16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2014 10:03 AM by kandiimann

Will this laptop suit my needs?

kandiimann Level 1

Hi my current laptop is not powerful enough. It's a Toshiba Satellite P50-ABT2G22 http://www.pcworld.com/product/pg/1235609190/detail

*Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)   

*8GB DDR3L 1600MHz (4GB + 4GB)

*1.0TB (5400rpm); Hybrid 8G Serial ATA hard disk drive  

*2GB GDDR3 NVIDIA ® GeForce® GT 740M with Optimus™ Technology

I make 1080p music videos with a lot of animation and heavy effects, which are usually around 6 minutes long. With my current laptop when about 2-3 minutes of the video is completed, RAM previews and updates in the composition monitor when changing things slow down to the point that i can't really finish the video. Each frame takes like 3 seconds to load. So i guess i need a new laptop.I'm pretty sold on MSI's Dominator pro 888, I just wanted to get some approval. Do you guys think this will get the job done? My only concern is that the processors are very similar. But with 4x more RAM, much better GPU, and the SSD, I'm hoping I'll be able to make my 6 minute, effects heavy, videos extremely smoothly, with no lag. What do you guys think?

http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt70-dominatorpro888-p-6941.html?wconfigure=yes

4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4800MQ (2.7GHz - 3.7GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache)

NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 880M (8.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 w/ Optimus™ Technology

32GB DDR3 1600MHz [SKU-844AP] (Dual Channel Memory (4x8GB SODIMMS))

1TB HDD + 384GB SSD

• 1. Re: Will this laptop suit my needs?
          Dave LaRonde Level 7

Does it matter to you that you'll almost always get better AE performance on a desktop machine as opposed to a laptop?

• 2. Re: Will this laptop suit my needs?
            kandiimann Level 1

Yes, but i really need a laptop for many reasons. But anywho, the MSI will probably definately be powerful enough right?

• 3. Re: Will this laptop suit my needs?
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

It is a great sounding laptop, the only potential problem I see is the nVidia GTX 880M.  The specs on this new GPU are lousy (memory bandwidth of only 64 GB/s versus of the GTX 780M which has a 160 GB/s).  We have had no reports on the actual performance yet because it is so new.  I have run many benchmarks on the GPU

With this unit and all the options I would suggest talking to Eric at ADK for their custom Laptop equivalent from these well recommended video editing system building experts..

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Will this laptop suit my needs?
                kandiimann Level 1

are you sure you don't have that reversed? the description here says the 880m has 160 and the 780m has 64.. http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-880M-vs-GeForce-GTX-780M

• 5. Re: Will this laptop suit my needs?

It all depends on who you believe nVidia or gpuboss.  I tend to think the manufacturer might be a better source (follow my link to nVidia and see for yourself).. 

It is sort of mind-boggling to figure out why nVidia would issue a new series of products with inferior specs.  Maybe memory bandwidth is not an important specification for gaming but it sure is for Adobe MPE based CUDA operations.  I recently have run over 50 tests of MPE acceleration on a whole series of GPU's and a bunch of them included overclocking the GPU memory.

• 6. Re: Will this laptop suit my needs?
                    kandiimann Level 1

wow, ok you've really given me something to think about. This sucks I was really sold on this dominator pro but there's no option to down grade to the 780m.

i just saw in another thread on march 4th Eric at ADK said :  I expect the GPU's to have higher performance in general for acceleration so I would still get the 880M if someone can wait for it.

I really really want this dominator pro, do you think the difference will be that noticeably dramatic?

• 7. Re: Will this laptop suit my needs?

Well it really depends on how many MPE effects and features you use and if you can stand slightly longer export times. 

For instance I shoot AVCHD and most of the time output to DVD.  This of course uses lots of GPU assisted scaling.  With GPU assistance when you add MPE effects (like color correction. brightness/contrast, etc.) the better the GPU is the better you will have realtime playback on the timeline.  When exporting the edited file a better GPU will save you a little time.  So it depends on you

I only mentioned it so if you do go ahead you will not be shocked, and I was hoping that they might still offer the GTX 700 series.  Have you checked an equivalent custom laptop from ADK, talk to Eric about your intended media, workflow, and output for a real Premiere tuned custom laptop?

I hope that you will test whatever you get with our PPBM6/7 benchmark and give us the news.  Right now my laptop is the top scoring laptop but you might be able to beat it. 

• 8. Re: Will this laptop suit my needs?
                        kandiimann Level 1

yes, I will definately run the test and give you an update! and I don't mind it taking longer on the final render to an avi file, but it is very important to have fast RAM previews and fast updates in the composition monitor when changing the parameters of an effect. I do use alot of color correction and the like. To be honest i'm a bit uneasy now, Do you think the difference will really be that noticeable?

• 9. Re: Will this laptop suit my needs?

There is little way to forecast what will happen until someone tests it.  I just checked on this laptop and while I can overclock the GPU memory (GTX 765M) from 1000 MHz up to 1516 MHz and the results of our PPBM7 GPU assisted MPEG2.DVD test dropped from 78 seconds to to 57 seconds which is an appreciable improvement.  I think that on the GTX 880M they probably had to limit the power consumption for battery only usage to meet the laptop manufacturers specifications. 

With this in mind and knowing that any real editing has to be done with the AC power brick all you will have to do is overclock the memory clock on the GTX 880M and you can boost the memory bandwidth accordingly.  It is a very easy operation.  I use EVGA's Precision X and here is what it looks like.

Overclock-GPU.jpg

Here is GPU-Z showing the operating memory clock now at 1516 MHz rather than the stock 1002 MHz and accordingly the new memory bandwidth is 97 GB/s rather than my normal specification of 64 GB/s.  If the GTX 880M has the same headroom for overclocking, you will be very happy with it.

But even so check with Eric at ADK on their 8600HW or 8600TB because they are real experts on video editing and they do include lifetime tech support and can really fine tune the configuration.

Overclock-GPU-z.jpg

• 10. Re: Will this laptop suit my needs?

Just to show you that overclocking the Memory Clock on my GTX 765M is not stressing anything look at this GPU-Z Sensor plot during an almost one minute almost 100% GPU usage run at 150% Memory Clock speed.  GPU temperature is 55°C or only a 15°C rise from zero GPU usage

Overclock-GPU-Sensor.jpg

• 11. Re: Will this laptop suit my needs?
                              kandiimann Level 1

thanks alot bill, that was some very useful info! i'll keep all of that in mind

• 12. Re: Will this laptop suit my needs?
                                kandiimann Level 1

hey bill, me again.. do you think i'd be ok going with the 870m (3GB) rather than the 880m? it will significantly reduce the price so i could get a better processor (this is for AE not premier pro) and it seems its pretty close to the 780m anyway. lots of benchmarks are getting pretty close results with the 870m beating the 780m in many instances. here for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39xSsOpeiuA ..  it'd save me alot of money and i could get a better processor. everyone keeps telling not to break the bank on the GPU if its for After Effects. do you think i'd be ok?

• 13. Re: Will this laptop suit my needs?

Absolutely, CPU first priority, GPU second.  Currently there is little GPU assist with AE, I think it is only in Ray Tracing.  Even in Premiere I would always put the CPU first especially in a laptop where you cannot overclock the CPU.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 14. Re: Will this laptop suit my needs?
                                    kandiimann Level 1

ok cool, thanks bill! and another thing, upgrading 4800MQto i7-4910MQ is $245. do you think the performance gain is worth that much? and then  i7-4910MQ to i7-4940MX is another $550, would this be worth it?

• 15. Re: Will this laptop suit my needs?

My personal choice is the first upgrade level only.  Going from a max (turbo) speed of 3.9 GHz to 4.0 GHz (the "X" version CPU) with the same 8 MB of cache, you would not see the difference.  The maximum power dissipation increase might allow some benefit in not throttling down as soon so that would be the only advantage in a long CPU intensive session like the final export process.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 16. Re: Will this laptop suit my needs?
                                        kandiimann Level 1

ok thanks alot bill!