16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2014 9:41 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I import AVI files?

broccoli321 Level 1

I just installed Premier Elements 12 and tried to import an AVI file, but it is not supported or needs a codec installed. From other answers on the forum I see I need to provide the following information:

Windows 7

Two differnent cameras -

Canon PowerShot A590 IS, purchased in late 2008

Canon PowerShot A 1200, purchased 2010? Not sure exactly.

I do not know the compression type or how to find out, or what other settings I need to know. I did not change many of the defaults.

If I have to apply a fix to my video clips one by one, I have to get my money back for Premier Elements, because I have thousands of clips. If there is a batch fix, please let me know.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: How do I import AVI files?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>do not know the compression type or how to find out

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 2. Re: How do I import AVI files?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

broccoli321

I suspect that you have MotionJPEG.avi files which can be problematic for Premiere Elements (any version).

If this is the case, your options include

a. Look to the camera bundle for a utility that you can install and which will provide the version of the MotionJPEG codec that you

need.

b. Download and install the Morgan MotionJPEG codec

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video/codecs/morgan_m-jpeg_codec.cfm

c. Convert the MotionJPEG.avi to another format that Premiere Elements is OK with. You can use MPEG Streamclip for the conversion. And

that program does have a "batch export" feature.

http://www.squared5.com/

If you are thinking money back from Adobe if your purchased from Adobe, please do so within the 30 days of purchase since Adobe is very

strick with regard to within 30 days.

I will be back in a moment. I will confirm your MotionJPEG video compression by looking up your camera's properties online.

ATR

• 3. Re: How do I import AVI files?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

broccoli321

Online says that the Canon A1200 is not giving you an .avi file. To the contrary, it say .mov file. It should be giving you a file with AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video compression with a .mov file extension.

a. If you really do have AVCHD.avi, that is not compatible with Premiere Elements (any version).

b. If you do have AVCHD.mov, that should be compatible with Premiere Elements 12 if you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12.

So, more details on this one please. Please look at the details under the Specifications Tab of the bhphotovideo link

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750177-REG/Canon_Powershot_A1200_Digital_Camera.html

II have just confirmed that the Canon A590 IS is giving you MotionJPEG.avi files.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras/powershot_a_series/powersho t_a590_is#Specifications

So, if you are not able to use your MotionJPEG.avi files in Premiere Elements, then please refer to possible solutions cited in my earlier

post in your thread.

Right now we just need to agree on the properties of your video coming from the Canon A1200.

It is possible you may have two different issues involved here.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I import AVI files?
                broccoli321 Level 1

Thank you. You are correct about the Canon A1200 - my apologies. I believe you are correct that these should work fine.

As for the A590 - you gave three options. I am looking into the first to see if I can get a codec from Canon. If I can't, which of the other two options would be a better choice? Do you mind briefly describing the pros/cons of each? I assume I should make sure all of my files are backed up first, in either case.

Also, to be clear, I need to be able to EDIT the clips, not just play them back.

Finally, will all of these options preserve the quality of my clips? Since they have started out relatively low quality, I don't want to lose anything.

Thank you very much - this has been helpful.

• 5. Re: How do I import AVI files?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

broccoli321

If you do not have a utility bundled in with the Canon A590, then I would probably go with the MotionJPEG codec. Now that is not free, not sure how much it will cost. I suspect that the cost might be around 30 US dollars. Another consideration these days is finding a suitable download site for any of these downloads. It is not uncommon to be invaded by multi carryons which mess up the browsers among other things. The following looks like a web site to explore for the tryout of the Morgan MotionJPEG codec. See if it works for you and then decide if it is worth the investment.  But, go tryout first.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video/codecs/morgan_m-jpeg_codec.cfm

Once installed you would not have to spend time doing conversions of the MotionJPEG.avi to something else.

The MPEG Streamclip has always been one of my preferred free programs for conversion. I have dealt with it mainly for conversion to DV AVI, but it has wider applicability than that. It offers batch exports. Two ways to use the program:

a. Free. Download and Install MPEG Streamclip + the QuickTime Alternative 1.81 (contains free the required MPEG2 playback component). The catch here is that you need to remove your regular QuickTime in order to install and use QuickTime Alternative 1.81. But, this QuickTime Alternative 1.81 works as a replacement for the Premiere Elements requirement for latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements.

b. Not Free - 20 US dollar cost. Leave your regular QuickTime (latest version) installed, download and install the free MPEG Streamclip, and then buy the MPEG2 playback component from Apple.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-win.html

I think that I would factor into all this your estimate of how much of your photos and videos will come from the Canon A590 moving forward.

Please review and then let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I import AVI files?
                    broccoli321 Level 1

Thank you for this. I verified that Canon does not produce a codec for the camera videos. I used the AfterDawn link to download the Morgan MotionJPEG codec. Ran the .exe, restarted my computer, and tried importing the videos into Premier Elements with the same error message described in my original post. Here are the settings that the codec shows as defaults. (I did not change any).

Am I missing a step?

MorganMotionJPEG_quick-config_screenshot_.jpg

• 7. Re: How do I import AVI files?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I verified that Canon does not produce a codec for the camera videos.

Did you run one of those Canon AVI files through MediaInfo?

All of my Canon stills cameras, that shoot Video do so with the MJPEG CODEC.

I just installed the Canon Software, ZoomBrowser, etc., and got the Canon version of the MJPEG installed at the same time. All Import just fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How do I import AVI files?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

broccoli321

In reply to Hunt's

Did you run one of those Canon AVI files through MediaInfo?

All of my Canon stills cameras, that shoot Video do so with the MJPEG CODEC.

We are talking specifically about video recorded with the Canon A590 IS which Canon says uses MotionJPEG as the video codec as per an earlier post in your thread.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras/powersh ot_a_series/powershot_a590_is#Specifications

I have not downloaded and installed the Morgan MotionJPEG codec in a few years, but, when I did, it was just a download and install. I did not have to make any configuration settings changes.

We could remove all traces of the Morgan MotionJPEG codec from your computer and then download and reinstall again. Or, perhaps download and install from another web site, such as, http://morgan-multimedia-mjpeg-codec.en.lo4d.com/

Interesting note at the bottom of the latter that the program has not been popular lately. I have never seen it to fail if the issue involved MotionJPEG codec and Premiere Elements.

Alternative would be file conversion which I was trying to avoid as an extra step in your workflow.

Would it be possible for you to post a sample of the problem video in a DropBox link that you post in your reply here?

Please review and consider. We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: How do I import AVI files?
                          broccoli321 Level 1

Here is a short clip (.AVI) taken with the Canon Powershot A590 IS:

http://www.dropbox.com/sh/f4whdzidg9yy96g/tOs_IPFZjW?lst

• 10. Re: How do I import AVI files?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

broccoli321

Thanks for the sample.

There is no doubt that the video uses MotionJPEG video codec and an .avi file extension. The audio is PCM Mono.

Interestingly, it is a 640 x 480 4:3 file at 20 progressive frames per second. All of this is consistent with the specifications of the Canon A590 IS that recorded the video.

The properties of the sample were verified with MediaInfo and gspot.

I had no problems importing the file into Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit. The gspot utility told me that the Video Codec MotionJPEG was installed on my computer.

I set the project preset manually using

NTSC

FLIP

Flip Mino and Ultra 29_97p

To do that, I opened Premiere Elements 12 to the Expert workspace, went to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

Change the setting to the FLIP project preset above.

Before leaving that area, at the final dialog, put a check mark next to "Force Selected Setting on this Project".

Then back in the Expert workspace, used Add Media/Files and Folder/ to bring the file into Project Assets and from there to the Timeline.

Looked good.

So, let us do this...

a. With your Morgan MotionJPEG installed and using the project preset manually set as cited above, try to import your MotionJPEG.avi into your Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit.

Then please let us know the outcome.

At this point, we could try for an install of the Morgan MotionJPEG codec (if you have not done that already) or use a different web site for the download or go for a batch conversion from MotionJPEG.avi 4:3 to DV AVI 4:3 (or an alternative to be discussed). I would use MPEG Streamclip for the batch conversions.

Thanks for the follow ups with very helpful information.

ATR

Not sure if we need to look at firewalls with regard to Morgan MotionJPEG codec download and install. Still thinking about that.

• 11. Re: How do I import AVI files?
                              broccoli321 Level 1

Thank you. I tried, with high hopes, switching the project settings exactly as you described. I still got the same error message when bringing the file in. I will use the program you mentioned to check that the codec is installed, and if it is, I'll uninstall and reinstall the morgan motionjpeg codec. In the meantime, I thought I'd let you know that I am using Kaspersky internet security. I'm not sure what settings I might need to adjust, if that program is the problem.

I'll report back on the uninstall-reinstall tonight.

• 12. Re: How do I import AVI files?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

broccoli321

Thanks for the follow ups.

For disabling the Kasperksy Internet Security temporarily, I read that this might work.

a. In the Taskbar at the bottom of the computer desktop view, if you do not see a Kasperksy icon, left click the "Show Hidden Icons" triangle or whatever is in the Taskbar to represent it. Then look for Kasperksy and a choice for Pause Projection.

b. When you click on Pause Projection, you can define for how long.

Please give that a try. I do not have Kasperksy, so I am going on what I read.

We will be watching for your further results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: How do I import AVI files?
                                  broccoli321 Level 1

I am hesitant to disable Kaspersky while downloading the codec - I'm not sure if that's the time you were recommeding I do it, or at another time.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the morgan motion jpeg codec. The gspot utility appears to show that I have the morgan motion jpeg codec installed. See attached image.

I will consider the second option - installing the MPEG streamclip. But I am running on Windows 7 so not sure what QuickTime has to do with it (in your previous post with instructions). I have checked and I don't believe there is any version of QuickTime installed on my computer. Perhaps this means I can proceed with the free option you described? Although I do have iTunes installed, I don't see QuickTime in my program files and it is not an option under add/remove programs. If I do use the mpeg streamclip, can I export my files without a loss of quality?

gspot_results.jpg

• 14. Re: How do I import AVI files?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

broccoli321

Installation of QuickTime (latest version) on your computer with Premiere Elements (any version) is a requirement. The obvious conseqence of not doing that is the absence of QuickTime presets for QuickTime exports and other problems. We need to rule out "other problems" since you do not have QuickTime installed at all.

"Do you have QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements?" is typically the first drill question in the troubleshooting. But, I think what seemed like the usual MotionJPEG problem may have caused us to take too much for granted.

We can go a few ways at this point...but this may take care of a few directions at one time...

Download and install MPEG Streamclip and QuickTime Alternative 1.81 from the same site mentioned. That will let you do the MotionJPEG conversions, and that version of QuickTime will cover you for the Premiere Elements to work. Then try out the MotionJPEG conversion, but also try to import your original MotionJPEG.avi into Premiere Elements which now has the QuickTime Alternative 1.81 support.

If the problem in the first place was the lack of QuickTime support for Premiere Elements, then you will know that you have two choices...

Conversion

or

Using Premiere Elements with QuickTime support (either Alternative 1.81 or the regular latest version).

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: How do I import AVI files?
                                      broccoli321 Level 1

I have installed the quicktime alternative 1.81, but I did not yet install the Streamclip. Now my movies are able to be added. Hooray!! Thank you for sticking with all of this. Did I miss an obvious message from Adobe during my Premier Elements install that I needed quicktime? If it was not obvious, they should make it more clear. Either way, I'm not one to read the fine print so perhaps I just missed it.

Thanks. Hopefully we are done here.

• 16. Re: How do I import AVI files?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

broccoli321

Great news. Great job. You can stay with the QuickTIme Alternative 1.81 in case you do look at MPEG Streamclip for conversion (batch or otherwise) or switch over to the conventional means of using free QuickTime latest version from Apple.

We thank you for working through the troubleshoot and are very pleased with the outcome.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance - glad for the opportunity.

Best wishes

ATR