12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2014 10:51 AM by A.T. Romano RSS

Original quality export of DV

Bob Metzler Community Member

I'm capturing old analog S-VHS tapes via Canopus converter, no problems.  Editing, titling, no problems.  Making DVD with menus, no problems.  But, after editing original footage, I'd like to save/export the edited projects at full orignal quality.  That capture took 13 GB for one hour; DVD and highest quality Share output I can find is only about 4 GB/hour (70 minutes for a 4.7 GB file or DVD).  Is this really fully as good (for archiving, possible future editing) as the original 13 GB/hour .avi files?

• 1. Re: Original quality export of DV
          John T Smith MVP

For full editing quality in the future... buy a big USB hard drive and make backup copies of your AVI files... if really important and you think the tapes may degrade, buy 2 USB hard drives for backups

• 2. Re: Original quality export of DV
            A.T. Romano Community Member

Bob Metzler

What is your plan to archive

a. only the edited Timeline content (that would have to be exported to a file type to be discussed)

b. archive the whole project file with menus, but not exported (menu creation would be embedded in the project) - see project archiver

c. archive the VIDEO_TS Folder from the burn to folder (that would be a DVD-VIDEO with menus choice)

Do you have a Blu-ray burner so that you might use BD-R or BD-RE disc (25GB or 50 GB)

Depending on your target archive, was there any thought to Export to Tape which has not existed in Premiere Elements for several versions now.

What are you dealing with with regard to project settings - NTSC DV Standard?

ATR

• 3. Re: Original quality export of DV
              nealeh Community Member

Bob Metzler wrote:

Is this really fully as good (for archiving, possible future editing) as the original 13 GB/hour .avi files?

No. The Digital Video captured from your Canopus is the raw data feed, you could consider it the DV equivalent of RAW on a stills camera (although technically they are very different). Once you've put it onto DVD the data is compressed by the MPEG2 encoder. After subsequent editing of this compressed data, if put back onto DVD, it is again compressed. The parallel with still photos here is editing JPEG photos and resaving them as jpegs. Each time you save a little more original data is lost.

So saving the original 13GB/hour (this is typical but does not represent an absolute bit rate) capture is best if you have sufficient storage medium (disk, blu-ray, or (as ATR touches on) Tape (my Canopus ADVC300 can convert Analog direct to DV Tape).

Or you could encode them using a lossless codec - plenty of information in Bill Hunts Tips & ticks article at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/875797.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 4. Re: Original quality export of DV

nealeh

You wrote

(my Canopus ADVC300 can convert Analog direct to DV Tape).

Bob Metzler indicates it is the edited project that is to be archived. How do you manage to get the edited Timeline to tape?

There is no Record to Videotape function for Premiere Elements 11 and 12.

It is my understanding that Adobe document "Premiere Elements Sharing to Videotape" is being corrected by Adobe to exclude versions 11 (and 12) from its target.

But, versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 11 include Share/ options for record to tape

Premiere Elements 10: Share/Tape "Record to DV Tape"

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1. Share/Tape "Record to DV Tape"

Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. Share/Tape "Record to DV or HDV Tape"

Premiere Elements 7. Share/Tape "Record to DV or HDV Tape"

Premiere Elements 4. Share/"Record to DV or HDV Tape"

ATR

Edited 03 25 2014 to confirm that Premiere Elements 11 and 12 do not offer Sharing to Videotape.

• 5. Re: Original quality export of DV
                  the_wine_snob Community Member

Bob,

When I need to output to a file for archive, that I anticipate editing more, at a later time, I use a DI (Digital Intermediate), to maintain ultimate quality, per this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/875797?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Original quality export of DV

John, after reading your and others' replies, it sounds like the most practical thing is just archiving the original .avi files produced by the Canopus.  I was hoping to maintain original quality of the timeline material after my initial edits, but I guess I'll potentially have to do those edits again if I ever re-visit this footage.  Thanks

• 7. Re: Original quality export of DV

A.T., my project settings are NTSC DV Standard.  I was hoping to save the edited Timeline content, but without further compression.  I guess I'll just hang on to the original, unedited .avi files--hard drives are cheap.  Thanks.

• 8. Re: Original quality export of DV

Neale, I guess I'll keep the original .avi files in case of future needs; storage isn't an issue.  Thanks.

• 9. Re: Original quality export of DV

Bill, your article indicates that intermediate files saved via the Lagarith Lossless or UT Lossless codecs will be large.  Can you tell me if they will be larger or smaller than the 13 GB/hour size of the .avi files from my tape-via-Canopus captures?

Thanks

• 10. Re: Original quality export of DV
                            the_wine_snob Community Member

Bob,

The Lossless CODEC files will be a bit larger than those with the DVD-AVI CODEC, which is ~ 5% compression, but much smaller than say AVI Uncompressed. Without testing now, I seem to remember that both Lossless CODEC's are about 1 - 2% larger than DV-AVI files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Original quality export of DV
                              nealeh Community Member

But Bob, because you can access those lossless codecs from a PRE Share you can use them to archive your edited footage. So that 2% increase may only be applicable to say 50% of your original if you had edited out half of the original.

Personally, as you say space is not an issue, I'd keep all of it. You might today only want a half of it, but in five years time you might wish you'd kept more of it.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 12. Re: Original quality export of DV

Bob Metzler

Because of your stated plans for moving forward on your posted question, the following may not now apply. But just to set the record straight....

Premiere Elements 11 and 12 do not off Share to Videotape as do the versions earlier than 11.

Please refer to my edit of post numbered 4 in your thread.

Thanks.

ATR