15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2014 1:00 PM by A.T. Romano

creating a DVD

foxdown88 Level 1

Afraid I have not used PE V 11 for several months and I seem to have forgotten out to write to a DVD.

I try to follow the instructions in Steve Grisettis Movopix book in Chapter 32.

I go to Create and Share; choose Computer; then AVI; then save.

The result is that a 45 minute film takes 9.68 Gbytes which is too large to write to a DVD.

I use IMG Burn.

What am I doing wrong?

Mike

• 1. Re: creating a DVD
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You want to share to a DVD, not to an AVI file

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has a link about Sharing to a DVD

• 2. Re: creating a DVD
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

What is going into this DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc....photos and videos or just one of the other? And, what are the properties of these photos and or videos.

a. From the source media properties we establish the project preset (project settings, either you manually or the program automatically)

b. Import your media into the project, do your editing. Do placement of your menu markers if you are planning a a disc menu that viewer can navigate with Remote at TV DVD player playback

c. Tools/Movie Menus...customize menus.

d. Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with Presets = NTSC or PAL Dolby DVD or NTSC or PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD depending on your NTSC or PAL setup and the format of your project settings.

With DVD disc in burner tray, before you hit the Burn button of the burn dialog, what are Space Required and Bitrate values shown (with check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"..

That is the basic outline of what needs to be done. There are all sorts of details that are needed to make sure that the project starts and ends successfully.

If we start with the what is going into this project, I will suggest how to get the best possible for your Premiere Elements project.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I prefer the burn to disc rather than burn to folder, followed by ImgBurn to take the VIDEO_TS to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. I reserve the later for when I have a burner recognition problem or the burn dialog pops up a Media Not Present message.

• 3. Re: creating a DVD
              foxdown88 Level 1

Thanks

When I go to your para 4 and select DVD I get ' no burners detected'. In the past I have therefore used IMG Burn successfully. If Instead of select DVD I select AVCHD to an 8.7 mb folder  I get 6.09 GB and bitrate 15.74 mbps which is too big for a DVD.

Mike

• 4. Re: creating a DVD
                foxdown88 Level 1

Sorry, it is just video

Mike

• 5. Re: creating a DVD
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Thanks for the additional comments.

When you get the 6.09 GB and Bitrate of 15.74 mbps, do you have a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space" in the burn dialog?

Be that as it may, I did not understand your rationale behind

I get 6.09 GB and bitrate 15.74 mbps which is too big for a DVD

No way. Let me explain.

You say you "select AVCHD to an 8.7 mb folder"

If you are doing an AVCHD burn to folder, it sounds like you are set up for Folder (8.5 GB), and no way you are dealing with 8.7 mb folder.

That set would direct you to a DVD double layer single sided disc with spec 8.5 GB/240 minutes. In reality, that 8.5 GB is really 7.95 GB.

So , if your burn dialog readout for your Timeline is Space Required 6.09 GB with the 15.74 Mbps bitrate (which is the best possible bitrate - max set), your burn to is far from too big for taking that BDMV Folder from the Premiere Elements burn to folder and putting that on a DVD double layer single sided disc in ImgBurn.

Is the situation still that AVCHD burn to DVD disc does not recognize your burner?

Also, do you have a player that will playback AVCHD on DVD (double layer singled sided) disc? Is that your limiting factor not how much you can and cannot put on the DVD disc?

Please review and consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: creating a DVD
                    foxdown88 Level 1

Thanks for your help.

Yes there is a box asking whether I want to fit content to available space. I have not ticked it as I did not want to lose anything

the rationale is that the DVDs I have been using only have 4.7 gb capacity. So anything bigger will not fit. However the DVDs say they have capacity for 120 minutes at SP

The ACCHD burn to disc says ' no burner detected'

I don't know about the player. It is a blue ray

Sorry it is a 8.5 gb folder.

I am annoyed with myself because 8 months ago I created several DVds with IMG burn. Several were longer than 45 minutes on the same 4.7 gb DVDs and shot with the same camcorder.  I have just started again after a break and  I cannot remember what I did then that is different to what am doing now.

Is AVCHD the correct choice?

Mike

• 7. Re: creating a DVD
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has a link very near the bottom of the page that discusses using a DVD for a "limited" amount of AVCHD video to then play on a BluRay player

• 8. Re: creating a DVD
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

foxdown88

When you produced your DVDs with ImgBurn 8 months ago, what did you produce

DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc

or

AVCHD format on DVD disc

If you do not remember, then put the DVD disc in the burner tray, go to Computer, and explore the disc.

a. If you see VIDEO_TS Folder and maybe AUDIO_TS Folder and or Open DVD Folder, then you have the

DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc (the 720 x 480 sized product)...this one will play in the DVD Player

b. If you see BDMV with or without a CERTIFICATE Folder, then you have an AVCHD format on DVD disc

(the 1920 x 1080 sized product) ...this one will not play in the DVD Player

Let us go a step further to determine what you produced then...

With your disc in the DVD burner tray, right click the drive in Computer, and select Read in ImgBurn.

When ImgBurn opens, we should be able to read Size as well as the disc file system that was used to produce the disc.

Let us see if we can put the history together and then have history repeat itself.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: creating a DVD
                          foxdown88 Level 1

Thanks

I see Open DVD and Video TS.

Size is 2.1 gb and file system is ISO 9660, UDF(1.02)

OK?

Mike

• 10. Re: creating a DVD
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Thanks.

If that is what you produced several months ago and it was the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, stay with it.

What is the play time for that DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc? I am assuming that this is the DVD disc type

4.7 GB/120 minutes. A disc of this type has in reality, 4.38 GB.

If you want to stick with the burn to folder/ImgBurn workflow, please consider (in order to reproduce the past)

a. Project with a Timeline content that gives in the Premiere Elements burn dialog Quality area, Space Required about 2 GB and

shows a Bitrate of 8.00 Mbps (megabits per second). When you do that, what is the duration of your Timeline

content? Make sure those readings are for when there is a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space",

The burn to field should = Folder (4.7 GB). The export preset should be in accord with the project settings, either for standard

or widescreen.

If you obtained good results for the DVD-VIDEO (720 x 480) on DVD disc 8 months ago and you want to repeat that work, then

put thoughts of AVCHD on DVD (1920 x 1080) aside, for now another time, another interest.

If your projects have markedly increased in size in the past 8 months, then we have more to talk about, but using the same

principles..

ATR

• 11. Re: creating a DVD
                              foxdown88 Level 1

Thanks

But can you clarify what options I should choose after I have pressed Publish and Share.

Will speak tomorrow as I am off to bed now

Mike

Sent from my iPad

• 12. Re: creating a DVD
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

If you have a standard widescreen project, then

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

and then in the burn dialog for Burn To: Folder (4.7 GB)

The burn dialog would look like

STANDARD WIDESCREEN

The total Timeline content duration for this was 43 minutes.

DVDIT.JPG

If you have a standard project, then

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

and then in the burn dialog for Burn to: Folder (4.7 GB)

The burn dialog would be the same as above, except the Presets = NTSC_Dolby DVD.

Please let me know if any questions.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: creating a DVD
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Make sure you view the latest post 12 as posted in the Premiere Elements Forum since I have been editing it. If you are reading these posts as email notifications instead of at the forum, I am not sure what version you might be viewing first.

Thanks.

ATr

• 14. Re: creating a DVD
                                    foxdown88 Level 1

Many thanks

It worked like a dream. The 45 minute video took only 1 gb and worked fine on my DVD player.

Mike

• 15. Re: creating a DVD
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Wonderful news. Congratulations on your success. You did a great job.

Your follow up is very important and encourages all with the "can do" attitude.

Continued success.

Best wishes

ATR