3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2014 11:34 AM by ssprengel

8.4RC mentions support for Fuji lens profiles - any details known?

DFBurns Level 1

Curious if this is new support or if it's always been there and now ACR shows a message about it. I installed the ACR 8.4RC and loaded a RAW file from my X-T1. Looking at the Lens Corrections tab and the Profile sub-tab, there's now a message at the bottom that says "Built-in lens profile applied: XF14mmF2.2 R. Click for more info." When I clicked, a small dialog box appeared which  offered a little more info:

----

Fujifilm X-T1

XF14mmF2.8R

This raw file contains a built-in lens profile for correcting chromatic aberration and vignetting. The profile has already been applied automatically to this image.

----

I experimented and got this for RAWs shot with my X-E2 as well and also my 18-55 and 55-200 lenses. I then went back to ACR 8.3 and confirmed that the messages are not there.

I notice that despite what they say, going to the Color sub-tab and checking Remove Chromatic Aberration was still required for some images.

I didn't see this aspect of the update listed in any release notes. Does anyone know any details about this? Is there a way to turn it off if so desired? I'm curious if the Fuji profile is as good as one that could be created with the Lens Profile Creator. The message doesn't mention geometric correction which would be nice.

• 1. Re: 8.4RC mentions support for Fuji lens profiles - any details known?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The information about what built-in lens profile is being applied is new to ACR 8.4, but the application of built-in lens profiles is not new. 

Whether those lens profiles do a perfect job is another matter, of course.  And just like in previous versions, you cannot turn the built-in profiles off, but if someone creates an external profile those can also be applied. 

The one thing to be careful of is if the built-in lens profile also corrects the same aspect as the external profile, for example, vignetting, then it’ll get double-corrected and the way to avoid this is to set the manual strength setting of that profile correction parameter, either vignetting or distortion, to its minimum value, effectively turning off the external profile’s contribution.

• 2. Re: 8.4RC mentions support for Fuji lens profiles - any details known?
            DFBurns Level 1

Ah, excellent info. Thanks. I just noticed another bit: for the 18-55 and 55-200mm lenses, the info box is slightly different and mentions "correcting distortion, chromatic aberration, and vignetting." I'll have to see what the 35mm says.

• 3. Re: 8.4RC mentions support for Fuji lens profiles - any details known?
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are corrections for geometric-distortion, vignetting and chromatic aberration that can be housed in a lens profile.  If some of those are removed then the profile only corrects for the others.

Recently, I think Adobe has tried to make their built-in corrections match whatever the camera is doing to the JPGs, perhaps using exactly the same formulas and parameters, even, if the manufacturer has cooperated in the process.

The lens without distortion correction is a fixed-focal-length lens, right?  If so that lens can be optimized for minimal geometric distortion.

The zoom lenses are less able to be optimized so it would make sense that geometric distortion is corrected for them.