9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2014 5:00 PM by A.T. Romano

Saving Files

Lordenham

OK, I edited my first little movie, and now it's stuck as a .prel file....and when I go to 'Save As' there are NO options to save it as an mpeg4

Does anyone else find this program counter intuitive????

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Saving Files
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Save or Save as are ONLY for your project file

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has several SHARING links that will help

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Saving Files
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Lordenham

You need to do an overview of the program and its features. And, when you seek help related to a program's features, you do need to let us know what version of Premiere Elements that you are working with and on what computer operating system it is running.

But, for now, the immediate answer to your immediate question in a generalized way.

If you want to export your Timeline content as a file with a .mp4 file extension, you should be able to do that in two ways (again depending on the version of the program that you are using)....assuming Premiere Elements 12 Windows for now

a. Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD and setting one of the presets to a .mp4 choice. This could give you a AVCHD.mp4 choice.

b. Publish+Share/Mobile Phones and Players. This could give you a H.264.mp4 file.

Compression settings, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive would all be some other choices that would accompany the file

extension choice.

With more details, we can customize the reply for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Saving Files
              Lordenham Level 1

Adobe Premiere Elements 12 for Windows...so I followed your instructions and was able to do it.

I watched the tutuorials that were on the "guide" section of the program, and it was helpful but alas, I did not go deeper.

Thank you, L

• 4. Re: Saving Files
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Click the link I provided in reply #1 and start at the top

• 5. Re: Saving Files
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lordenham

You are doing great. Great job getting your .mp4 exports.

The generalized principles to keep in mind.

a. know the properties of your source files

b. use the source files' properties to make sure that the project settings match those

source files properties

c. when you go to export, if your project is 4:3, then go with a 4:3 export; if your project is 16:9, then go with

a 16:9 export.

I will give you this example. Later, if you want, you can give me information on what you actually have for source files, and we can go through the following routine for them

Assume the your video files are 1080p (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second).

The project preset should be (assuming your program is set for NTSC area)....

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @29.97

That is what the program should set for you automatically when you drag that video to the Timeline for the first time.

(You can check to see if it did it correctly by looking at the readings under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General - Editing Mode

Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio). For the moment we will assume the program made the set correctly.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

Edit.

On to export as .mp4 (AVCHD.mp4)

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30

or

On to export as .mp4 (H.264.mp4)

Publish+Share

Mobile Phones and Players

Apple iPod, iPad, and iPhone

and then select one of the presets...if you want, you can change the default settings for one of these presets....in that case, then use the preset's Advanced Tab/Video Tab and Audio Tab to customize the Export Settings for the preset.

If the Video Tab area does not allow you to change a frame size, then do the Level and Profile settings first and click next to the Frame Width Frame Height to unlink the two so that you can type in the values wanted.

Lots to explore and experiment with in the program. You made a good choice working through the Guided Tutorials in the program. Good start. The program's Help PDF files are worthwhile also.

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/elements-organizer_reference.pdf

Please review and then let us know how we might help.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Saving Files
                    Lordenham Level 1

Great info!  I am using a Sony camera and making these videos for my website...I've noticed using some transitions and text, the file is really big.  Not exactly great to email and open.

Is there an effective way to compress your movie?  Again, I'm talking 2-3 minutes or less...but it's now taking about 1/2 an hour to open it when sent as a link from Dropbox.

Yes, I have a lot to learn but will put in the time and work to become proficient.

Thanks, Lorraine

• 7. Re: Saving Files
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Lorraine,

File size is dependent on two things:

Bit-rate

Duration, or length of Timeline

As one usually has a fixed Duration for the Timeline, the only option is then Bit-rate. However, here there are some trade-offs.

The higher the Bit-rate, the larger the file. The lower the Bit-rate, the lower the quality of the file.

Now, and with that said, there is something else that can factor into the mix - the Video CODEC used to output the file. Some Video CODEC's will provide higher-quality (visually) at lower Bit-rates. For instance, the H.264 CODEC is more efficient than, say the MPEG-2 DV CODEC, used for creating DVD-Videos. The H.264 CODEC is quite good, and is highly popular. One often sees it with regard to AVCHD footage.

A couple of things to experiment on would be to output your Timeline with the AVCHD H.264 CODEC, and then adjust the Bit-rate down from the default, to see if the quality is adequate, when the file size gets down to where you are comfortable with it.

Another option, if you are not getting adequate quality and small enough files, would be to explore a Video CODEC, such as DivX. It does a very good job of balancing the visual quality into small files, ideal for streaming video. Note: the recipient/viewer would need the DivX CODEC on their system, or in their media player (some players, like VLC, GOM and MediaPlayer Classic HC have the CODEC built in). Again, some experimenting will yield the best balance of quality vs file size.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Saving Files
                        Lordenham Level 1

For your suggestion in paragraph 6 "A couple of things..." where can I find detailed instructions to do that?  Thanks,

• 9. Re: Saving Files
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Lorraine

Thanks for the follow up.

With regard to changing the bitrate for a file, That can be down under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab of the preset selected.

The generalization is lower the bitrate, lower the file size, but lower the quality and higher the bitrate, greater the file size, and greater the quallty. But everything can have its limits. The bitrate changes that you will be making under the Advanced Button will not be affecting the files duration.

Bitrate.JPG

It is important to make the distinction between thinking to shorten the duration of a file by these bitrate adjustments versus the concepts of file size

and bitrate and quality. We are not talking file duration here. Focus is file size, bitrate, quality.

Please consider and then let us know how we can help.

ATR