6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2014 3:31 PM by Barbara B. RSS

PSE 6 crashes upon launching app?

debho Community Member

On my Mac G4 running OS 10.4.11,  PSE 6 started crashing upon launching the app shortly after I installed Photoshop CS5.1 on my iMac which is networked to this computer. I have tried reinstalling Elements with the network disconnected, to no avail. It used to work beautifully. Can anyone help me? Please?!!!! By the way, PSE 6 is also on my iMac and works beautifully on it. It just won't open on the G4 anymore.

• 1. Re: PSE 6 crashes upon launching app?
          Barbara B. ACP/MVPs

Quit PSE, then relaunch it while holding down command+option+shift. Keep the keys down till you see a window asking if you want to delete the settings file. You do.

• 2. Re: PSE 6 crashes upon launching app?
            debho Community Member

Thanks, I had already tried as you suggested. Restarted the computer and tried again. This time I got a window say the app had moved and it needed to update some settings, I said OK. It asked me for my password. Then it proceeded like it might open, but the app crashed again. So I tried one more time, and got the window asking if I wanted to delete the settings file. I did and it promptly proceeded to crash. I found an old copy of Elements 2 on a back up harddrive as well as Elements 6 and tried opening them from the back up hard drive, and both apps crash before launching. Any more ideas?

• 3. Re: PSE 6 crashes upon launching app?
              Barbara B. ACP/MVPs

There is nothing in the world that will make PSE 2 run in 10.4. Where did you install PSE 6 when you reinstalled it? It must be in your main applications folder (not the applications folder under your username) in order to work properly.

• 4. Re: PSE 6 crashes upon launching app?
                debho Community Member

PSE2 was on an old hard drive as part of a back up of a very old iMac - I guess I am getting a little impatient. We can forget the PSE2. I just want to be able to get PSE6 up and running on my G4 which is running 10.4.11.  Should I try reinstalling PSE6 again - but do so after I uninstall it first? And how would I uninstall it - am I correct in assuming that one cannot just drag the app to the trash?

• 5. Re: PSE 6 crashes upon launching app?
                  debho Community Member

I happened to find an old discussion of yours from 2010 where you were trying to help someone with the same problem. You recommended going into the username>library>preferences file and deleting 4 of the PSE preference files and then run repair permissions. I did as you suggested. I also read where the twain plug-in can cause problems too, so I put those plug-in in a separate folder and hid them in my documents folders. Voila! PSE 6 launched and is working fine! I found the old discussion through a google search. So thank you for your past and present help! I do not have a scanner hooked up to this computer anymore, so I shouldn't need the twain plug-ins.

• 6. Re: PSE 6 crashes upon launching app?
                    Barbara B. ACP/MVPs

Glad you got it resolved. Yes, deleting the preferences the long way would have been the next step.