7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2014 1:20 PM by Mike M

Is it still possible to buy Photoshop CS3 Extended?

Lotus1922

I first learned Photoshop on this version as a student back in 2008 and after seeing newer versions I still prefer this older one. Does Adobe still sell CS3? There are copies on Amazon for ~ $2,000 which 1) is crazy for an outdated program and 2) I want to make sure I have a legitimate copy.

• 1. Re: Is it still possible to buy Photoshop CS3 Extended?
          Mike M Level 6

Adobe doesn't sell anything earlier than CS6 now. As a rule they have the current version and the one before it.

I agree that price is outrageous. You'd do far better to get CS6 or CC for a lot less and have a legit copy.

Unless there's a particular reason you need CS3 (like, say... you're running Windows XP SP1 on a 32 bit Pentium III 750mHz with 512mb RAM) there's really no reason to use software that old. CS4,5 & 6 all work just as well, and have features that, once you learn them, are nicer.

• 2. Re: Is it still possible to buy Photoshop CS3 Extended?
            Lotus1922 Level 1

Do the post-CS6 versions still *look* like CS6? Because that layout and workspace drove me absolutely nuts. I could never find anything and the tools seemed so vague.

• 3. Re: Is it still possible to buy Photoshop CS3 Extended?
              Mike M Level 6

Lotus1922 wrote:

Do the post-CS6 versions still *look* like CS6? Because that layout and workspace drove me absolutely nuts. I could never find anything and the tools seemed so vague.

I'm totally confoozled

There's only one "post CS6" version - CC.

But as far as layouts go...

Here's CS3 on my XP machine:

cs3.jpg

CS6 on my Win 8 machine:

cs6.jpg

SAME layout, but for a few minor details.

• 4. Re: Is it still possible to buy Photoshop CS3 Extended?
                Lotus1922 Level 1

Well now *I'm* confuzzled.

Whatever I last used in the campus lab ~ 5 years ago, alleged to be CS6--- well I remember it being a lot more "illiterate" than that! Nothing had labels, the controls were so vague and every little thing was so deeply hidden in menus that it was a nightmare to navigate, let alone get an efficient workflow going. Maybe they had some other weird workspace template set on it, but it made me run away screaming from it.

Thanks for that input, I'm definitely leaning towards giving it another shot if CS3 is finally dead. Time to start saving my bottlecaps  :-D

• 5. Re: Is it still possible to buy Photoshop CS3 Extended?
                  Mike M Level 6

Lotus1922 wrote:

Well now *I'm* confuzzled.

Whatever I last used in the campus lab ~ 5 years ago, alleged to be CS6--- well I remember it being a lot more "illiterate" than that!

Adobe Creative Suite 6 (CS6), was launched at a release event April 23, 2012, and released on May 7, 2012... so it's impossible that you were using it in 2009. CS4 was current then, but given my experience with schools and the software they use, it was probably a "pre-creative suite" version that the school had. I've used PS since version 5 (I got it in 2002), and it has only gotten better with each release, up till CC. I'll be sticking with CS6 for a while, until I see more positives than negatives on the whole creative cloud program.

• 6. Re: Is it still possible to buy Photoshop CS3 Extended?
                    Lotus1922 Level 1

That makes sense. I have been out of the loop for a long time so now I see why my perceptions were not jiving with reality, lol. It's too bad though that they don't make these older versions available  for the hobbyists/ personal users who either don't need or prefer not to have the cutting edge versions of the old tools. Or maybe some kind of "Photoshop Lite" alternative where you can pick and choose the tools/ features you use the most instead of buying the full-fledged program and never utilizing all of it.

• 7. Re: Is it still possible to buy Photoshop CS3 Extended?
                      Mike M Level 6

Or maybe some kind of "Photoshop Lite" alternative

It's called Photoshop Elements

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Scaled down and cheaper than FULL Photoshop