9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2014 5:37 AM by Peter Spier

InDesign is crashing the whole computer

Typovilla

During a workprocess InDesign suddenly freezes and crashes. Afterwards I cannot open the programm again. The error-windows says, that I don't have the rights to open it an should delete the presettings folder. If I do this, the same is happening, with the difference, that the whole computer is freezing. After a restart, InDesign starts again and the computer is freezing while trying to connect to na1r.services.adobe.com with the Creative-Cloud.

And from this moment, I cannot use the network-user anymore.

Any idea, how to solve this?

• 1. Re: InDesign is crashing the whole computer
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Just a guess, but try reinstalling the CC Desktop Application.

• 2. Re: InDesign is crashing the whole computer
            Typovilla Level 1

Of course I can reinstall the computer, but I think it is annoying to do it twice a month. I don't think, that this could be a solution for long term working.

I hoped to get the final hint to avoid this procedure ;)

And InDesign is working with another user at the same computer until the same situation is happening.

• 3. Re: InDesign is crashing the whole computer

I did not suggest reinstalling anything other than the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop Application, which is control central for CC.

However, since you say it works correctly in a different user that means the problem is in the user account, not any of the programs. Start by replacing the inDesign Prefernces in that account. See Replace Your Preferences

If that doesn't fix it, you may need to close ALL adobe applications and remove the user's adobe-related folders fom their library/account (NOT THE APPLICATION FOLDERS).

• 4. Re: InDesign is crashing the whole computer
                Typovilla Level 1

And I did it now. (Reinstall creative Cloud Desktop App) And I cannot use my Programms anymore on all users, because the connection between eg. inDesign and the cloud with my user is not working anymore. Than I deinstalled everything incl. creative cloud Dektop and used Adobe Cleaner (??? Dont remeber the exact name), than reinstalled everything. Just took me a weekend. And can still not login.

And by the way: the freezing situation killed the first computer, because I had to hard restart the computer twice a day. I don't think it is funny anymore. Now the second computer is doing the same trouble.

And since thursday I cannot work! (Older versions of the programm cannot open the documents.)

• 5. Re: InDesign is crashing the whole computer

Did you try waht I suggested in Post 3? This is a user account problem (or was before you reinstalled, and unless you wiped the prefs probably still is).

• 6. Re: InDesign is crashing the whole computer
                    Typovilla Level 1

Hej Peter,

Yes, I did. I don't know what the problem causes. I tried with a stationer user, a network-user and created a new user.

• 7. Re: InDesign is crashing the whole computer

You said it worked in another user. Perhaps I misunderstood, and you meant it previously also worked in another user, but also failed in that account at the same time? If youo really did mean that it no longer worked in any user account, then no, replacing prefs or fiddling with the accounts would not be the answer.

Are you sure you are using the correct Adobe ID to log in? Does that ID work on the Adobe.com website? Does it show a subscription to CC in the account details?

• 8. Re: InDesign is crashing the whole computer
                        Typovilla Level 1

Hello Peter,

I know, that deleting some prefs can help to solve the problem. But it didn't in my case.

I did the following and got the following information:

I contacted the Adobe support via chat and later telephone. This is a problem know at the moment. The programs cannot connect to the server to register. They say they do, but the server is not receiving the registration and therfore the programs cannot work. It is happening very often at the moment.

The only solution is: deinstall everything what is connected to Adobe. Than use AdobeCreativeCleanerTool, than remove a lot of files:

/Programme/Adobe*

/Programme/.AdobePatchFiles (hidden, use Go > Go to Folder command)

/Programme/Utilities/Adobe*

/Library/Application Support/Adobe*

/Library/Application Support/FLEXnet Publisher/

/Library/Preferences/Adobe*

/Library/Preferences/com.adobe*

/Library/Preferences/FLEXnet Publisher/

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe*

~/Library/Caches/Adobe*

~/Library/Caches/com.adobe*

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe*

~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe*

/Library/PreferencePanes/VersionCue.prefPane

/Library/ColorSync*

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/

/Library/Logs/Adobe/Installers

/Applications/Utilites/Adobe Installers

/Library/Logs/Adobe

Than create a new admin user on the computer. In this user I should reinstall all the Programms again and than it should work.

And if it happens again, I have to go through this procedure again.

They promised me now, it should work. I will tell, if not.