13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2014 7:11 AM by A.T. Romano RSS

Importing VOB Files

Secretlake Community Member

Where can I get a codec to import VOB files into Premier Elements 3.0 ?

• 1. Re: Importing VOB Files
          A.T. Romano Community Member

Secretlake

Do you have the Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Update installed and are running from it? What is your computer operating system?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer?

Are you getting error message regarding MPEG2 activation when you go to burn to DVD?

Where are these VOB files now...VTS_01_1.VOB...files saved to the computer hard drive or still on a DVD disc in the DVD-VIDEO's VIDEO_TS Folder structure?

We will be guided by your answers to the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Importing VOB Files
            John T Smith MVP

Ripping a VOB to edit using a note from Jim Simon - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322647

• 3. Re: Importing VOB Files

Secretlake

Your answers will determine your options are for your project.

If you already have the video files from a DVD-VIDEO, that is, the VTS_01_1.VOB and others in series, then there is no ripping involved. You have the VOBs already ripped.

If the VOBs are still in the DVD-VIDEO's VIDEO_TS Folder structure, then ripping of the video files VTS_01_1.VOB would be in order.

Then the question becomes does Premiere Elements 3.0.2 offer a Get Media option for DVD Camera or Computer Drive. If so, we use that for ripping the

the video file VOB(s) from the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. If Premiere Elements 3.0.2, does not have that feature, then we should consider using the Windows computer Command Prompt for the task.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe-dvd-videoseamless-vob-ripping.html

But, in your case, lots of information is needed to customize an answer to your particular situation.

I am wondering if your issue is more basic in that you are getting MPEG2 activation error messages which are creating problems for you in Premiere Elements 3.0.2 for MPEGs and burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Importing VOB Files
                Secretlake Community Member

Thanks for the support

The VOB files are already sitting on my windows 8 PC hard drive, but in order to open them Premier asks this question:

"You must activate this component in order to use this feature"

It references MPEG2 Component, and provides a website link and a Serial; Number to Copy.

When I copy the serial number, and go to the website -  I get this message:

We are sorry, MPEG-2 activation for Adobe Premiere Elements 8 or earlier is no longer available.

Owners of older versions are eligible for upgrade pricing.

Does that mean Adobe no longer supports the product I purchased ?

• 5. Re: Importing VOB Files
                  John T Smith MVP

Yes... that is what I read... Adobe not providing component activation seems to ME to mean Adobe no longer supports version 8

The link I provided in reply #2 shows you how to RIP audio/video from your VOB

• 6. Re: Importing VOB Files

Secretlake

That is what I was afraid of

The VOB files are already sitting on my windows 8 PC hard drive, but in order to open them Premier asks this question:

"You must activate this component in order to use this feature"

It references MPEG2 Component, and provides a website link and a Serial; Number to Copy.

When I copy the serial number, and go to the website -  I get this message:

We are sorry, MPEG-2 activation for Adobe Premiere Elements 8 or earlier is no longer available.

Owners of older versions are eligible for upgrade pricing.

There have been several reports from Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 users about this same issue. No resolution and no comfirmation from Adobe unless we take it as its words in the notice that you cited and which exists.

From the message, it would appear that Adobe has pulled the plug on Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2. But here is the curious part, I have Premiere Elements 2 on Windows 7 64 bit and am not having any problems with MPEG2 and/or its export as DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

I do not have version 3.0/3.0.2.

If you construct a Timeline with jpeg photos, will the program still allow for the burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?

ATR

• 7. Re: Importing VOB Files
                      John T Smith MVP

Another thought... if the MPEG component will not activate, will this program even be ABLE to go to DVD?

• 8. Re: Importing VOB Files

Secretlake

For those following this thread, just a note to them that you are trying to work with MPEG2 in Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2, not Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1.

Although the Adobe explanation for your MPEG 2 Activation failure points to Adobe's stopping MPEG2 Activation support for versions 8 and earlier, it is important to keep in mind your particular version. I have not seen this problem reported so far except for Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2.

We can convert your video files with the VOB file extension to perhaps DV AVI with MPEG Streamclip if all other routes to success are blocked. But

I would suggest a typing problem in the message that another has posted

The link I provided in reply #2 shows you how to RIP audio/video from your VOB

You can rip video files with VOB files extensions from the DVD-VIDEO format (VIDEO_TS Folder) on a DVD disc. But cannot rip a VOB file from another VOB file in the VIDEO_TS Folder. But none of that seems to address your issue since you say that you already have the video files with VOB file extensions saved to your computer hard drive.

ATR

ATR

• 9. Re: Importing VOB Files

John

Another case of posts out of sync in cyberspace?

I have already raised that thought in the question that I post in post number 6

If you construct a Timeline with jpeg photos, will the program still allow for the burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?

Also, John, please take a look at my post to SecretLake in post numbered 8 where I pointed to a possible typing error by you when you wrote about ....ripping from your VOB."

This MPEG2 situation is unexpected and confusing in view of the lack of a further explanation from Adobe in one of its kb documents and leaving it to selected users to find themselves locked out of programs that they depended on.

More later.

ATR

• 10. Re: Importing VOB Files
                            John T Smith MVP

My understanding of RIPPING is converting from one file type to another

You seem to be talking about COPYING a VOB file from a DVD to a hard drive

So RIPPING "from" a VOB is the process of reading that VOB file and saving out to a different kind of file

I do not do that, since I do not use VOB as source files, but the link I posted in reply #2 had information from Jim Simon about using his preferred program to read a VOB and save a file in a different format/codec

• 11. Re: Importing VOB Files

John

Sorry John, but in my Premiere Elements circles ripping (or extraction) of video files VTS_01_1.VOB and series from DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc is what has been referred to in the Premiere Elements 12 feature Add Media/DVD Camera and Computer Drive/Video Importer and comparable feature in earlier versions. And, there is no converting from one file type to another in that process.

I do not believe it is necessary to convert the video file VTS_01_1.VOB to anything else once it arrives on the Premiere Elements Timeline in the same state that it was in before the ripping (extraction). I have not explored the preferred methods of others. I have been using what works for me and many others. The only time I deviate from the Premiere Elements ripping feature is when I and others run into rare audio out of sync issues. Then I use the Command Prompt method for ripping the video files (VTS_01_1.VOB) from the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc so that they present as one file characterized by the seamless merging of all the individual video files (VTS_01_1.VOB and series).

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe-dvd-videoseamless-vob-ripping.html

As an aside, you can see reference to ripping video files from DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc (as I have interpreted the word rip) in Premiere Elements at least as earlier as version 2 and the writing of Engels and Grisetti.

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify.

ATR

• 12. Re: Importing VOB Files
                                Yoda1989 Community Member

As far as I know, if you use the DVD/Hard Drive project preset, AE can support VOB files. If it does not work for you, then you can change the suffix .vob into .mpg to have a try.As to my own experience, I need to encode the original VOB video into AE supported video formats so that AE can afford. Anyway, you can have a try.

• 13. Re: Importing VOB Files

Yoda1989

Did you notice that you were posting in an older thread?

Do you use any version of Premiere Elements? And, if so, what computer system is it running on?

The "DVD camera or computer drive" choice is not a Premiere Elements project preset. It is a choice for Add Media.

And, in Premiere Elements, it is for all intents and purposes an effective and excellent choice for copying/ripping DVD video files from the DVD disc. This is done by inserting the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc into the burner tray, making this Add Media choice, and using the Video Importer to get these video files into a project and or save them to the computer hard drive.

You can do this easily in Premiere Elements without invoking a conversion fix prior to the import of these video files. If you cannot, the matter goes to more than a need for a conversion because of any Premiere Elements non support for MPEG2.vob. If an audio out of sync issue, often a command prompt method to get the "DVD.vob" takes care of that to merge seamlessly the individual VTS_01_1.VOB and series video files. And, for those with version 8 and earlier who have gotten the MPEG2 Activation message during DVD burn to and have gotten an "Adobe does not support for the MPEG2 Activation any more", many of these users have seemed to overcome that with a program uninstall/free ccleaner run through/reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

If you do have Premiere Elements and are having problems in this regard, I would be glad for the opportunity to work with you to define the nature of your  Premiere Elements problem.

ATR