4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2014 11:04 AM by A.T. Romano

Minimum duration of transitions?

vctv

Is it possible to make transitions, such as Dip to Black or Dip to White, shorter than one second? This is commonly done in news stories to smooth out jump cuts during interviews. In Premiere Elements 12, if I enter a value less than one for the duration it gets changed back to one.

• 1. Re: Minimum duration of transitions?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

vctv

For Premiere Elements 12 as it relates specifically to Dip to Black or Dip to White....

Yes. For a Left clip or Right clip transition, you can set a transition with a duration of 1 frame. I will tell you how in a minute.

For a Between Clips transition, you can set for a transition with a duration of 2 frames. I will tell you how in a minute.

I am preparing graphics for the how to.

To be continued.

ATR

• 2. Re: Minimum duration of transitions?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

vctv

In the first screenshot, I have select a Dip to Black transition. You can see the default transition duration of 1 second (30 frames in the NTSC setup of 30 frames per second).

transition 1.JPG

In the Transition Adjustments pop up, you can change the duration seconds, but not the duration frames. In the Transition Adjustments pop up, you cannot set for below Duration l second.

However you can get a transition duration less than one second in two ways....

a. Here the minimum transition duration would be 2 frames (0.07 seconds).

Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and set "Video Transition Default Duration" = 1 frame.

When you do, the Transition Adjustments pop up with your Dip To Black Transition "Between Clips" will look like this

Between Clips

Duration 0 (2 frames)

BetweenClip1JPG.JPG

And the same result Duration in 0 seconds 2 frames will be seen if the Alignment is "Left Clip" or "Right Clip".

b. If you leave the default transition at 30 frames (1 second) in preferences....Here you will get your transition duration of 1 frame

Left Clip

With the mouse cursor, drag the left edge of the transition in 29 frames (you will see a frames readout as you drag the transition in). Result, you have a Left Clip transition with a 1 frame duration.

very latest.JPG

In a similar manner, if you drag the right edge of the Right Clip in 29 frames, using the frames readout as guide...result, you have a Right Clip transition with a 1 frame duration.

If you extend this approach to the Between Clip alignment, then you are left with a transition duration of 2 frames.

Bottom Line seems to be:

NTSC

Minimum transition duration 0.03 (1 frame) or 0.07 (2 frames) depending on the circumstances described above.

PAL

Minimum transition duration 0.04 (1 frame) or 0.08 (2 frames) depending on the circumstances described above.

Please review and see if the above works for you. If any questions or need clarification, please let me know. I have proofread the above, so it should be OK. If not, please let me know where you see a problem.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Minimum duration of transitions?
              vctv Level 1

Thank you. I was so focused on trying to get the preferences and dialog to

do it that I overlooked the obvious option of simply dragging the

transition to the desired length in the timeline. I had assumed that the

minimum in the dialog would apply to dragging as well.

• 4. Re: Minimum duration of transitions?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

vctv

Thanks for the follow up. Glad that the suggestion worked for you.

That Transition Adjustments pop up can be a challenge.

Have you read my blog post on PE11: Audio Transitions Problem

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-audio-transitions-problem.html

Best Wishes

ATR