3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2014 12:41 PM by IsakTen

How do I remove password security from a file?

ahaywiy

I have received some files with password security, and since I know the password, I have no problem opening and reading them.  I am using Adobe Acrobat 9.5.5.  I now want to save these files on my computer (they came by e-mail) and remove the security from them.  I have no trouble saving the files, but when I try to remove the security I am asked to enter a Permissions Password.  But after I enter the password I get a message saying that the password is incorrect and suggesting that I should check CapsLock.  In fact I am entering the correct password.  What should I do to remove the passwords?

• 1. Re: How do I remove password security from a file?
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You need the permissions password. You have the password for opening the document, which is not sufficient for removing security. When you set up password security, you have the option of setting a document open password, but it's not required to set up security restrictions.

• 2. Re: How do I remove password security from a file?
            whittingtonan

I'm using Pro XI on a Windows 7 Enterprise system and I'm having a similar issue.  I didn't set a document password, only a permissions password.  The password works fine on the template with empty fields but when I try to edit an already completed form (I am the form author) and it asks for the permissions password, I get the same message about the password being incorrect and to check the Caps Lock (it's not on).

Any suggestions?

• 3. Re: How do I remove password security from a file?
              IsakTen Level 4

This is a different question than the one that ahaywiy asked. You'll be better off asking your question separately. While doing it keep in mind that if you set only the Permissions password then you can open PDF without entering any password. What do you mean by "The password works fine on the template with empty fields"? What are you trying to do: to change permissions? What do you mean by "try to edit an already completed form"? You want to fill some form fields and Acrobat asks you for the Permissions password at this point? Or do you want to change permissions on a completed form? Have you saved and reopened the completed form?

Include answers to these questions when you post your separate question.