11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2014 7:30 PM by A.T. Romano RSS

Just not getting render for burning to DVD

ABB654

Using Premiere elemtns 12.  I have video in MP4 that I am burning to DVD.  Does rendering affeect the MP4?  Rendering seems to create a new MP2? file that I am not understanding if the MP2 rendered file is used for burning to disc.  Not worried about burn time want the best looking video.  Thanks

• 1. Re: Just not getting render for burning to DVD
          Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

You can not put an MP4 on a DVD, so the program must output it as a VOB (a form of MPEG2).

Rendering a new file does not have any effect on the original source media files.

• 2. Re: Just not getting render for burning to DVD
            John T Smith CommunityMVP

MP4 is a compressed file... MP2/VOB is another form of a compressed file... squeeze a loaf of bread "half way" to get an MP4... squeeze THAT squeezed loaf again to get an MP2

You MAY see a lower quality on your DVD due to the file being compressed twice

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may also help

-has links to the FAQ/TIPS pages

• 3. Re: Just not getting render for burning to DVD
              A.T. Romano Community Member

ABB654

A video file has video compression and audio compression with a file extension which

represents the format that wraps the compression. Your "MP4" could be referring to the video compression or the

file extension. It makes a difference. And, no matter what its resolution, the export settings will define the export.

Let us assume that the video compression is AVCHD (MP4 AVC/H.264) and that the file extension is .mp4. Let us further

assume that the properties of that file tell us that the frame size is 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second.

If you burn that Timeline to DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc in Premiere Elements, the end product on that disc is going

to be DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc (720 x 480 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second). The video files of the DVD-VIDEO

structure are MPEG2.VOB. Those are the standards of the DVD-VIDEO format, no changing them.

Your alternative is to burn that Timeline to a DVD disc using Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD, then your DVD could have the AVCHD format

on DVD disc (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second). The video files of the AVCHD format are AVCHD.m2ts.

The AVCHD on DVD cannot be played on the run of the mill TV DVD player; whereas the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc can.

That is an overview.

ATR

• 4. Re: Just not getting render for burning to DVD
                Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

Once again, three people giving exactly the same answer! How's that for accuracy?

• 5. Re: Just not getting render for burning to DVD

SG

I would suggest to you that we are not dealing with the "same answer", but rather with different levels of insight into the basic

question asked by ABB654 (Just Not Getting Render For Burning To DVD.)

ATR

• 6. Re: Just not getting render for burning to DVD
                    ABB654 Community Member

O.k. thanks this is helpful.  So if I was to use the rendered mpg 2 file to burn to DVD would I then need to open a new project using that rendered MPG file? 

Rendering seems to creat a new file MPg 2 in folder Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files. 

What's the opinion out there regarding which is better:

1.  Burn DVD from MPG 4 with out rendering

or

2.  Burn DVD from MPG 2 file with rendering (from original MPG 4)

Very interesting and lots to it thanks for the insights!

• 7. Re: Just not getting render for burning to DVD

ABB654

Here my take on this.

If you have a .mp4 file that you want to put on a DVD disc in DVD-VIDEO format, then

a. You import that .mp4 into Premiere Elements with a project preset that agrees with the properties of the .mp4 file

b. You edit the .mp4. If you want the best possible preview of what you are seeing in the Edit area monitor as you edit, then

you render the .mp4 on the Timeline. You are not changing the Timeline.mp4, you are just getting preview files to get the best possible

preview. You do not have to do this type of rendering. But, it is your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later.

c. You move on to disc menus if you want disc menus. If you do, you place Timeline menu markers while you are still in the Edit area.

d. You burn to Disc DVD, if your orginal footage is 16:9, then you use the widescreen preset for the burn to disc. If your footage is 4:3, then you use the standard preset for the bur to disc.

As for your choices of 1 or 2. I would eleminate 2, and go with 1 with or without rendering - depends on your edits and if you guessed right about to do or not to do.

ATR

• 8. Re: Just not getting render for burning to DVD
                        ABB654 Community Member

Greetings,

Thanks for the feed back I think I am getting it in pieces.  So for letter a if my .mp4 file properties are:

Frame width 720

Frame height 480

Data rate 2737 kbps

total bit rate 2930

frame rate 29 frames / second

Capture.PNG

then import that .mp4 into Premiere Elements with a project preset that agrees with the properties of the .mp4 file I would use preset [standard 48 khz - as chosen below?]:

Capture 2.PNG

Do I have that right?  Thanks

• 9. Re: Just not getting render for burning to DVD

ABB654

Looks like it is OK, but to be sure on the fine points....

a. There is nothing in your video properties given that tell me whether the .mp4 is 4:3 or 16:9.

Your screenshot indicates that you are setting the project preset for 4:3 with your choice of

NTSC/Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorder - description showing the Pixel Aspect Ratio = 0.9091.

Do to double check, import the .mp4, right click its thumbnail in Project Assets, select Properties, and

read what the Pixel Aspect Ratio is. If the Pixel Aspect Ration = 0.9091. Good.

b. Now the only other thing that could trip you up is whether or not your video is interlaced and has a

Scan Order (also called Field Order) = Lower Field First (also called Bottom Field First) or Upper Field First

(also called Top Field First).

A video properties readout program such as MediaInfo (Tree View) would give you that information.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

Just watch out for carryalongs with the download - can mess up your browser(s).

If your .mp4 has a Field Order of Top Field First, then you are OK with your project preset

NTSC

Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorder

Standard (or whatever you confirm between Standard and Widescreen)

If your .mp4 has a Field Order of Bottom Field First, then you should use the project preset

NTSC

DV Standard (or DV whatever you confirm between Standard and Widescreen).

(This has a Field Order of Bottom Field First.)

The whole thought is that the DVD-VIDEO format that you are heading for represents interlaced

video with a Field Order of Bottom Field First, and you want the project preset to be in keeping with

that characteristic.

So if you are starting with video with Top Field First, the Hard Drive Flash Memory choice is supposed

to be taking care of this Top to Bottom Field First matter.

ATR

Add On...I stayed with the Top Field First and Bottom Field First (MediaInfo readout designations) throughout the post to be consistent with MediaInfo. But within Premiere Elements, you will be seeing the Upper Field First or Lower Field First counterpart descriptions.

• 10. Re: Just not getting render for burning to DVD
                            ABB654 Community Member

Wow lots to learn this is very cool.  I really like the video properties readout program such as MediaInfo (Tree View) would give you that information.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

That really gives a lot of information!  Thanks very cool!

• 11. Re: Just not getting render for burning to DVD

ABB654

Thanks.

I admire your enthusiasm, and we are looking forward to learning of your progress when you get the chance.

Sounding good.

ATR