6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2014 8:30 AM by A.T. Romano

importing from my  Panasonic SDR-S7 camera

Johansson&Co

I have problems importing from my  Panasonic SDR-S7 camera.

I have imported   files to the computer but gets wrong  picture size  when importing to Premiere Elements12.  

File names are .MOD   ( and .MOI) .  

It seems to be same files as MPEG but differs in two figures    : size  704x576  and pixel 1,0909.   Anyone who can help me???

• 1. Re: importing from my  Panasonic SDR-S7 camera
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements doesn't support a video size of 704x576 -- so I'm not sure how successful you'll be using video from this camcorder in this program. (Although the specs I've seen online show this cam shooting at 640x480.)

It sounds like you may have just manually copied the video from the camcorder's SD card to your computer.

What happens if, instead, you attach the camcorder to your computer via USB and then use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Flip or Camera to get the video from the camcorder? This may be a better way to ensure proper interfacing between this camcorder and the program.

• 2. Re: importing from my  Panasonic SDR-S7 camera
            Johansson&Co Level 1

Thanks for your help!!!

2014-03-26 13:25 GMT+01:00 Steve Grisetti <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Re: importing from my Panasonic SDR-S7 camera  created by Steve

Grisetti <http://forums.adobe.com/people/Steve+Grisetti> in *Premiere

Elements* - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/6243175#6243175

• 3. Re: importing from my  Panasonic SDR-S7 camera
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Johansson&Co

Please conclude your discussion with SG before proceeding with the following if your problem remains unresolved.

I am posting because I do not believe that the core of the problem has been addressed.

Please review and consider my take on what I believe your Premiere Elements issue to be. If I am correct, fix described

below should resolve your situation. If I am wrong, then please file this post away for this case.

Your camera Panasonic SDR-S7 records MPEG2 with a .mod file extension. Apparently it allows you to set for .mod standard 4:3 or 16:9 ( supposedly with a 16:9 flag to stretch the video for display after encoding). The .mod widescreen has long been a problem for Premiere Elements and getting the wanted 16:9 aspect ratio look. It is a debate

a. Premiere Elements cannot recognize the 16:9 flag

or

b. The 16:9 flag was not there in the first place.

Are you setting your Panasonic to record MPEG2.mod widescreen?

If so, please read on.

So, if your camera recorded MPEG2.mod widescreen, then

a. Open to new Premiere Elements 12 project/Expert workspace

b. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

c. In the Change Settings dialog, change the project preset to PAL DV Widescreen.

d. Before leaving that area, in the new project dialog, make sure that you have a check mark

next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

e. When you are back in the Expert workspace, then Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets to

import your MPEG2.mod widescreen. Do not drag the file to the Timeline yet.

f. Right click the file's thumbnail in Project Assets, select Interpret Footage.

g. In the Interpret Footage Pixel Aspect Ratio section, dot the Conform to: and change that field

to "D1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 (1.4587). Click OK.

h. Drag you file from Project Assets to the Timeline.

i. When back in the Expert workspace, if any traces of black borders remain in the Edit area

monitor, click on the screen, and use the handles of the image's bounding box to scale out the black traces.

We will be watching for results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: importing from my  Panasonic SDR-S7 camera
                Johansson&Co Level 1

This helps , very good!!! Thanks!

2014-03-26 19:37 GMT+01:00 A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Re: importing from my Panasonic SDR-S7 camera

created by A.T. Romano <http://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano> in *Premiere

Elements* - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/6244513#6244513

• 5. Re: importing from my  Panasonic SDR-S7 camera
                  Johansson&Co Level 1

I could not get this method working , but I got more information from AT

Romano and that helped!

Thank you so very much for your help!!

Johansson&Co

2014-03-26 18:50 GMT+01:00 Paul Johansson <paulivarshere@gmail.com>:

Thanks for your help!!!

>

2014-03-26 13:25 GMT+01:00 Steve Grisetti <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Re: importing from my Panasonic SDR-S7 camera  created by Steve

>> Grisetti <http://forums.adobe.com/people/Steve+Grisetti> in *Premiere

>> Elements* - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/6243175#6243175>

• 6. Re: importing from my  Panasonic SDR-S7 camera
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Johansson&Co

Thanks for the information that addressing the .mod widescreen worked for you.

"Mod widescreen and Premiere Elements + other programs" has long been a topic of discussion

and debate regarding that 16:9 flag that appears not to be recognized by the program or that

never existed beforehand.

Some .mod solutions include changing the file extension from .mod to .mpg as well as what I have

decribed previously in your thread, namely, Premiere Elements Interpret Footage.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR