5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2014 12:56 AM by c.pfaffenbichler

PS CC 14.2.1 Quick Mask Bug Report...

GrizzlyHippo

Since updating to PS CC 14.2.1 I have a 100% repeatable problem when using Quick Mask:

Open a flattened image, press Q to enter Quick Mask, then double click the background to turn it into a layer (Layer 1), try using gradient tool to 'paint' in the quick mask and instead of getting the red quick mask, the gradient is black and has been 'painted' onto the new Layer 1.

To proceed from here you have undo then exit and enter Quick Mask, then the gradient tool works as expected and paints a gradient in Quick Mask red.

If you turn background into a layer before entering Quick Mask everything works normally.

There seem to be A LOT of bugs and slow speed issues in the current batch of CC programmes especially Photoshop and InDesign. Adobe, please hold off releasing these things until they are thoroughly tested.

Tom.

• 1. Re: PS CC 14.2.1 Quick Mask Bug Report...
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

There seem to be A LOT of bugs and slow speed issues in the current batch of CC programmes especially Photoshop and InDesign. Adobe, please hold off releasing these things until they are thoroughly tested.

Are you being serious?

Please check the Channels Panel.

If you perform a Layer operation Photoshop has to switch to the composite Channels.

• 2. Re: PS CC 14.2.1 Quick Mask Bug Report...
            GrizzlyHippo Level 1

Err, yes, I am being serious. I have never found this before, otherwise I wouldn't have posted the problem here. Thanks for your 'kind' words!

• 3. Re: PS CC 14.2.1 Quick Mask Bug Report...
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Perhaps a bug was fixed in CC.  You wrote that you used "Q" to enter quick mask mode for the background layer.   Quick Mask mode should not be an available option for the background layer for the background layer does not support transparency and can not be masked.

However it look like Photoshop allows you to enter quick mask mode even when there is only a background layer, If you then change the background layer to a normal layer and use the gradient tool though the quick mask icon in the tool bar indicates your in quick mask mode when you use the gradient you wind up painting on the converted and targeted layer. I tested CS2 CS5 CS6 perpetual and CS6 subscription and CC all seem to work the same way the converted targeted layer get painted on.

Converting the background layer seems to target that layer but not reset the quick mask icon in the tool palette. Click the quick mask icon twice after converting the background  layer will solve your problem.   I feel the real problem is that Photoshop allows you to enter quick mask mode on a background layer. It should not be an option for background layers can not be masked.

Quick mask mode though can be useful for making selection on a background but the newer versions of Photoshop have the quick selection tool.

• 4. Re: PS CC 14.2.1 Quick Mask Bug Report...
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I have never found this before

This is no bug.

If you perform an operation that affects the Composite Channels naturally those have to become selected in the Channels Panel and the Quick Mask Channel is deselected but still there.

Same as it was in CS6, CS5, …

Edit: Reselecting the Quick Mask Chennel via the proper Keyboard Shortcut seems to work fine.

Also you should be aware that this is a user to user Forum, so you are not really addressing Adobe here, even though some Adobe employees thankfully have been dropping by.

• 5. Re: PS CC 14.2.1 Quick Mask Bug Report...
                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

GrizzlyHippo, in which exact version of Photoshop was this behaviour different?