3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2009 4:46 PM by jsteinmann

php / mysql discussion board recommendations

jsteinmann Level 1
      Most of the discussion boards I've seen on the internet are 1. way more than I need function wise 2. severely bloated 3. difficult to integrate into existing design and database. Like most things, I find it easier 99% of the time to develop my own apps then try and mod / fix open source. However, if anyone has some recommendations I'm willing to give them a try. I just want a very simple discussion board that I can plug write into my existing css layout.
        • 1. Re: php / mysql discussion board recommendations
          jsteinmann Level 1
          I already have access control setup, don't need or want any registration or login related items. Just a simple forum to drop right into the existing layout, formated and ready to go with all the forms, smileys, etc. that one would expect.
          • 2. Re: php / mysql discussion board recommendations
            Level 7
            > Most of the discussion boards I've seen on the internet are 1. way more
            > than I
            > need function wise 2. severely bloated 3. difficult to integrate into
            > existing design and database.

You've obviously got very specific requirements and have done prior
            research.

I guess it would help if you indicate the names of solutions you've already
            checked out and have decided are not suitable e.g. phpBB?

Might just be me but I find it tough understanding what other people mean by
            value judgements such as way more than I need, severely bloated etc.

Is this the site for which you need a simple forum?
            http://204.9.76.21/forums/index.php

--
            Regards

John Waller

• 3. Re: php / mysql discussion board recommendations
              jsteinmann Level 1
              phpbb which is a solution that seems to fight tooth and nail against the default. I even got it looking decent, but it's like rebuilding a new site. I want to take something I plug right into something I already have instead of hack the heck of something as bloated as phpbb that is trying to appeal to everyone when I dont need 3/4 of it. In the time I spent on modifying phpbb, i could have built my own from scratch. In the end it still didn't do what I wanted.

tried phorum which looked promising since it was such a dumbed down prebuilt, but alas I got errors out that kazoo even with their default layout.

just haven't found a solution so I may end up just building my own.