6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2014 10:01 PM by Trevor.Dennis

Default Brush sizes gone

phthalojohan Level 1

I was using photoshop CC this morning, when I realised that my default brush sizes have gone.

Capture.PNG

There are several brushes on top with no numbers associated with them. Previously, I would chose a brush, modify its brush size, and then on clicking anyone of the other brushes, the size would go back to the default setting (e.e.g I use the first brush, change it to 100 px, want to use something smaller, chose the second, brush size goes back to the default 10 px). Now when I chose different brushes the brush size remains the same.

I can color with the larger brush size no problem, its just that it's quite irritating to have to change from the work mode I am used to.

I reset all my tools to default, but it doesn't seem to help. Does anybody know if there is any setting I can revert to solve this?

• 1. Re: Default Brush sizes gone
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

That's normal  some don't have a size set they just use the current size, If you hold you mouse cursor over these you will see a descriptive name pop up that give you an idea of the type of brush they are.  These Lets you quickly change brush type without changing current  brush size.

• 2. Re: Default Brush sizes gone
            phthalojohan Level 1

I see!

Ah well, thank heavens I haven't buggered up my photoshop by accidentally clicking some settings... thanks for helping JJ Mack

• 3. Re: Default Brush sizes gone
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

You cal also turn on the brush stroke preview get a better idea of how the brush strokes

Capture.jpg

• 4. Re: Default Brush sizes gone
                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

You could try resetting the brushes, but I think JJ is right.  The second and third pair of soft and hard brushes have different properties which you can see by hovering over them so long as you have tool tips enabled in Preferences.  They are only usable with a tablet though.

FYI the default brush set is called 'Standard' so don't deleteing that set from your hard drive.

• 5. Re: Default Brush sizes gone
                  phthalojohan Level 1

... I learnt something new today O_O

Ashamed to admit I had no idea that the first few brushes had different settings to opacity and size! I was looking for that setting. thought I had to download some special brush or something, I had no idea it was already there. Thank you so much Trevor and JJMack!

• 6. Re: Default Brush sizes gone
                    Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

A question for other tablet users.  The third pair in the Standard set are 'Pressure controls opacity' which you'd think useful for building up tone when retouching.  However, I can't get less than 50% opacity with my Intuos4.  This is with the default tablet settings, which I know are so, because I only installed Windows, Photoshop, and the latest Wacom driver last Wednesday.

Can anyone get better control with that setting, and if so, what hardware and Preference settings are you using?

[EDIT]  I'll answer my own question as I have now found I can get better control - much better control - with Tip Feel set to maximum.  Goodness knows why I have never thought to try that before, and after a quick play, the pen/tablet appear to be better all round set to fully firm, so thank you phthalojohan for prompting me to look into it.