16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2014 1:06 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elemente 12 - incompatible Display Driver on Win 8.1

MoviePeter

Hi Everybody!

I am running Windows 8.1 on an HP Ultrabook equipped with 23" external Display via USB 3.0 Port Replicator. Primary Display is off, as Notebook is closed.

I have installed PE12 before updating to W8.1.

Starting PE 12 results in an alert message: "incompatible display driver detected, please update..."

Updating Chipset Drivers resulted in "most recent driver installed".

How can I get that software running???

Thank you in advance

Peter

• 1. Re: Premiere Elemente 12 - incompatible Display Driver on Win 8.1
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This article, from the FAQs to the right of this forum, explains how to update your display driver and delete the BadDriver.txt file.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/769303?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Premiere Elemente 12 - incompatible Display Driver on Win 8.1
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to the Windows Control Panel and select Hardware and Sound and then select Device Manager... In Device manager you click the + sign to the left of Display Adapters... and see if 2 are listed

If you DO have 2 graphics adapters, read below

-http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/error---preludevideo-play-modules.html

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1001579

-Use BIOS http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1019004?tstart=0

-link to why http://forums.adobe.com/message/4685328

-http://www.anandtech.com/show/4839/mobile-gpu-faceoff-amd-dynamic-switchable-graphics-vs-n vidia-optimus-technology/2

• 3. Re: Premiere Elemente 12 - incompatible Display Driver on Win 8.1
              A.T. Romano Level 7

MoviePeter

After you confirm that your computer's video card/graphics card is up to date, then....

If you are going to delete the BadDrivers.txt file for Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, the instructions suggested need some modification for verison 12.

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the Premiere Elements Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. That BadDrivers.txt file may be in that Premiere Elements Folder with other folders. You want only the BadDrivers.txt file in that Premiere Elements Folder and not anything in those folders in the Premiere Elements Folder.baddrivers.JPG

Once you open a Premiere Elements project, the program will generate a new BadDrivers.txt file and hopefully the issues will be gone.

As said, be sure to be working from Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path

cited.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elemente 12 - incompatible Display Driver on Win 8.1
                MoviePeter Level 1

Hi Gents!

Thank you very much for your help.

I do have 2 graphic adapters, but no catalyst control center.

What worked for me (user, not admin) was

* set the energy options to full power

* right-click on PE12-Icon

--> Compatibility Problems

--> Standard Settings

--> Test

PE12 started without any trouble

created new project

import movie from HDD

close

--> Continue, Save Settings, finish

System said, issues were fixed but did not tell, how...

Thank you again!

Cheers,

Peter

• 5. Re: Premiere Elemente 12 - incompatible Display Driver on Win 8.1
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Peter

Great news. Great job.

Thanks for that valuable follow up which will be helpful to all.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elemente 12 - incompatible Display Driver on Win 8.1
                    BentMedvind Level 1

sorry, but I have the same problem with my laptop - I have updated my  GeForce GTX 670M - reinstalled pe 12 ( my pe11 still works fine on the same laptop)

Deleted baddrivers.txt at least 20 times

Tried:

set the energy options to full power

* right-click on PE12-Icon

--> Compatibility Problems

no luck at all.

Problem is that I am on an offshore photographic job and I have to deliver a timelap made in my PE 12. I have already delivered one to days ago.

My PE12 has worked fine for the last 7 days, then suddenly after a restart it could not be started.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elemente 12 - incompatible Display Driver on Win 8.1
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

BentMedvind

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Are you working from the 12.1 Update or still with the 12?

Are you sure that your permissions are OK...User Account with Administrative Privileges as well as Run As Administrator (after right click of Premiere Elements desktop icon and selection of Run As Administrator). Latest version of QuickTime installed? Check the issue with and without the antivirus disabled?

Do you have pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, and conformed video?

See Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder, Media Cache Files Folder. If Windows, they are in Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0.

For conformed video, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and its Media Cache Database section and

click on "Clean" button.

If you ventured into the Properties under the Premiere Elements 12 desktop icon and the Compatibility Tab, please do not have a check mark next to

"Run this program in compatibility mode for".

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elemente 12 - incompatible Display Driver on Win 8.1
                        BentMedvind Level 1

W7 Pro 64 bit  - What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

12.1   Are you working from the 12.1 Update or still with the 12?

Yes - Are you sure that your permissions are OK...

Yes - User Account with Administrative Privileges as well as Run As Administrator (after right click of Premiere Elements desktop icon and selection of Run As Administrator).

Yes - 7.7.4. Latest version of QuickTime installed?

Yes -  Check the issue with and without the antivirus disabled?

I have deleted all the folders   Do you have pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, and conformed video?

See Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder, Media Cache Files Folder. If Windows, they are in Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0.

not possibel as the program will not start  For conformed video, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and its Media Cache Database section and

click on "Clean" button.

no check mark there  If you ventured into the Properties under the Premiere Elements 12 desktop icon and the Compatibility Tab, please do not have a check mark next to

"Run this program in compatibility mode for".

I still get the: BadDrivers.txt

As pe12 starts up it seems like it stops when the startup screen says: loading Quicktimeimporter.prm or something like that.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elemente 12 - incompatible Display Driver on Win 8.1
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

BentMedvind

I will be back shortly with more information, for now

I am working on the following that your wrote in your latest post

As pe12 starts up it seems like it stops when the startup screen says: loading Quicktimeimporter.prm or something like that.

At the present time are you getting any messages that your video card/graphics card is not up to date or is causing a problem? I was not sure what you meant by

I still get the: BadDrivers.txt

After you delete the BadDrivers.txt file, it is normal for it to be generated again by the program when you open the program again after the file's deletion. But, hopefully the program will now open with no problems.

More later.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elemente 12 - incompatible Display Driver on Win 8.1
                            BentMedvind Level 1

No I don´t get any message regarding the videocard - At the present time are you getting any messages that your video card/graphics card is not up to date or is causing a problem? I was not sure what you meant by

• 11. Re: Premiere Elemente 12 - incompatible Display Driver on Win 8.1
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

BentMedvind

Just to make sure we are OK with the latest exchange of information, it is my understanding

a. No display card error messages from the program

and

b. The program does not launch, stopping at quicktimeimporter.prm.

From what I have read, many of this type of situation has been resolved by disabling the firewall with the rationale that file like dynamiclinkmanager is being blocked from getting to important files because of firewall protection. If this turns out to be the case, then we would need to look into writing exceptions in the firewall.

Another strategy that worked for one with this type of problem was to go from the latest version of Quicktime to an earlier version. In the case that I read, the version went to was 7.6.6. Older versions of QuickTime can be found at the following link.

Download Old Versions of QuickTime for Windows - OldVersion.com

We will be watching for your results to decide what next if the project persists.

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elemente 12 - incompatible Display Driver on Win 8.1
                                BentMedvind Level 1

Have stopped the firewall and allowed all traffic -

From what I have read, many of this type of situation has been resolved by disabling the firewall with the rationale that file like dynamiclinkmanager is being blocked from getting to important files because of firewall protection. If this turns out to be the case, then we would need to look into writing exceptions in the firewall.

Removed the newest version and installaed 7.6.6. -

Another strategy that worked for one with this type of problem was to go from the latest version of Quicktime to an earlier version. In the case that I read, the version went to was 7.6.6. Older versions of QuickTime can be found at the following link.

Download Old Versions of QuickTime for Windows - OldVersion.com

same result again - pe12 not starting.

Does the copy of  error report from F-Secure help you:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>

<Level>4</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-06-16T21:02:14.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>24360</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>medvind-ABook</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data />

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>APPCRASH</Data>

<Data>Ikke tilgængelig</Data>

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>Adobe Premiere Elements.exe</Data>

<Data>12.0.0.0</Data>

<Data>530bd24a</Data>

<Data>WorkspaceManager.dll</Data>

<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>

<Data>523cd2f7</Data>

<Data>c0000005</Data>

<Data>0000000000013070</Data>

<Data />

<Data />

<Data>C:\Users\medvind\AppData\Local\Temp\WER9A7C.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml</Data>

<Data>C:\Users\medvind\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Adobe Premiere E_d162227a4febdf6c14e1c316fcd1d65b7c15bd5_2234ae4a</Data>

<Data />

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>7a2ee7ac-f599-11e3-ac1f-0090f5d6b56a</Data>

<Data>1</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

I

I have to stop for today

• 13. Re: Premiere Elemente 12 - incompatible Display Driver on Win 8.1
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

BentMedvind

Thanks for working through the troubleshooting questions.

The last link that you provided is not working. It gives the following message

The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Is the information in the latter part of your latest post the content that would be expected to be found in the link if the link opened?

Shortly I will go through that information and comment for when you have time to return to the thread.

Thank you again.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere Elemente 12 - incompatible Display Driver on Win 8.1
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

BentMedvind

I have looked at your F-Secure data but am unable to translate that into a meaningful troubleshooting plan based on it.

Does your computer's Manage/Event Viewer/Windows Logs/Application give you any targets other than what you see in the

F-Secure data?

Check List for Now...To Confirm or Act On...

1. Current Status: New and Existing Premiere Elements 12 projects will not open.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/04/pe12-premiere-elements-12-editor-will.html

What is the further you have been able to get in 12.1 since its failure - Welcome Screen, Expert workspace, other? Still the hang ups

on the launch stopping at the quicktimeimporter.prm?

2. Have you deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and/or the 12.0 Folder in which it exists?

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

3. Have you installed and run Premiere Elements 12 from a new User Account with Administrative Privileges?

4. Since the program was working 7 days ago, have you attempted a System Restore to that time when the program was working?

If you have gone through all in this post and in this thread, it is probably time to get Adobe via its Adobe Chat involved in your issue in the hopes that it has some undocumented troubleshooting that might resolve the issue. To do that, you would click on the following link, and, when it opens, click on the statement "Still Need Help? Contact us." to bring up the Adobe Chat to dig into the topic of "Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up".

Contact Customer Care

Your contact with Adobe Chat does not prohibit us from working on your issue here.

I will continue to see for answers.

Please review and consider the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 15. Re: Premiere Elemente 12 - incompatible Display Driver on Win 8.1
                                      BentMedvind Level 1

2. Have you deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and/or the 12.0 Folder in which it exists?

This seem to work - it started and I could get my project running again.

I even kept all my publish settings and I could make a project archive

I´m a happy man!!  Thanks!

• 16. Re: Premiere Elemente 12 - incompatible Display Driver on Win 8.1
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

BentMedvind

Thanks for the great news "...project running again". Great job of staying with the troubleshooting to reach a successful conclusion.

Best wishes moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects. We were glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

ATR