3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2014 11:30 AM by Peru Bob

Dilemma

jaeill

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I had a quick question.  I am trying to buy a new computer for my video editing needs.  My budget is about $700 and my friend is selling his Asus G53 laptop ( http://www.amazon.com/G53SW-XA1-Republic-Gamers-15-6-Inch-Gaming/dp/B004X5XL3Q ) for a lil under that.  My question is....is this laptop enough for me to do video editing for simple music videos using my canon t5i or should i use that money to buy a desktop instead?  Thanks any help would be appreciated. 

• 1. Re: Dilemma
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

You can generally get a better desktop for $700 than you can a laptop.

However, the PC that you can buy for $700 is not going to edit video very well. The processor will be slow, it will only have one hard drive and you need more than one to edit video easily, and it probably won't have enough RAM.

On the other hand, if you have plenty of time to wait around for the processor, you can edit generally video with slow, underpowered computers. You just won't be happy about it and will probably blame the software. But it isn't the software.

• 2. Re: Dilemma
            Jim_Simon Level 8

[Moved to Hardware forum.]

• 3. Re: Dilemma
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might be able to use Premiere Elements on it, but certainly not Pro.