4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2014 12:25 AM by Silkrooster

Photoshop CS6 Magic Wand

Mickyです Level 1

Hi,

When I select the area with magic wand tool and refilled, the edge of the selection is way rougher than before.

This is before refilled.

Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 3.19.35 PM.png

This is after refilled.

Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 3.20.17 PM.png

How can I fix this?

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS6 Magic Wand
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Could you show your entire screen with the layers panel open? Also capture your image size dialog box. (Image>Image Size...)

I want to find out why your image is that pixelated. I assume it is a low resolution issue, but I hate assuming.

This image is a good example to show what alising is. The edge your having an issue with is called alising. The black line which looks a bit blurred is called anti-alising. some commands have a check box for antialising and this image shows what that does.

Anyway, back to your issue, I will wait until I see more.

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS6 Magic Wand
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Yes. Like Bruce says.

Magic wand is prone to all sorts issues if used in this way.  Refine edge will each smoothly into the AA, but I wouldn't dream of filling the spaces created with the MW.  Much better to use a new layer underneath, and fill that, using a selection to constrain the outline if required.

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS6 Magic Wand
              Mickyです Level 1

This is whole screen shot.

Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 4.49.30 PM.png

and this is the image size.

Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 4.49.57 PM.png

I'm quite interested in the story about alising.

Could you tell me what and how I improve this?

• 4. Re: Photoshop CS6 Magic Wand
                Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

OK, your pixel dimentions is high enough. For the two circles, I recommend that you use shapes instead of pixels when creating them. This will produce a better quality circle. It will also make it much easier to change its color.

When you create a selection it tends to be a hard edge. In the selection menu you will find a feather command. You can also use refine edge which will be a more visual approach. The feather will blend the edges.