3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2014 3:05 PM by JasonDD210

CMYK and RGB Question

NeverWasBefore

Hello,

Im fairly new to ID and have been reading a lot of materials on all kinds of subjects that have to do with graphic design and the like.  From what I understand is that RGB is for web design and CMYK is for priting, plain and simple.  But I was looking to purcase a graphic element and this person has them in RGB format and that concerned me. This was her response when I questined her RGB elements...."If you import the the clip art into your CMYK document, your software will automatically convert the colors to CMYK . . .so it that way it won't cause any problems at all. 

What converting the colors will do is possibly dull them, as CMYK has a narrower color range than RGB. 

You're actually the first person that's asked me about that, good call. Most digital designers selling on Etsy use RGB as it works  better with home/business print shop printing -- but I realized it could be an issue for a professional designer and thought it wise to include the RGB info."

So my questions are...

If I want to print my ID creations at home then I should use RGB?

If I print from a local printer or allow my client to print using their local printer, I should provide a .pdf output in CMYK?

What is the best type of printer to use for home printing in RGB (inkjet or laser)?

When I present my work online for others to see, should I be presenting it in RGB or does that matter?  I dont want show it

in vivid color, only for the client to have my work printed and it looks nothing like the online presentation.

It was just my understanding that RGB is for web/intenet only and was not to be used for printing as it has to do w/light, not ink.  So I am really confused.  And now I wonder if others are presenting their work online in RGB so the colors and things will show up better being presented online.  But then when a client buys, they provde a CMYK file.  I almost feel its like a bait and switch kind of thing.  lol

Tina

• 1. Re: CMYK and RGB Question
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It was just my understanding that RGB is for web/intenet only and was not to be used for printing as it has to do w/light, not ink.

Adobe apps let you make color conversions anywhere in the workflow. So there isn't a problem with editing images and color in an RGB color space and letting the conversion to CMYK happen at output.

• 2. Re: CMYK and RGB Question
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

For multipurpose cross publishing it is the best to use RGB images and place them in InDesign. So you can export them to RGB or CMYK output with high flexibility.

• 3. Re: CMYK and RGB Question
              JasonDD210 Level 1

If I want to print my ID creations at home then I should use RGB?

Yes - Just had the same issue myself. You can use sRGB through the entire workflow.

If I print from a local printer or allow my client to print using their local printer, I should provide a .pdf output in CMYK?

I wouldn't convert anything to CMYK if it's printed out locally.

What is the best type of printer to use for home printing in RGB (inkjet or laser)?
              Depends how much money you want to spend. Inkjets are cheap and do a good job of accepting RGB data.

When I present my work online for others to see, should I be presenting it in RGB or does that matter?  I dont want show it

in vivid color, only for the client to have my work printed and it looks nothing like the online presentation.
              RGB, using sRGB colourspace embedded profile.