4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2014 9:52 AM by Rick Gerard

Delivering anamorphic (2.39:1) from video 16:9 (1.78) format?

elboertjie Level 1

When I wish to deliver the look of the anamorphic format, but have source video shot in the 16:9 (1.78) format, what is the best method to convert it?

So far, I have read that one can imply add the letterbox bars on the top and the bottom to simulate the visual part to be in the 2.39:1 format.  I now realise, that even though visually it is the 2.39:1 format, the actual footage is still the original 1.78 format, just with black at the top and the bottom of the frame.

If that is okay, should one then notify film festivals and other alike that the footage is in the 1.78 format for them to project it correctly.  On the other hand, should one render only the visual part of 2.39 and then also notify them that the format is 2.39?

Interested in your opinions.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Delivering anamorphic (2.39:1) from video 16:9 (1.78) format?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How you deliver it will depend on the places to which you are delivering. Most places are set up to project 16:9, so a letterboxed project is the simplest way to deliver. Often, if you deliver something other than 16:9, it will be stretched. However, if they specify that they can accept something in a different aspect ratio, you can deliver a render in that aspect ratio.

• 2. Re: Delivering anamorphic (2.39:1) from video 16:9 (1.78) format?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Most often you will either deliver a 1920 X 1080 standard source file or you will render to a specific codec using specific settings that are called for in a set of delivery specifications. Make up your own delivery specifications or use someone elses and you are going to be in just guessing. Standard HD is always safe. On occasion you can deliver 4K, but here again, you have to ask the folks that will be projecting the image about the format and follow their recommendations exactly.

The most important part of the production process is making sure that you do not distort the original footage. If it was shot full HD in square pixels then masking is the way to achieve your Cinemascope look. If it was shot using a camera that uses a non-square pixel format (DVCPro HD for example) then you would still work with a square pixel comp but, and this is the important part, you would let AE automatically fit your non square pixel footage in a square pixel comp. Manually changing the pixel aspect ratio of the source footage will foul things up and distort the image.

So, before we can give you a specific production workflow that should be followed we need to know exactly what kind of footage you are using in your project and exactly what kind of system will projecting the final image.

• 3. Re: Delivering anamorphic (2.39:1) from video 16:9 (1.78) format?
              elboertjie Level 1

I am shooting a short film for myself in 1920 x 1080 (Nikon D800) and once it is finished, send it to various film festivals for them to screen and to get exposure to the film.

I wish the resulting rendered film to be in a format that is the most useable without the need to adjust it any further.  Of course, if a big opportunity presents itself, I can re-render the film in a specific format.

This will be my first film, so I wish to do as much as possible with best practice in mind and appreciate all the insights you are giving, no matter how trivial they might be to you.  I am open for any tips and wisdom.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Delivering anamorphic (2.39:1) from video 16:9 (1.78) format?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just work everything in standard 1080 square pixel comps. Set up a masked layer to achieve your widescreen and lay that over the final output. Keep it simple. All film festivals will accept standard 1080 video.