6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2016 12:00 AM by seljean78

How can I edit Smart Objects that were made in CS6?

Chris Brown Australia

I have just upgraded to CC (from CS6) now smart objects can't be edited because CC can't find the program that originally made the smart object (ie Illustrator CS6). Can anyone shed some light on this problem?  I don't want to have to reinstall CS6 and I don't want both CS6 and CC on my computer at the same time.

• 1. Re: How can I edit Smart Objects that were made in CS6?
          Level 7

Editing an Illustrator file will require some version of Illustrator to be installed.

And you can have CS6 and CC installed at the same time.

• 2. Re: How can I edit Smart Objects that were made in CS6?
            Chris Brown Australia Level 1

Thanks for your prompt reply Chris, but I DO have Illustrator installed.

I should have mentioned above that I have upgraded the entire suite to CC.  I was using CS6 Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign etc and have now upgraded to the CC version of all these programs.  I assumed that I would not need CS6 suite anymore, so I uninstalled the entire suite, leaving me with all Adobe CC programs (including Illustrator).

Now, when I open a Photoshop file that was made in CS6 in the new Photoshop CC that includes a smart object (made in CS6 Illustrator) and want to edit the smart object in Illustrator CC, I get an error message saying "Could not edit original smart object because the application which created the smart object could not be launched".  And I definitely have Illustrator CC installed - and it works perfectly in every other respect.

I appreciate any help you can give with this!

• 3. Re: How can I edit Smart Objects that were made in CS6?
              Level 7

Your OS still associates Illustrator files with CS6 for some reason.

Photoshop just sets the file type and extension, and asks the OS to launch Illustrator.

• 4. Re: How can I edit Smart Objects that were made in CS6?
                arca

I was having the same issue, on Windows 7. Found an illustrator file that I created in a previous version in Windows Explorer - it should be a white box next to it instead of an illustrator icon.

Right click. Choose Open With... then choose Default Program.

Select Adobe Illustrator CC from the Recommended Programs list or Browse for your file.

Press OK.

It should work as it did before!

• 5. Re: How can I edit Smart Objects that were made in CS6?
                  hrasheed

Hi Chris,

I got this problem when I installed Adob master collection Over CS 5.

I had children book story storis which created in Adobe illustrator CS 5 and I created art boards in Adobe photoshop cs 5.

After installting CS 6 i tried to edit the smart objects and it was not opeinging the smart object file in Illustrator.

I did some tests.

1) Right click on smart object layer and click export contents. Save on desktopp or anywhere you want. (I saved on desktop)

2) I had this file on my desktop (Vector Smart Object10.ai) but it didn't show any icon, which program should open this type of file.

3) Double click on the file and it pop up a extension window 'Click on change and select adobe illustrator' and press OK.

4) Go back to your photoshop file and right click on smart object layer and click dit content. now this time it opens up assets in illustrator.

ENJOY!

Enjoy002.jpg001.jpg003.jpg

Thanks

Haroon

www.4d-studios.co.uk

• 6. Re: How can I edit Smart Objects that were made in CS6?
                    seljean78 Level 1

Here is the another solution to 'could not edit original smart object because the application which created the smart object could not be launched' message for windows users - after installation right click on any Illustrator file (.ai or .eps) and make 'Open with Illustrator' AGAIN, it must help