4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2006 6:08 AM by ageofem

Is it possible to modify a paper doc. scetch

John At Jane
      I'm fairly new to Fireworks and am wondering if I can take a pencil and paper scetch of some technical hardware and work with it in Fireworks.

For example, could I scetch out a few lines of my equipment and then scan it, import it, and then somehow work with the lines in that scetch to modify them - darken them, freeform movement of the lines, color etc. ??? I think I understand how to color in areas of the scetch with the majic wond but I don't see any way to work with the lines themselves.

Thanks for any help.
        • 1. Re: Is it possible to modify a paper doc. scetch
          Level 7
          John At Jane wrote:

> For example, could I scetch out a few lines of my equipment and then scan it,
          > import it, and then somehow work with the lines in that scetch to modify them -
          > darken them, freeform movement of the lines, color etc. ??? I think I
          > understand how to color in areas of the scetch with the majic wond but I don't
          > see any way to work with the lines themselves.

Trace the lines with either the line or Pen tool.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] **Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks**
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: Is it possible to modify a paper doc. scetch
            John At Jane Level 1

Thanks. I'm giving that a try. I'm a bit clumsy with the pen tool but I think I'll get it down.

• 3. Re: Is it possible to modify a paper doc. scetch
              Level 7
              John At Jane wrote:
              > Thanks. I'm giving that a try. I'm a bit clumsy with the pen tool but I think I'll get it down.

Do you have access to any other vector drawing program like FreeHand or
              Illustrator? Both have tools that can speed up that process quite a bit.

--
              St�phane Bergeron
              reach:connect:communicate
              www.webfocusdesign.com
              blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
              www.pixelyzed.com
              • 4. Re: Is it possible to modify a paper doc. scetch
                ageofem Level 1
                My suggestion would be , after scanning your image. Use the vector tools in tracing and coloring your images, since it gives you more flexibility and control over your technical work. In fireworks 8 , if you use the magic wand tool , you could make your marquees into paths , which allows you to trace your images faster, now this technique might not always work, especially if the trace lines have irregular edges and so on. To give you an example on tracing a technical illustration and coloring it. I have traced this hyundai coupe car, zoomed to 200 or even more for a close look. Using the pen and polygon tools. Scaled the image larger and added some colors using gradients and live effects >

http://img283.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sample1le.png <<< view the source,