6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2014 5:50 PM by King Hebes

Is it impossible to set an edit point?

King Hebes Level 1

I just want to set an edit point to be able to snap back to (using page up) for selecting the exact frame to begin my sequence. This seems impossible, which would be strange as it's a very basic and highly necessary function. The best way I've discovered is to double click my video clip to open the view monitor and set the in and out point, but again after playing for a few seconds there is no option to snap back to the in point to readjust a few frames forward or backward if needed. These seem like very basic functions of any video editing system and I'm surprised I'm having trouble with this. I hope somebody here can provide me with a solution to this annoyance as I've been trying to find an easy way to approach this for over an hour now. Thanks for your time.

• 1. Re: Is it impossible to set an edit point?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What you're trying to do is definitely possible -- though it's not clear what exactly you're doing.

You can use the dynamic timecode to jump to an exact frame on your timelilne. You can also do frame-accurate editing so that you can trim or cut to an exact frame in your video.(You can even set up markers on the timeline so that you can snap to a specific point.)

I'm just not clear what you mean when you say you " just want to set an edit point to be able to snap back to (using page up) for selecting the exact frame to begin my sequence. "

Instead of describing how you want to do it, can you just explain what it is you're trying to do? There's certainly a way to do it in Premiere Elements.

• 2. Re: Is it impossible to set an edit point?
            King Hebes Level 1

I'm trying to set a point in a clip that I can easily jump back to. Like the function of the page up hot key, but instead of jumping to the last edit point I would like it to jump to a custom spot. I have many uses for this. One thing I'm trying to do is navigate to the exact frame so I can cut the clip where I want. In order for me to decide on the exact point to cut i need to play the clip a few times, adjusting a few frames forward or backwards as necessary. But without being able to set a custom point to jump back to after previewing my clip, it's very tedious.

• 3. Re: Is it impossible to set an edit point?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm still not sure what you're looking for. Maybe someone else can get it.

You should be able to set the playhead in the Clip Monitor to an exact frame and then use the open brackets ([) or close brackets (]) to set a precise in or out point.

Doesn't that do what you need?

• 4. Re: Is it impossible to set an edit point?
                nealeh Level 5

Set Timeline markers and use Ctrl+Left / Ctrl+Right to move back and forth between them. PgUp / PgDn by default moves from one clip to the next. If it has to be PgUp/PgDn you can remap the keys with Edit> Keyboard Customization.

1.png

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Is it impossible to set an edit point?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hebalijebaili

I was waiting for you and SD to conclude your discussion before entering your thread. Now that you apparently have, I would offer the

following.

In situation where version specific information would be the best, it is important that you include the Premiere Elements version that you are

working with and the computer operating system that you are running it on.

For now, I will assume Premiere Elements 11 or 12 Window 7, 8, or 8.1 bit and point you to my blog post on Timeline unnumbered markers which

include the added feature of allowing you to leave a Comment in the Timeline unnumbered marker.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-forget-me-not-clip-details-and.html

For what you described, I would think that Timeline unnumbered markers should be the first thing for you to explore. And, I bring to your addition the perk

of being able to leave Comments with the unnumbered marker.

Miscellaneous...

Another way to place Timeline unnumbered marker.....unnumbered markers can be placed on the Timeline at the position of the Timeline Indicator by pressing the * key of the computer's auxiliary keyboard if your computer has one.

Timeline unnumbered marker Next and Previous and be done by clicking on those comments at various places in the workspace as well as by the short cuts.

More later if necessary.

Please let us know if any of that worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Is it impossible to set an edit point?
                    King Hebes Level 1

Thanks nealeh! Timeline markers are a good approach to what I'm trying to do.