 Level 1

Thanks. Can you please give me instructions for both porgrams?

• 3. Re: Photoshop or Illustrator to create bumps like a cupcake would have?

Here is an example using illustrator.

cupcake.png

here is the outline view:

cupcake-outline.png

The transform is used to make the multiple copies of the the ellipse. It is also used to scale down the size of it.

• 4. Re: Photoshop or Illustrator to create bumps like a cupcake would have?

Here is a similar version in photoshop.

The scaling of the ellipses is a bit more difficult, but do able. In that you need to scale each one seperately instead of all at once like illustrator. I added some styles to the image and filters to give it more texture but as you can see is quite exagerated. But maybe it will give you some ideas. The ellipses and the bottom were converted to smart objects. Which groups the ellipses and makes it simple to edit the filters later on.

photoshopped-cupcake.png

Updated image to add groves for paper and remove some of the highlight.

• 5. Re: Photoshop or Illustrator to create bumps like a cupcake would have?
                  Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I prefer Photoshop, because a) I am shite with Illustrator, and b) IMO a thing like this is all about shadows and highlights, with pretty much no lines at all.  So my version started with a number of vertical black lines, which I copied and inverted.  That gave me the case flutes, so I Free Transformed using Perspective to taper the two layers.

The wavy lines are something I could not have done so easily even a week ago, as they were very easily produced using the new Distortion effect in Lazy Nezumi.  That tool is the best $20 add on for Photoshop by miles.  I just laid an arbitrary sine wave across the page, and used FT to match the pitch to the case, and Warp > Curve to make the curve.  The lines were used to mask the case to, and then turned off.

The pink top started with a flat ellipse filled with pink.  That layer was copied three times and spaced out using the Move > Align tools.  Then FT to make the perspective.

OK, it did get just a tiny bit tricky here, but only because you need a lot of layers, and need to keep track of them.  I made a selection of all four layers combined, and used that to add a layer mask to all the topping layers. 

Each pink oval has two versions - one sharp, the other blurred, so I could have a soft transition between the layers.

The hard versions also have drop shadows, which are there to give the shadows between the pink layers.  I had to rasterize all those drop shadows with Create Layer, so I could mask out the over flow, but the afore mention layer mask took care of most of that.

It would be nice if I could have used Layer styles for the highlights, but that would have been tricky because of the curves, so I ran a straight white line which I FT'd to shape and then blurred.

The cherry is all layer styles.

Hundreds & Thousands used brush dynamics. 100% scatter jitter.  100% Hue jitter.  Fully hard brush.  The the smallest drop shadow I could manage to make them look real.

There is an upside down drop shadow on the case layer, to make the pink top look like it is overflowing the case, and a tiny Bevel & Emboss because it looked better.

Two shadows beneath the case, one hard and small, and one big and soft.  That is the minimum I'd do for shadows. 

About an hours work, but if I wasn't doing that, I'd be practicing some other way, and if we didn't enjoy the process, we wouldn't be here.

Cake.jpg

• 6. Re: Photoshop or Illustrator to create bumps like a cupcake would have?

Thats nice looking. The perspective is much more beleivable than mine.

• 7. Re: Photoshop or Illustrator to create bumps like a cupcake would have?

Thanks Bruce.  I just can't get the hang of Photoshop 3D, so I have to do it by eye with shadows and highlights.  I usually use FT and drag corner handles with the Ctrl key, but with the cake case I used the FT warp tools in the options bar to make the curves (by eye) and then used Gaussian blur to turn white and black lines into highlights and shadows.  Plus layer style of course.  They save a ton of time, and make it feel like cheating because it is so easy.

[EDIT]  I'd better clarify that the crinkly bits on the case were done with Lazy Nezumi's new Distortion feature. It is such a usefull tool, and I can see young Guillaume having his little company bought from under him by Adobe.  I sure hope he has some patents in place.

At the moment there is no way to draw the offset along a straight line, so I set the distortion to sine wave, and drew along a ruler on my tablet.  I have spoken to Guillaume about this, and he is working on an update to fix this.

http://lazynezumi.com/images/lnpDistortionSquare.gif

• 8. Re: Photoshop or Illustrator to create bumps like a cupcake would have?

But mostly LN is about making nice smooth curves and straight lines.  Distortion has opened up heaps of interesting possibilities though.  The top left magenta line is free hand with LN (I am hopeless without it), and the rest used various settings with Distortion.  Flower has a couple of fractal layers with a bit of filling in for effect. 

Lazy Nezumi.jpg