4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2014 11:24 AM by Mylenium

Photoshop CS6 and encryption

taztoon

I have a PKI solution that is running with the company that I work for (authentiation purposes only) and I had to have that certificate revoked and a new one generated due to the token breaking that the certificate sat. After I had that done I can no longer open any of the files I created under that certificate, I can only open new files that I created using the new certificate that was generated for me.  Couple of questions.1) is there any way I can open the old files?  There is no way to generate the old key pair. 2) if photoshop is using my company cert to encrypt my photoshop files, how do I get it to stop?  We have to get a new key once a year and I can't afford to lose my files when that happens 3) is there something I can turn off or get rid of on photoshop so that it will not continue to encrypt my files?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS6 and encryption
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

PS doesn't encrypt any files. That is exclusively up to your file system. Your question has nothing to do with PS whatsoever. You need to contact the company handling the certificates and have them decrypt the files with their private master key or unlock them on site for you. The rest is between you and your IT department.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS6 and encryption
            taztoon Level 1

Understood but if I have a self signed digital cert and I have to revoke that cert and acquire a new one why would I then not be allowed to open up old files after my new cert has been granted.  And if I read the adobe site correct, if I use a self signed digital cert, I lose everything for ever.  Meaning I can't get the private key master.  I just can't believe that the file system (windows) does encryption unless I specifically ask.  Thanks though for the comeback.  It's making me think

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS6 and encryption
              taztoon Level 1

OK. A little more info.  The error that is received is " You Don't have permissions to open this file",  I believe that it must have used the cert to sign the saved file.  Is there a way to tell Adobe not to check for that signature?  In reader there is an option under Edit/preferences/signatures to uncheck the box that tells adobe to check signatures.  I'm grasping at straws now

• 4. Re: Photoshop CS6 and encryption
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Again, this has nothing to do with Adobe. All such alerts come from your operating system and its file I/O functions, which is all Adobe uses. There is no custom code for this in Adobe apps to ensure a maximum level of compatibility and adhere to the "best practices" defined by Microsoft and Apple. It could be possible to just fix your permissions, ore more specifically your file ownership and erase the outdated security token/ hash values, but if you don't change your procedures, you'll have the same problem next year. Sorry to say so, but this seems to be handled wrong on so many levels. Someone really needs to sit down with your IT. Also even self-signed certificates have a master key somewhere, be it just one generated upon the initial install of the security software by the admin wiggling around the mouse to produce a random seed for the actual AES or whatever key or else nobody in your company could work on files from other users. Even if everyone can request fresh keys at the click of a button that key has to come from somewhere. All log-in tokens are then synched to that master key. Someone in your company has to know how that is handled. Seriously. You are looking for help on the wrong end and this topic is too sensitive and complex to handle on a forum.

Mylenium