12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2014 1:33 PM by ShinyDawn999

About creating an action in Acrobat XI

ShinyDawn999 Level 1

Hello! long time ago i downloaded the "insert 1 blank page at the end of the document if the page count is odd" action and used it with acrobat 7.0. now i upgraded to acro XI and when i tried to import that action i got a message saying that if i import an action created with an old acro version i wont benefit completely from the capabilities of acro XI. so im thinking ok i will just create a new action with acro XI and there just paste the code from the old action. did that, but... things are now different than how i knew them. the way i need the action to behave is: prompt me to select the files, then prompt me to select a save location for the modified files, then it should run its course alone. i cant get that here... it pops up this window with the code for each file i select, makes me angry.. so im asking you how can i get it to behave like it did in acro 7?select the files, select save location, action running, no files opened, no messages, end of action.

thanks a bunch!

• 1. Re: About creating an action in Acrobat XI
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Yes, it changed a lot, and not for the better...

To get rid of that idiotic prompt you need to un-tick the "Prompt User"

check box underneath the "Execute JavaScript" command. And in order to save

the files you now need to add an explicit Save command at the end of your

Action.

Selecting the input files is more or less the same (although now you can't

tell it not to process non-PDF files)...

• 2. Re: About creating an action in Acrobat XI
            ShinyDawn999 Level 1

yes, i unchecked that box, but still.. when i run the action, it opens 1 or 2 of the files i select( i cant imagine why it would open 1 and not all, seems totally unlogical) and i dont want that to happen cos then i have to close them myself. i added a save instruction from the save&export panel of the wizard on the left of the screen, but to the same result. perhaps a close instruction should be added right after the save, but i dont know exactly how..

• 3. Re: About creating an action in Acrobat XI

That's odd... So you have multiple files selected and it stops after only a

couple were processed? Are there any error messages?

And no, you should not include a command to close the file (with JS, for

example). That will get the Action stuck, for sure.

• 4. Re: About creating an action in Acrobat XI
                ShinyDawn999 Level 1

so here's how it is. each file is first opened to apply the change and if it has an even page count it is closed automatically because nothing was modified, but if it has an odd page count i am being prompted to save it before closing, for every file in this situation. in my case, with the test files i created, the last one has odd page count and for this last one i dont get that prompt, it just remains opened in acrobat and only when i close it myself i asks for save. all this is very annoying, in acro 7 no files were opened, like i said, it ran smoothly and by itsself. can i get it to not open any of the files and still apply the changes i need?

edit: all the files are processed, only in this manner that i really dont like.

• 5. Re: About creating an action in Acrobat XI

I see what you mean. First of all, as I said, you should not include a command to close the file if has an even page number. That happens by itself at the end of all the commands in an Action. So if you have a call to closeDoc() or something like that, remove it.

The other two issues are not solvable, I'm afraid. Earlier versions of Acrobat would indeed process the files in a batch sequence without opening them visually, but would load them in the background, process them and then close them. This is unfortunately not the case with XI (I think it was the same in X as well), which is very annoying because displaying a file takes a lot of memory and time, and is totally unnecessary for what should be an automated process. No wonder Acrobat XI tends to choke and get stuck in the middle of an Action if you try to process too many files, or using a complex script...

In addition, there's a bug in Acrobat XI's Action Wizard which leaves the last file open when the Action is done.

I've reported these issues (as well as other problems with the Action Wizard) when Acrobat XI first came out, but they haven't been solved since.

• 6. Re: About creating an action in Acrobat XI
                    ShinyDawn999 Level 1

if (this.numPages%2!=0)

{

this.newPage()

};

this is the code, i didnt add a close command. but here's what i accomplished just now: i clicked to edit the action containing the code above and after the execute javascript step(which, again, contains this code) i added a save step by selecting it from the save&export category of the "choose tools to add" menu on the left. this got rid of all the save prompts, but still the files seem to open and close very quickly on screen. also the last file is left open and i have to close it, but without being asked to save it. i guess its as good as it gets.

thanks a lot for your time, its very good to at least know for sure there are things i cant help.

• 7. Re: About creating an action in Acrobat XI

Yes, the Save step is necessary now (it used to be a part of the built-in

Action options) if you want to save your file, unless you do that in your

code.

• 8. Re: About creating an action in Acrobat XI
                        ShinyDawn999 Level 1

one more question i would like to ask. what does "this action appears to have been created with acrobat X or earlier. you will be able to run the action, but it will not take full advantage of the new action wizard features in acrobat XI" really mean?

• 9. Re: About creating an action in Acrobat XI

Exactly what it says... Adobe changed the internal structure of the action

files dramatically between X and XI. Actions created in X or earlier can be

imported into XI, but they can't be edited in any way, only used as they

are.

• 10. Re: About creating an action in Acrobat XI
                            ShinyDawn999 Level 1

i mean.. will an imported action be slower or less effective in any way than an action(doing the same thing) created fresh with acro XI?

• 11. Re: About creating an action in Acrobat XI

No, that shouldn't be the case.

• 12. Re: About creating an action in Acrobat XI
                                ShinyDawn999 Level 1

great! my quest is done and the answer was right under my nose:)