21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2014 3:11 PM by JAL3

Disappearing Page Numbers

JAL3 Level 1

I am using CS5.5 on win 7 pro.

I set up a "page number" style. It has worked fine in the original document, the first of several "book" documents. The page number is placed on a master page. Pages with that master page work fine.

The second booked document also derives its master page from the master in the first document. Page numbers show up fine. (FWIW, this second doc is really the last in the book).

The third document is created and placed between the first and second. It too has a master page based upon the original. There is one difference, however. The bottom margin is set for .5" instead of .6667". That nessecitated my moving the page numbers down. That's where the strangeness begins.

When moved down, the disappear and their text boxes show an overflow sign. When I try to move edges of the text box, the page number and its rule finally appear towards the middle of the page. I resize the text box around the rule and number to get it the way I want it. I then select the text box and try to move it into place. As I move it, the text moves but the text within tries to stay in the same place, as if it is anchored there. This happens up to a certain point as I move the text box to the left. If I move it just a bit more to the left, right past where I really want it, the text reappears on the opposite side of the box all of the way off the page.

The justification is set for "away from spine". I don't understand why the text tries to move towards the spine until almost in the right place and then jumps all of the way off the page away from the spine.

Can anybody offer any guidance?

• 1. Re: Disappearing Page Numbers
          Javed_ali Adobe Employee

Is there any text wrap involved here. I mean are there any other objects on the page that have text wrap applied to them?

• 2. Re: Disappearing Page Numbers
            JAL3 Level 1

Great idea. The behavior seems much like text wrapping behavior.

I went and checked the document, though. There are no text frames on the page except for the page number frame. There are no other frames as far as I can tell either.

I'm stumped.

• 3. Re: Disappearing Page Numbers
              Migintosh Level 4

My guess is text wrap, but if you could post some screenshots, it might help. Have your frame edges showing, and hidden characters in the text as well.

• 5. Re: Disappearing Page Numbers
                JAL3 Level 1

the screen shot does not seem to be showing up after posting.

How do I rectify that?

• 6. Re: Disappearing Page Numbers
                  Migintosh Level 4

Click the camera icon and navigate to the screenshot.

ss.png

• 7. Re: Disappearing Page Numbers
                    JAL3 Level 1

here is the overflowed text box of the page numberid pg 1.png

• 8. Re: Disappearing Page Numbers
                      JAL3 Level 1

here is the text box after the box is expanded

id pg 2.png

• 9. Re: Disappearing Page Numbers
                        JAL3 Level 1

My pager is going off. I'm a hospital chaplain.

It may be a while before I get back.

• 10. Re: Disappearing Page Numbers
                          Migintosh Level 4

I think you have too much inset on your text frame.

• 11. Re: Disappearing Page Numbers
                            Migintosh Level 4

JAL3 wrote:

My pager is going off. I'm a hospital chaplain.

It may be a while before I get back.

Tolle quod tuum est.

• 12. Re: Disappearing Page Numbers
                              Javed_ali Adobe Employee

It could be either too much inset as mentioned by Migintosh or too much indent.

• 13. Re: Disappearing Page Numbers
                                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

My bet is that the page number is set to align with the baseline grid (I know this from experience -- one of my first early lessons on the risks of using align to baseline grid).

• 14. Re: Disappearing Page Numbers
                                  SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JAL3:

you say there are no other frames, but your second screen shot shows a Master Item frame is the exact position as your number frame in the first shot. It looks like that empty master item is causing the text wrap.

• 15. Re: Disappearing Page Numbers
                                    JAL3 Level 1

As to the "collect your pay and go..." I'm afraid that I work under the old Soviet system: I pretend to work; the hospital and church pretend to pay me.

• 16. Re: Disappearing Page Numbers
                                      JAL3 Level 1

I want to thank everyone for their input and the time they have spent on me.

I was gone for an extended period last night and had to go to Kerrville this morning. I do not have the computer with the files handy.

I have been given useful food for thought, particularly in the matter of the master page box showing through. I had set up for a local override and the box is appearing right where the original page numbers did so I am not sure why I now have both sets. I will investigate this lead and the others upon my return home.

THanks again to all who endeavored to help. It is most appreciated.

• 17. Re: Disappearing Page Numbers
                                        Migintosh Level 4

That bit of Latin was meant to say: "take your time." I guess that idiomatic expressions are hard for google to translate into a dead language.

• 18. Re: Disappearing Page Numbers
                                          JAL3 Level 1

It's been more than 30 years since I took Latin. I remembered it as from the parable of the day laborers. "Take your wages and go..." At least that was the contextual memory it dredged up.

Methodists don't use Latin too often!

• 19. Re: Disappearing Page Numbers
                                            JAL3 Level 1

I want to thank everyone again for their advice and guidance. The problem turned out to be with the phatom boxes on the master page from the original page numbers. I deleted them and everything is working now.

I am still at a loss as to what went wrong to begin with. I chose to allow editing of the master pager items (page numbers) and then drug them into the new positions. That's when they started to act up. I don't know why ghosts of themselves were left behind when I moved them.

New question:

This is probably idiotic but I cannot seem to find the answer. I accidently threaded two text boxes together on adjacent pages. I probably accidently clicked something but I don't reacall how this came about. Now, for the life of me, I cannot disconnect the flow between the two boxes. How does one go about doing that?

• 20. Re: Disappearing Page Numbers
                                              Migintosh Level 4

JAL3 wrote:

I am still at a loss as to what went wrong to begin with. I chose to allow editing of the master pager items (page numbers) and then drug them into the new positions.

Page numbers don't usually need to be changed on document pages. For what reason did you decide to do that? There might be a better way to fix the problem that moving the page numbers on the document pages was meant to solve.

JAL3 wrote:

I probably accidently clicked something but I don't reacall how this came about.

It's pretty easy to do by accident. Each text frame has an out port located between the center and lower handles on the right side of the frame. Normally you would click the out port (a the cursor changes to a loaded cursor) to extend overset text into either an empty frame (by clicking somewhere in the empty frame) or a new frame (by either clicking somewhere that isn't an existing frame and either dragging to define the size of the new frame, or not dragging, where InDesign will expand the frame to fit the margins of your page), but if you click into a frame that already has text, it will combine the story of the "from" box with the story of the "to" box.

There is a script in Window>Utilities>Scripts called Split Story. Just select the two frames and double-click on the script.

In case you want to know, here's what's going on in the background. If you duplicate a frame that is part of a chain, the duplicate will only contain the amount of text that was visible in that frame (which also includes any overset text that wasn't visible if it was the last frame in the chain and had overset text). So, to break the chain between two boxes, duplicate the second, and it will only have the text you could see. Then, delete the original and the first box will go into overset. If the last word of the first box isn't hyphenated, click after the last character, hold Shift and Command and hit the End button on your keyboard. That will select all of the overset text, and then just delete it.

• 21. Re: Disappearing Page Numbers
                                                JAL3 Level 1

Thanks!

I appreciate the help from everyone