• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH for Word8, Windows 7, Word 2007. Why can't I browse from RH to an HTM or HTML doc? Word Crashes

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2014 Mar 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, why are we using RH Word...Non-issue as I can't change at this time. 

Here is my problem.  I can not browse from RH to a HTM document.  It's not that I can't put a link in the project, I can but I have to do it manually.  I can link if I do the entire path manually, like find an old link and manipilate it.  I think either I'm missing a file in either RH or Word...or some security setting is preventing me from browsing to the final location.  I am fine until I get there and then once I click for the link to attach Word shuts down and stops working. 

I absolutely have no issues with this on XP and 2003.  Everything else works fine with 2007 Word and Windows 7..just the browsing issue.  The funny thing is that at one point my partner states the browse was working at one time..then they upgraded her Word to 2010...which did not play nice with RH and then they uninstalled 2010 and reinstalled 2007....but the browse won't work now.

Like I said thinking missing file issue, security issue, or maybe some 2010 stuff has been left behind that is causing the problem.

Also can't stay on XP and 2003 word as XP is being retired and they won't let me keep 2003 Word when I upgade to Window 7.

Anyhelp, ideas, thoughts, fixes would be appreciated

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If I were in your shoes I think what I'd do is copy one of the existing links. Then when I wanted a link, I'd copy and paste the one you are able to.

Then use Word to browse to the one you want, but stop short of trying to actually establish the link. Instead, copy the HTM file name. Then edit the link and ensure the new file name is reflected.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank.  That does work, but I have large numbers of links to do each month...have to try to get the browse to work.  Any thought on why the browse in Word locks up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but no. Although I cut my help development teeth on WinHelp and RoboHelp for Word, I haven't used RoboHelp for Word since the last century. Wish I could help.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2014 Mar 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When they upgrade you, RoboHelp will have to be reinstalled and that may fix the problem. You are creating the link using the Rh menu rather Word's menus?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2014 Mar 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using the RH menu.  A hyperlink going thru Word will not work with Robohelp for Word.  I'm getting a whole new computer so we will uninstall on my old computer and reinstall on the new computer.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp