8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2014 12:27 PM by jct2012 RSS

Why is Encore CS6 Menu quality so poor/bad?

jct2012 Community Member

Hello All,

My client and I are frustrated on the image quality of the menu in Encore when creating a Standard Definition DVD.

The menu source is a .psd. Tried various resolutions and once the dvd is ceated the image is very pixellated and hard to read the text in the logos (see attachment). Also tried making a motion menu with that image by creating a timeline with it in P Pro. Same results.

I understand that this is SD and that the customer is playing back the 720 x 480 image on a high resolution monitor which doesn't help.

The videos portions of the DVD are OK (mpg2) and the graphics hold up a lot better in the video portions.

Would appreciate any advice on this issue as my client and I are very frustrated.

I will try and test this on another system today.

What do you think about a hardware/software (something other than Encore) solution to create a decent looking DVD?

Thanks in advance,

John

This is a full frame screen shot from the DVD.

screen shot menu.jpg

• 1. Re: Why is Encore CS6 Menu quality so poor/bad?
          Stan Jones CommunityMVP

"Please select a division icon" - in the psd/menu are these buttons or background image?

What is the pixel size and par of the original psd that you are using for the menu?

The screenshot you have posted is 1920x1200. When I try to see what it might really look like at its 720x480 DVD size (change par or DV widescreen, downrez) it does look too bad, considering that there is a lot of small detail.

At what stage are you downrezzing? Often users leave this to Encore, a very poor option.

• 2. Re: Why is Encore CS6 Menu quality so poor/bad?
            jct2012 Community Member

Stan,

The 12 icons are layers in the .psd and will become buttons.

Just created and tested a new .psd per encore sd widescreen specs: 720x480, 1.2 PAR (still looks fuzzy).

The screenshot was from my working monitor which I think is part of the problem - viewing 720x480 image on a hires monitor.

Downrezzing? Are there resolution settings for menus in Encore?

Thanks for the reply,

John

• 3. Re: Why is Encore CS6 Menu quality so poor/bad?
              Stan Jones CommunityMVP

When you bring a higher than DVD resolution image into Encore, Encore downrezzes it to the project setting when you render the menu and/or build the project.

You can only avoid that if you make the background image the correct size. You can only avoid Encore rendering if you don't add any other elements other than highlights (the layers in photoshop with =1, =2 etc.).

If any of the images are part of a highlight layer, you get big problems; I don't think that is an issue for you.

Logos have often been scaled in various ways; I wonder if that could be having an effect.

But, I did not think the image looked that bad once it had it set to the DVD pixel size and was viewing it at the size.

You certainly do not get an accurate test viewing as your client was on a large computer monitor.

Create a test disk and view on an HD TV with an upscaling player. For me that is the modern, practical test.

The other test you might do is to take the logos out of the equation by making a menu with several fonts/sizes to simulate the text issue in the menu. DVD and small text are just not a winning combination. The logos may be scaled too small for so many on one screen.

• 4. Re: Why is Encore CS6 Menu quality so poor/bad?
                jct2012 Community Member

Stan,

Update:

The customer increased the size of the logos in the menu. I showed them the result on on a regular TV/DVD player as well as a computer monitor with the player frame reduced to close to native size. We did high quality widescreen progressive scan for the videos and they look pretty good.

Success! until they called back and asked about naming titles and chapters so that they show up in Windows Media Player. Currently the disc reads in WMP as "Untitled 1" (The project disc was named in Encore in the project window but this does not show up in WMP, Indidvidual programs within the DVD read as "Title 1" and so on (12 total videos on the disc.)

Sooooo is there a way to name the titles and chapters in Encore so that they will display in Windows Media Player?

Thanks in advance once again,

John

• 5. Re: Why is Encore CS6 Menu quality so poor/bad?
                  Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Glad to hear of the improvement.

is there a way to name the titles and chapters in Encore so that they will display in Windows Media Player?

This has been discussed before, and I do not recall anyone finding the solution.

But from what I know, I suspect this response from Joe Bowden in 2006 is probably right on target:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1803433#1803433

As I understand it, this information comes from a database to which Windows Media Player connects when the disc is opened in WMP, which is why you see it so often on commercial DVDs.

It is possible to add this info to your disc in WMP and then upload it, but I don't know if it would work with multiple burned copies of the disc. I'm guessing it possibly would work if you registered a replicated (mastered to DLT, then replicated at a replication facility, not burned) version of the disc.

• 6. Re: Why is Encore CS6 Menu quality so poor/bad?
                    jct2012 Community Member

It is possible to add this info to your disc in WMP and then upload it, but I don't know if it would work with multiple burned copies of the disc. I'm guessing it possibly would work if you registered a replicated (mastered to DLT, then replicated at a replication facility, not burned) version of the disc.

Stan,

The customer will make duplicates from my Encore produced master. What should he ask for at the dupe house to try and show title/chapter info in WMP?

Don't know where to start in WMP as far as uploading database info. Help please.

How to go about registering a disc? Help please.

I did observe that when playing back a CD with .mp4 files the disc title showed up in the upper left hand corner while the mouse was on the display. That is what we would like to see but in DVD mode.

Thanks again, John

• 7. Re: Why is Encore CS6 Menu quality so poor/bad?
                      Stan Jones CommunityMVP

He's talking about an online registry like regular commercial disks get.

http://www.usisrc.org/about/obtaining_code.html

And for those to work, the metadata must be uploaded to a site where wmp will know to look for it when it sees the disk isrc.

As he says, this only works for replicated (pressed) disks, which all have the same disk number. Duplicated (burned) disks each have a different number so it will not work for them.

I know very little about this, and do NOT assume that nothing has changed with newer versions of wmp. But it may not have.

• 8. Re: Why is Encore CS6 Menu quality so poor/bad?
                        jct2012 Community Member

Thanks for the reply Stan!