6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2014 8:38 AM by JudgeWolf

Macbook Pro 15 Inch Retina

JamieCullum Level 1

Hello,

I was thinking about building my own PC but have thought that i might want an okay portable editing machine. I'm just curious as to whether the Macbook Pro 15 Inch Retina would allow me to edit video in Premiere and light AE at real time with some effects like colour grading on red giant magic bullet looks etc. I was also wondering if the render speeds would take a ridiculous amount of time?

The specs of the Macbook are

• 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
      • Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
      • 16GB 1600MHz memory
      • 512GB PCIe-based flash storage
      • Intel Iris Pro Graphics
      • NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
        with 2GB GDDR5 memory
      • Built-in battery (8 hours)

I want it to be lightish and powerful and the mac seems to do both and have a good reputation for the longevity of their devices. I have used Laptop's for ages and haven't been satistified as of yet and am thinking a change from Windows to Mac would be nice and i would also like to start to use Logic Pro X

Any advice is welcome, thanks

• 1. Re: Macbook Pro 15 Inch Retina
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The general suggestion is to at least have a second drive for "happy" Premiere Pro video editing.  That is a shortcoming of that unit.  I have a relatively new laptop that has two disk drive bays with SSD's in both and scores very well on our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM7).  So far I have done limited editing on it as I have a much more powerfull desktop, but it does seem to work well with Premiere CC (7).  Fortunately your MacBook Pro does have and nVidia GPU which will give you GPU hardware acceleration for MPE accelerated effects and features.

You do have to register on the PPBM7 site to see the results 

• 2. Re: Macbook Pro 15 Inch Retina
            JamieCullum Level 1

The reason i have chosen to go mac over pc is due to logic and the longevity of their devices, so with your comment editing on the MBPr should be good enough or good for a portable machine?

• 3. Re: Macbook Pro 15 Inch Retina
              jasonvp Level 3

JamieCullum wrote:

The reason i have chosen to go mac over pc is due to logic and the longevity of their devices, so with your comment editing on the MBPr should be good enough or good for a portable machine?

I think you sort of breezed over Bill's suggestions and guidance regarding storage.  The MBP Retina (with discrete GPU) is an adequate laptop for editing, but it only has one disk and that's the internal flash drive.  Premiere really likes separate drives for various editing tasks (media, scratch, projects, etc).  With that, it might also make sense to invest in a few Thunderbolt 2 external drive enclosures that are portable.  The challenge with them is you'll also need to power them somehow.

• 4. Re: Macbook Pro 15 Inch Retina
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thank you Jason

Here is a graphic that Harm produced for his PPBM7 Tweakers page.  It shows (among other things) what various codecs require more disk intensive systems. Harm-codec-graphic.jpg

With your single disk system you probably can do realtime editing on codecs on the lower line on media like DV and maybe HDV.  On the other more disk intensive media's you will get progressively more stuttering and jerking.

• 5. Re: Macbook Pro 15 Inch Retina
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

AE is not Realtime and wont be. However the ram preview should be decent. I just wouldn't render much on the MBP because that kind of heat over long time frames will eventually thermal burn your CPU. The cooling in those is not meant to handle that kind of heat for over 12 hours at a time constantly.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: Macbook Pro 15 Inch Retina
                    JudgeWolf Level 1

I'm in the same boat ... and now there is a new gen of MBPs, with 2.8 GHz / 4.0 TB.

Does this "TurboBoost" actually "work" in Premiere/AE when rendering?

How will the 2.8 model compare to my 3.2 GHz 6-core Xeon Hackintosh?

And is it worth it to get the $500 upgrade to 1TB PCIe, or am I better off getting an external Thunderbolt-attached SSD?

(Hard to find a thunderbolt enclosure; but 512GB SSD is around $220)

I need to be able to edit multicamera (4 streams) of H264 compressed HD.

thanks!