7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2014 4:41 PM by Test Screen Name RSS

Combined PDF too Huge

EMinds

When I combine an 8-page word doc into one pdf it is 22mb! What's going wrong?

• 1. Re: Combined PDF too Huge
          Test Screen Name CommunityMVP

What are you combining it with? You've only mentioned an 8 page Word doc, what are the other parts?

• 2. Re: Combined PDF too Huge
            EMinds Community Member

Basically, I scanned an 8-page word docment that instead of creating one file, created 8 separate PDFs.  So that is what I needed to convert into one file.  And so I combined -- using acrobat.com -- those 8 separate PDFs into one doc and got a 22mb file! 

• 3. Re: Combined PDF too Huge

That's not the best way to do it. Don't scan a Word document, the result will be huge because it's just pictures. Convert the Word document directly.

You don't have Acrobat, I take it?

• 4. Re: Combined PDF too Huge
                EMinds Community Member

I have Acrobat.  Use the Cloud version.  I should've probably converted the total word doc to PDF, but I needed to print it, mark it and then rescan it and it was in Word, so I quickly printed it out. Marked it up and then scanned it where it turned into separate PDFs. 

• 5. Re: Combined PDF too Huge

That's a disaster, really. And because there is handwriting, you've even blocked OCR from working. You can make it in Acrobat and mark up in Acrobat.

Also... why did you scan to separate PDFs rather than one? Even that is likely to have made for a bigger file.

You can, however, use the PDF Optimizer if you have Acrobat Pro (File > Save As > Other). This might let you reduce quality in exchange for size, but keep your original as you experiment.

• 6. Re: Combined PDF too Huge
                    EMinds Community Member

I also had to sign the last page and send it back signed.  The individual scans was a mistake.  The original document was in Word, so I printed it out, made some marks and also signed the back page.  Then scanned that version and sent it back.  Could not find a fast and easy way to handwrite what needed to be in my writing and sign it.

• 7. Re: Combined PDF too Huge

You could at least make the other 7 pages direct from Word, then attach the last signed page. 

The file size comes directly from your scanner settings too - changing settings can change filesize a hundredfold easily.