8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2016 7:31 PM by BobLevine

Can I upgrade to CS6 without going on Creative Cloud?

GregBen

I have CS4.  Softwaremedia.com says I can buy CS6 and get a perpetual license, not a subscription.  They say I do not have to go on Creative Cloud.  My question is whether Adobe will honor that, or will they make me get on CC in order to make the upgrade work.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Can I upgrade to CS6 without going on Creative Cloud?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can buy CS6 as a perpetual license but there is no upgrade path. You will have to pay full price.

• 2. Re: Can I upgrade to CS6 without going on Creative Cloud?
            GregBen Level 1

Okay, thanks very much.

• 3. Re: Can I upgrade to CS6 without going on Creative Cloud?

You should note a few things before throwing good money after bad.

CS6 will no longer be offered through regular channels (though it will remain a choice for individuals). Creative Cloud is now at about 2 million subscribers and subscriptions are being added at 25 to 30k per week.

Your CS4 license entitles you to intro pricing of $29.99/month for the first year and you can get a 30 day trial before you make any decisions.

• 4. Re: Can I upgrade to CS6 without going on Creative Cloud?
                mark hilaryw90324012

So, I get the idea with CC, especially for professionals. But I gather that desktop (non-Cloud) versions no longer have any upgrade path except for going CC.

I am definitely NOT a professional (thought admittedly a computer geek). I am the newsletter editor for a small (300 member) not-for-profit organization. The previous editor used MS Word (ugh!) for the newsletters. When I took over 8 years ago, I started off with MS Publisher (ugh!, but not as bad), but within a year I bought InDesign CS5. Subsequently, I upgraded to InDesign CS6, which has worked great for me and my very limited needs. In addition, I have used Apple's Aperture. But when they stopped supporting it last year, I moved to Lightroom 6.

While I am willing to spend $150 or $200 years ~every other year for upgrades, I am reluctant to go to a monthly/annual service fee for non-critical (for me) applications.

Is there anyway to buy newer versions of Lightroom or InDesign without the Creative Cloud functionality for a one-time payment? Or do I need to just suck it up and either <1> stay with the current (non-CC) versions I have for eternity (or until my OS no longer supports them) then go to a lesser quality non-professional application OR <2> get on the CCloud bandwagon and pay the lowest monthly/annual fee I can to get a professional quality application? As I said, I'm a geek and love the latest and greatest, but for these particular uses, I can't really justify the longer-term monthly costs of a "pay-as-you-go" plan.

Opinions gratefully appreciated.

• 5. Re: Can I upgrade to CS6 without going on Creative Cloud?
                  danclar

Like you, I've been using CS products from the get-go (actually started with PageMaker!), I'm now using CS6 and don't need all the bells and whistles of the higher versions. I'm paying for creative cloud, I had to to get CS 6 in the first place. But now no option to put it on my new computer! I don't want to have to mess with the many things I will never use. Maybe I'll go back to CS4 that I still have the software and license for (somewhere I hope).
                  But if anyone knows how to get CS6 on CC (or otherwise), please let me know. From reading other posts, it used to be an option.
                  Can I buy the boxed version from someone else (if I can find one) and still run it... doesn't it have to go through Adobe registration to run. I hate all this control once you buy something!

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Can I upgrade to CS6 without going on Creative Cloud?

CS6 has always been and still is a part of Creative Cloud. Scroll down in the apps tab of the CC Desktop app and look for previous versions.

• 7. Re: Can I upgrade to CS6 without going on Creative Cloud?
                      danclar Level 1

i don't have the desktop app running, but when I went to downloads from CC, there is no option for CS6 any longer. I followed instructions per web advice about how to get to the right download for previous versions, but just couldn't find CS6. Will try again when deadline is over.

Thank you for your response!

danielle