15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2014 12:01 AM by station_two

ACR/PS Handoff

DigitalDickZ

Has anyone ever had issues with the handoff between ACR and Photoshop CS6/CC?  The adjusted file is maintained for future editing but simply does not open in PS.  Closing PS and then reopening the file in ACR usually works but ios obviously time consuming.  I need a better workaround.

• 1. Re: ACR/PS Handoff
          Level 5

Ps cannot open raw files, ever, with or without adjustments.  Only ACR can perform the conversion from a linear raw file to a demosaic'ed, cooked, color image file.

Instead of clicking on "Done" after applying all of your adjustments in ACR, click on "Open Image", the image will then be opened as an unsaved copy (in RAM only) for you to save in the format of your choice with all your adjustments applied.  The original raw file will always remain raw, untouched, with your adjustments saved only in metadata, leaving the actual pixels untouched, and it can only be opened by ACR, not by Photoshop.

• 2. Re: ACR/PS Handoff
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The raw file will always open in Camera Raw. That's just the way it works. After you have opened the image in Photoshop, you can save that image in a different file format. Then you can open the that PSD or TIF or JPEG image directly in Photoshop, completely bypassing Camera Raw. Photoshop cannot work on raw image data. Once the photo is open in Photoshop it is no longer raw image data.

• 3. Re: ACR/PS Handoff
              DigitalDickZ Level 1

Perhaps I have not made myself more clear.

I have opened the raw file in ACR but there are times when I open the file

to be converted into PS that it does not open at all.  That is the problem.

• 4. Re: ACR/PS Handoff
                Level 5

DigitalDickZ wrote:

…when I open the file to be converted into PS that it does not open at all….

That doesn't make anything "more clear" at all.

We are telling you that a raw file that has not been converted MUST be opened in ACR.  Photoshop cannot open raw files.  Period.

• 5. Re: ACR/PS Handoff
                  DigitalDickZ Level 1

And so what I am saying is that, after making my adjustments in ACR, and

then hitting open image that the image may or may not open in PS after the

translation.  The problem is inconsistent.

• 6. Re: ACR/PS Handoff
                    Level 5

Regardless of whether you have applied all your adjustments, the raw file will never, ever open in Photoshop.  I don't know why you fail to understand that basic principle.

• 7. Re: ACR/PS Handoff
                      Level 5

DigitalDickZ wrote:

…the image may or may not open in PS after the translation…

I have no clue what you mean by "translation".

The conversion performed by ACR will never apply to the original raw file, never, ever!  The converted file after you hit Open in the ACR window will open in Photoshop but will be kept in RAM only, until you save it in the format of your choice (PSD, PSB, TIFF, JPEG, PNG, whatever). The raw file remains untouched forever, even after opening the adjusted, converted copy in ROM, and it wil never open in Photoshop.

Any and all adjustments will be kept in metadata only, leaving the raw pixels untouched; and said adjustments will be applied only to the copy in RAM that you open in ACR but does not exist on your hard drive at all until you save it in one of the aforementioned formats.

DigitalDickZ wrote:

And so what I am saying is that, after making my adjustments in ACR, and then hitting open image that the image may or may not open in PS after the translation.  The problem is inconsistent.

That statement is completely bogus as typed. It also conflicts with your original post 100%.

• 8. Re: ACR/PS Handoff
                        Andrew_Hart Level 2

The OP clarified his problem in post #5.

What he is saying is that after making edits in ACR and pressing the Open Image button, sometines the converted image opens in Ps and other times it does not.

What's unclear or bogus about that?

• 9. Re: ACR/PS Handoff
                          Yammer Level 4

DigitalDickZ wrote:

Has anyone ever had issues with the handoff between ACR and Photoshop CS6/CC?  The adjusted file is maintained for future editing but simply does not open in PS.  Closing PS and then reopening the file in ACR usually works but ios obviously time consuming.  I need a better workaround.

Sounds like a resources problem.

First things first: what version of Camera Raw are you using, and have you tried the latest (8.3 or 8.4 RC)? What version of Photoshop are you using? Have you applied all available updates?

It's possible that Camera Raw is crashing during the conversion, or Photoshop is unable to accept the bitmap for some reason. Usual starting points would be to check things like system resources (RAM, disk space, scratch space, etc). If you have to restart Photoshop to get it to work, this points to a problem with Photoshop. If it's not a resources problem, maybe you have conflicting plug-ins?

I think you probably need to go through a Photoshop troubleshooting checklist. I'm sure Adobe has one if you google it.

• 10. Re: ACR/PS Handoff
                            Andrew_Hart Level 2

Yammer wrote:

"It's possible that Camera Raw is crashing during the conversion, or Photoshop is unable to accept the bitmap for some reason."

Sounds like you're saying that ACR hands over a BITMAP to Ps when you press Open Image in ACR

I've often wondered what file format, if any, is passed to Ps from ACR.

Have a vague recollection of having read, in this or the Ps forum, maybe as much as a couple of years ago, that it is a TIFF file, and this from someone in authority at Adobe, maybe Eric Chan?

Would be very interested to have this cleared up if you, or anyone else, can provide a definitive answer.

• 11. Re: ACR/PS Handoff
                              Yammer Level 4

Andrew_Hart wrote:

I've often wondered what file format, if any, is passed to Ps from ACR.

Have a vague recollection of having read, in this or the Ps forum, maybe as much as a couple of years ago, that it is a TIFF file, and this from someone in authority at Adobe, maybe Eric Chan?

I don't have a definitive answer. All I can say is what I think is happening:

I don't think the data is being passed as a TIFF file--I don't think it's being passed as a file at all. This is why I called it a 'bitmap'. I mean bitmap in the most generic sense. I guess the Adobe parlance is a raster image. What I Imagine is happening is that Camera Raw passes image dimensions and workspace settings to Photoshop, in order to open a blank document, and the raster/bitmap conversion is pasted into that document.

If the new document is not being created, it's possible that some part of this process is not being performed. In which case, it might also be worth checking if there's anything unusual in Camera Raw workspace settings.

• 12. Re: ACR/PS Handoff
                                Andrew_Hart Level 2

Thanks.

Your surmise seems logical.

Perhaps Eric Chan or Jeff Schewe might see their names mentioned and chime in.

• 13. Re: ACR/PS Handoff
                                  MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

The intermediate image data that is handed off from ACR into Ps is exactly as described above -- just a bitmap.  It has the properties that you choose in the Workflow Options -- e.g., color space and bit depth, such as ProPhoto RGB and 16-bit.  There is no associated file format (it's not a TIFF, not a JPEG, not a PSD), because the intermediate image is not (yet) a file.  It only has an associated format once you choose to save the document from Photoshop (e.g., File -> Save).  Until that point, there is no format at all.

• 14. Re: ACR/PS Handoff
                                    Andrew_Hart Level 2

Thank you, Eric. Cleared up once and for all.

Nicely done, Yammer.

Andrew Hart

• 15. Re: ACR/PS Handoff
                                      Level 5

Andrew_Hart wrote:

The OP clarified his problem in post #5.

What he is saying is that after making edits in ACR and pressing the Open Image button, sometines the converted image opens in Ps and other times it does not.

What's unclear or bogus about that?

The fact that it totally flies in the face of all his previous posts in the thread, and that it totally lacks credibility.

I just don't buy it.  He was asking for an "easier handoff" from ACR to PS.

Furthermore, he had stated:

…issues with the handoff between ACR and Photoshop CS6/CC?  The adjusted file is maintained for future editing but simply does not open in PS.  Closing PS and then reopening the file in ACR usually works but ios obviously time consuming.  I need a better workaround.

Clearly he wanted to bypass ACR, which is utter nonsense.  When this was pointed out to him in replies #1 and #2, he began to back pedal in #3, and after post #4 he came up with his lame clarification in his #5.