16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2014 7:10 PM by A.T. Romano

Problem uploading video

GIGO

Today I bought a 4-pin to 9-pin Firewire and began the long overdue process of uploading some old camcorder videos.  I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 11 on an iMac.  The first three tapes went like clockwork.  They uploaded fine, I saved them, and can view and edit.  All was well.

Then I switched to a set of DV tapes that my brother in law wanted me to upload.  Every one of those tapes causes me problems.  I get several types of errors:

- VTDecoderXPCservice quit unexpectedly

- Recorder captured no frames

- and sometimes it just closes the program entirely

These are all DV tapes.  Mine work flawlessly.  The others cause a crash every single time.  I can see them all on the camcorder view screen...they work fine.  But on the capture screen within elements the image is frozen or really laggy and jumpy...and then the error hits. 

I've gone into the settings and unchecked the stuff dealing with timecode...still no help.

I'd appreciate any help on this one...I've been working on it for most of the day.

Interestingly...the iMovie program seems to have no problem uploading the tapes.  Although the program will upload the videos it's really not an option since that program takes forever to process anything.  I tried to do it but when I got a message box that started telling me it would take 5 hours...and then crept up to 10 hours...I quit. 

• 1. Re: Problem uploading video
          shooternz Level 6

Solution

Capture the files in iMovie then edit them in Elements.

FWIW: Capture is the term...not upload.

• 2. Re: Problem uploading video
            GIGO Level 1

I'd rather get Adobe to work than settle for a program that will take half a day just to capture 2 hours of video. 

• 3. Re: Problem uploading video
              the_wine_snob Level 9

GIGO,

Welcome to the forum.

As you are using Premiere Elements 11, on your Mac, I will Move your post to the Premiere Elements Forum.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Moved to Premiere Elements Forum]

• 4. Re: Problem uploading video
                A.T. Romano Level 7

GIGO

Please confirm if you are doing DV data (4:3 or 16:9) or HDV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements Capture Window. For now I am assuming DV based on

These are all DV tapes.

Is the Premiere Elements project preset set to agree with the source?

1. From what I have read the VTDecoderSPCservice error would be consistent with a corrupt video file.

2. The Reporter Captured No Frames makes me wonder about dropped frames and Timecode breaks in the DV data capture.

What are your settings under Premiere Elements Expert workspace, Edit Menu/Preferences/Capture and the options for

Abort capture on dropped frames

Report dropped frames

Use device control Timecode

ATR

• 5. Re: Problem uploading video
                  GIGO Level 1

A.T Romano,

FIrst off...thanks for the help!  Second...I'm a noob...and I really don't understand all of the questions but I'll do my best to figure them out.

Currently I am capturing "DV".  I select that from the drop down box I'm given when I start.  As part of my trouble shooting process though I tried to capture them using the "HDV" setting and still had the same problem. 

Whenever I start a video capture Elements gives me a message saying something to the effect that my project settings differ from my capture settings (I'm going by memory on that so the phrasing could be a little bit different).  This message is contained in a small pop-up box.  I had no idea which settings to change so I close it and continue with the capture.  This works fine on most of the tapes...they get captured and I'm off to the races. 

The second group of tapes that I got from my brother in law don't work under any circumstance or setting.  I tried isolating variables by unchecking and checking various settings like "abort dropped frames" and "report dropped frames".  I also unchecked all settings I could find that had to do with timecodes. 

It still pukes and dies when I try to use the brother-in-law tapes. 

• 6. Re: Problem uploading video
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

GIGO

Thanks for the reply. For the moment, let us focus on

Whenever I start a video capture Elements gives me a message saying something to the effect that my project settings differ from my capture settings

Based on your good results with your own video, what did you record - DV data 4:3 or DV data 16:9? Did you set the Premiere Elements project preset manually before the capture (Add Media/DV Camcorder) or did you let the program do that task automatically?

If you have DV data 4:3, then the project preset should be NTSC DV Standard.

If you have DV data 16:9, then the project preset should be NTSC DV Widescreen.

If you are not doing the project preset setting yourself, you can check what the program did for you by looking at Premiere Elements Expert workspace Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the reading for Editing Mode/Timebase/Frame Size/Pixel Aspect Ratio, whether they are grayed out or not..

In the case of your brother-in-law's tapes...

a. Find out if he has given you DV or HDV data? If HDV, then the project preset would be NTSC HDV HDV 1080i30.

The DV should be putting a 720 x 480 file on your Timeline; whereas, HDV should be putting a 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 file.

Once we are sure that the project settings are correct for the footage to be captured, then we can look into other factors.

Thanks.

ATR

Add on...I am strictly an Elements Windows user. I am assuming that what I have written above is common to both the Windows and Mac Premiere Elements that you are using. Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

• 7. Re: Problem uploading video
                      GIGO Level 1

I let Elements do all settings automatically...becuase i have zero idea what I would change or why.  They say a picture is worth a thousand words...so rather than write a novel I thought maybe some screenshots of my default settings might be useful.  Please let me know if I need to get any more data...

Also, I don't know how to tell if the DV was shot in 4:3 or 16:9.

Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 4.22.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 4.22.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 4.22.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 4.22.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 4.23.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 4.23.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 4.23.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 4.23.38 PM.png

• 8. Re: Problem uploading video
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

GIGO

Thanks for helpful information which is consistent with a Premiere Elements 11 Mac DV data (4:3) capture firewire into

Premiere Elements 11 Capture Window. But, I would ask, "Do these represent the settings for your good results with your own DV data source? And, when you were getting these good results, were you hit with any of those camera/Premiere Elements 11 mismatch messages? Another If so, in spite of these mismatch messages, did the program allow you to go on with the capture and still get good results?

With these miniDV cameras often it is possible to record DV as 4:3 standard or 16:9 widescreen. Both have the same frame size, but widescreen 16:9 has a flag included to stretch the video for display after encoding. If we are talking about your results, not results from the work that you did for your brother-in-law, and you are getting those "mismatch messages", you should consider that you might have  recorded DV 16:9, not 4:3 and then do the following:

a. Open your new project

b. In the Premiere Elements workspace, go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

c. In the Change Settings dialog set for NTSC DV Widescreen

d. In the new project dialog you see before exiting the area, put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

e. Then go back to the Premiere Elements 11 workspace Add Media/DV Camcorder and do your capture firewire.

As for your brother in law's video data...he could have a timecode issue, dropped frames, or it is not clear whether he has recorded

DV standard or widescreen or HDV. Can you confirm with him what his recording settings were?

ATR

• 9. Re: Problem uploading video
                          GIGO Level 1

Those are the settings I've been using and have gotten successful results on all of my own DV captures. 

I get the following message on every single capture that I do...even the successful ones:

Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 5.21.19 PM.png

I just executed steps "a" through "e" on your list...and I no longer get the message above!  Thanks!  That is a relief...I never would have known to dig down into that sub-menu and make changes. 

With regard to my brother in laws videos...no way to determine the settings on the camera. The tapes are of wildlife on a farm that he purchased.  He got the tapes from the guy that sold the farm so there's no way to tell anything about the settings that were originally used. 

Will an HDV tape play on a DV player?  I can view all of the tapes on my DV camcorder...just can't capture them with Elements.  I'm not sure if that clue helps but it's one of the few that I can offer. 

• 10. Re: Problem uploading video
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

GIGO

Great news. I am left to believe that you recorded DV data 16:9 widescreen and that the automatic project setting by the program messed up somehow giving you the DV data 4:3 settings. But, glad that is resolved.

Now for your brother-in-law's footage. We can get back to drop frames and Timecode breaks later. Right now let us look at Premiere Elements settings as the problem. Let us assume that his source is HDV data rather than DV data.

a. Open your new project

b. In the Premiere Elements workspace, go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

c. In the Change Settings dialog set for NTSC HDV HDV 1080i30

d. In the new project dialog you see before exiting the area, put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

e. Then go back to the Premiere Elements 11 workspace Add Media/HDV Camcorder and do your capture firewire.

Did that solve any of the problems? Or same as before?

Looking forward to the results.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 11. Re: Problem uploading video
                              GIGO Level 1

I executed steps "a" through "e" and things changed a little but I got no video captured.

Before I would see a few frames of video in the capture screen, but they would be jumpy...maybe one out of every 10 frames would appear...then it would lock up and give me an error.

This time, after executing the steps above, I got no errors...but nothing showed up in the capture screen.  When I hit the red "capture" button the camcorder began playing, but nothing showed up in the capture screen...it remained black.  Also the red dot didn't change to the "pause" button as it normally does...after I hit it, it just remained the same red dot it was before.

After I did that I went back into the "change settings" screen and switched to the other type of HDV option they had listed...no luck there either. 

• 12. Re: Problem uploading video
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

GIGO

Thanks for the follow ups.

Please review the following if you have not already to see if there are any steps that you might be bypassing for a possible HDV capture firewire

http://help.adobe.com/fr_FR/premiereelements/using/WS5CDA0F91-60F1-4b79-ABF6-E9E75F498DB2. html#WS2AF26FB5-4C63-4c46-9DB3-7249558F6528

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Problem uploading video
                                  nealeh Level 5

If there is still a possibility that your brothers tapes are DV (and not HDV), then something else you could try is to perform the capture with one of the two free programs WinDV or Exsate Capture Live (Google them for downloads). Many, including myself, use these in preference to PRE anyway as both are more tolerant of minor tape glitches that can sometime cause a premature stop of PRE capture.

Both free programs do much the same (i.e. capture DV over FireWire). WinDV is the simpler of the two but will not preview the audio capture (but is DOES capture it). Exsate allows audio preview plus can capture in more than one format (you want DV Type 2) but has a really tiny video preview screen.

If you want to give them a try they are mostly self explanatory, but if you need help post back for more info.

[EDIT] Ooops - I missed the fact that you were running on Mac. Both the programs I suggested are for Windows. There do seems to be freeware DV capture programs for Mac though - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=apple+mac+dv+capture. [/EDIT]

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale
                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 14. Re: Problem uploading video
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

GIGO

Just to clarify for others reading your thread....

I have asked you to look at the possiblity of HDV data rather than DV data capture firewire since you indicated originally that your brother in law's footage was not working in Premiere Elements with the DV data setup which worked for your footage.

And, reminder...at the onset you said that the footage worked with iMovie though labored

Interestingly...the iMovie program seems to have no problem uploading the tapes.  Although the program will upload the videos it's really not an option since that program takes forever to process anything.  I tried to do it but when I got a message box that started telling me it would take 5 hours...and then crept up to 10 hours..

and you replied to another who suggested iMovie for the capture...

I'd rather get Adobe to work than settle for a program that will take half a day just to capture 2 hours of video.

Reference posts thread introduction and posts 1 and 2.

At this time, I am waiting for your review of the Adobe documentation on Capture and your ruling in or out conclusively a HDV source so that we can go on to Timecode breaks and dropped frame considerations.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Problem uploading video
                                      GIGO Level 1

AT,

Sorry for the delay...I got jammed with jury duty this week...what a joy that was. 

At this point I'm certain it's not HDV.  Due to a time crunch, last night I decided to use a Rube Goldberg method to get the footage I needed. 

Once I deleted all of the thumbnails in the iMovie library I could use iMovie again (previously it was locked up an a 72 hour mission to digest all of the thumbnails it had generated when capturing the video).   I could also view the tape in the iMovie viewer.  Rather than try to import the tape, I opened Quicktime and used screen-capture feature to grab the pieces I was viewing in iMovie.  I then created .mov files, saved them to the desktop, and than imported them to Elements. 

In the end it was the best I could do with the time I had.

I thank you GREATLY for all of the help and you solved a big problem for me with the inital fix that kept the popup box from telling me that my settings are wrong.  I'm sticking a fork in it...'cause this one's done!

• 16. Re: Problem uploading video
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

GIGO

You did great. You are to be congratulated on your innovations in getting the task done.

You are a born troubleshooter.

Best wishes

ATR