7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2014 8:34 AM by A.T. Romano

Does anyone know how I can get Elements 12 to accept my Panasonic hd video camera please?

theoldabbattoir

Elements 12 does not recognise my video camera Panasonic HDC-SD800

• 1. Re: Does anyone know how I can get Elements 12 to accept my Panasonic hd video camera please?
          nealeh Level 5
          • The Photoshop Elements 12 Editor cannot work with video.
          • Are you trying to use this camera with Premiere Elements, the video editing program, or just trying to import it's videos into the Organizer? If the former a moderator will be able move this post to the Premiere Elements forum.
          • How are you connecting the camera to your PC or Mac (which)?
          • Does your PC or Mac recognise the camera?
          • Are you able to copy the video from the camera to your PC or Mac and then Import the footage into the PSE Organizer, or the PRE Editor?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 2. Re: Does anyone know how I can get Elements 12 to accept my Panasonic hd video camera please?
            theoldabbattoir Level 1

Sorry it was my fault I should have made sure I specified Premier Elements 12 not Photoshop

I am connecting to a mac

The mac does not recognise the camera.

Thanks

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Does anyone know how I can get Elements 12 to accept my Panasonic hd video camera please?
              nealeh Level 5

If the Mac itself is not recognising the camera when you plug it in then I think you are looking at hardware problems. Simple things to try are:

• Try plugging it in to another port
              • Try a different cable.
              • Take it to another Mac, or an Apple store, and see if it is recognised on those machines.

A moderator should move this post for you to the PRE forum, you won't need to do anything all the posts comments and links you have will redirect automatically.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Does anyone know how I can get Elements 12 to accept my Panasonic hd video camera please?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

theoldabbattoir

Let us start anew.

Getting the Project Set Up Optimally for your Premiere Elements 12 Mac project.....

Project Preset...

Your Panasonic HDC-SD800 appears to be recording with AVCHD video compression and appears to have a file extension of .mp4. Is that correct so far?

Next, you can be recording, either

1080p60

or

1080 (60i)

When you record 1080 (60i), that 60i refers to 60 fields per second which equates to 29.97/30 interlaced frames per second.

Why all those details? I want to assure that your Premiere Elements 12 Mac project settings are correct at the onset.

So, which of the two is the set for your camera, 1080p60 or 1080 (60i)?

Example if your camera is recording 1080p60

a. Open Premiere Elements 12 Mac to the Expert workspace

b. File Menu/New/Project

c. Change Settings Tab/Change Settings dialog...change project preset to

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

d. Before you leave that area, make sure that the last dialog that you see (new project dialog) has a

check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

Then back in the Expert workspace, Add Media/....

Example if your camera is recording 1080 (60i)

a. b. same as above

c. Change Settings Tab/Change Settings dialog...change project preset to

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

(if your file has 5.1 channel audio, that use instead NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD1080i30 5.1 Channel)

d. same as before

Then back in the Expert workspace, Add Media/

Now the question becomes, what is being selected for the Add Media choice...

a. have you saved your video to the computer hard drive and imported it from there into the project with the correct project preset, using Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets

or

b. have you selected something else like

Add Media/"Videos from Flip or Cameras"/Video Importer?

or

c. other

Whatever your choice, please establish the correct project preset manually first as described above.

It sounds like you were trying to transfer your videos from memory card inside camera to computer/Premiere Elements with a USB connection since you specifically say that Premiere Elements 12 does not recognize your camera. Is the camera set for that type of transfer beforehand? Have you tried transferring your videos recorded to the memory card to the computer and then importing them into a Premiere Elements 12 project with Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders.

Please review and consider, and then supply the details which will help us put this together to help you. In reviewing what I have written, please correct any incorrection assumption I might have made in interpreting the details that you have already supplied.

Thank you.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Does anyone know how I can get Elements 12 to accept my Panasonic hd video camera please?
                  theoldabbattoir Level 1

Thank very much for the information I understand now why it does not recognise the camera but it does recognise the SD card so I am transfering like that. I had a video editing package with the camera but it is impossible to use the format with anything else so I have not put it on my MAC that is why I wanted to know how to do it. Thank you again for your help.

• 7. Re: Does anyone know how I can get Elements 12 to accept my Panasonic hd video camera please?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

teoldabbattoir

Thanks for the follow up details.

Just some miscelleaneous notes...

a. I suggested the manual setting of the project preset to avoid the possibility that the program's automatic set was not incorrect (can be at times)

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

b. My camera uses a USB Mass Storage set for the transfer of videos/photos from memory card inside the camera to the computer. No added camera utilities involved.

c. Is there a utility that came with your camera so, that once installed, it would get Add Media/"Videos from Flip or Cameras"/Video Importer to work? Just a guess since I am a Windows Only user.

Best wishes

ATR