12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2014 9:27 AM by A.T. Romano

Copying a Premiere Elements project

RRman35

How do I copy a Premier Elements 11 project and all its associated files from one computer to another?

• 1. Re: Copying a Premiere Elements project
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest that you look into the Project Archiver, and use an external HDD.

With an external, one consideration is the drive letter (PC), or Volume Name (Mac). I always set up the same unique drive letter for each external, in the OS of both computers, so that it will ALWAYS show with the same drive letter. I do this on first use of the external.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Copying a Premiere Elements project
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Under the File menu, select the Project Archiver. It will send a copy of your project file and all associated media to a new folder, a thumb drive or an external drive.

• 3. Re: Copying a Premiere Elements project
              RRman35 Level 1

Many thanks…I will try that.  When a thumb-drive is inserted in a USB port I believe it’s assigned the next available drive letter.  Do you know if you can setup the drive management to always assign that particular thumb-drive to the same letter (assuming it’s still available) every time it’s inserted?

- John (RRman35)

• 4. Re: Copying a Premiere Elements project
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US and search for a Microsoft article on assigning drive letters

Also, if you only have 2 drives, so your projects and files are on your 2nd drive, read Bill Hunt on project setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/919388?tstart=0

• 5. Re: Copying a Premiere Elements project
                  RRman35 Level 1

Very helpful…thanks.

John (RRman35)

• 6. Re: Copying a Premiere Elements project
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Could you elaborate on

I always set up the same unique drive letter for each external, in the OS of both computers, so that it will ALWAYS show with the same drive letter. I do this on first use of the external.

Even on a one computer model (not the two computer model)

If I have a drive line up of C, E, G, and H where E, G, and H are external hard drives which are not unplugged and plugged in routinely, how do I keep removable devices from swapping drive letters with E, G, or H?

From what you wrote, it sure sounds like you found the way.

I am trying to gain some insights into your workflow since I have not found it necessary to get drive letter changing incorporated into

getting the job done for "copy a Premier Elements 11 project and all its associated files from one computer to another".

Thanks.

ATR

ATR

• 7. Re: Copying a Premiere Elements project
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

If one sets the drive letter of an external HDD in the OS, the OS reads the drives ID and then reserves that letter, say X:\ for that external HDD. Every time that one plugs that external into the computer, it will always be X:\.

Because my workstation has so many HDD's, and two optical multi-drives, I started with Z:\, and worked backward. When I got to external P:\, I started over again. Each external has a sticker on it, with its assigned drive letter, so I know what will show up in the OS. Since I have so many externals, I have to make sure that I do not plug in both of my Z:\ externals, or the OS gets very, very confused. However, I do not need to ever have both of my Z:\ drives at the same time, so I just need to look at the stickers, before I begin grabbing externals.

As I might work with the same external on up to four computers, I just set the drive letter in the OS of each computer, so that Z:\ is Z:\ on each one.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Copying a Premiere Elements project
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Can I boil your scheme down to setting UP drives from Z to P, rather than accepting the computer Local Disk C and having the external drives install (name wise) alphabetically DOWNWARD according the Windows scheme?

Just what are the optical drive letters when all this is going on?

And all this guarantees that none of the drives swap letters with all the plugging in and out going on?

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Copying a Premiere Elements project
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, for my internal HDD's (other than Renaming them), I leave my Disk 0 as C:\, Disk 1 as D:\, Disk 2 as E:\, Disk 3 as F:\, Disk 4 as G:\ and Disk 5 as H:\. Then, my two multi-drives are I:\ & J:\. I have my card reader as K:\, so my externals are started at Z:\, working backward to L:\. Even though my other computers do not have that many assigned drive letters, I always stop at L:\, so that there are no conflicts with my workstation.

I have never had any issues, regardless of when an external is plugged-in, or turned on, with that setup.

Z:\ is always seen as Z:\, regardless of which computer it's plugged into, as I have manuallly set it to Z:\ in the OS of each computer.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Copying a Premiere Elements project
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

RRman35

You wrote

When a thumb-drive is inserted in a USB port I believe it’s assigned the next available drive letter.  Do you know if you can setup the drive management to always assign that particular thumb-drive to the same letter (assuming it’s still available) every time it’s inserted?

After asking questions of Hunt and reading his explanation for his unique drive setup, I believe the answer to your question to be No for your one computer. The computer automatically assigns the next available drive letter and, if you want, you can change that in Disk Management. But, although the occasions are rare, there is no guarantee that drive letter swapping will not take place on that one particular computer. When it does happen, you can go into Disk Management to correct the situation, and that "correction" will hold until the next rare occurence of this drive letter swapping happens again.

True, if a second computer is involved, and the drive letter is I on the first and H on the second for the same removable drive, you can change the H to I on the second computer in Disc Management if you want but with the same considerations as cited when just one computer was involved.

But the basics of the above should not make a difference for the basics of what you want to do

copy a Premier Elements 11 project and all its associated files from one computer to another

Scenario 1

1. Premiere Elements 11 project A on Computer 1.

File Menu/Project Archiver/Copy Option/Browse to USB Flash Drive (Drive Letter I in this example)

2. Confirm that you have a folder named "Copied_project name" on the USB Flash Drive.

3. After Safely Remove of USB Flash Drive from Computer 1, insert the USB Flash Drive into Computer 2.

4. Open the USB Flash Drive (now given Drive Letter H by Computer 2 in this example), open the "Copied_project name"

Folder, right click the project.prel inside that folder, select Open With and then Premiere Elements 11.

5. The project should open in Premiere Elements 11 in Computer 2 without issue. You should be able to save/close/and open

that project in Computer 2 as long as the USB Flash Drive is inserted into the USB port of Computer 2.

6. You could use that USB Flash Drive for all such projects between computers. It will not matter if the

drive letter of the USB Flash Drive in a particular computer is X, Y, or Z.

The major shortcoming that I see is not drive letter, but rather program version. If Computer 1 has

Premiere Elements 11 and Computer 2 has Premiere Elements 12, then after you edit the Computer 1

Premiere Elements 11 project in Computer 2 Premiere Elements 12, you will not be able to edit the

latter back in Computer 1 Premiere Elements 11. That has nothing to do with drive letter.

If you did not want to use the USB Flash Drive as an "external hard drive", then you could copy the "Copied_project name"

Folder to an external hard drive attached to Computer 2 or copy it to Computer 2 Local Disk C location.

Remember, in the case of working from the archived project.prel, the project.prel should be tracing back to copies of the

project's source media in the "Copied_project name" Folder.

Please review and consider and let us know what works for you.

Thanks.

ATR                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

• 11. Re: Copying a Premiere Elements project
                              RRman35 Level 1

Many thanks…we did a computer-to-computer ‘copy’ last night using the archive process and it worked fine.  My question was one of mechanics (i.e. relying on a consistent drive letter assignment for the thumb-drive).  If we find anything further of note regarding drive letter assignments, we’ll let you know about it.

- John (RRman35)

• 12. Re: Copying a Premiere Elements project
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

John (RRman35)

Thanks for the update. Congratulations on your success with the computer-to-computer "copy". Great job.

Best wishes

ATR