3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2014 2:27 PM by Peter Spier

how to impose 4  8.5 x 5.5 page on 11 x 17" paper?

Jane Smith 2300 Level 1

I have made a book that is about 125 pages. Doc size is 8.5" x 5.5".

I'd like to print this on 11 x 17" paper.

How can I get 4 pages to display correctly on the larger paper size?

(Win 7, Indesign CC)

• 1. Re: how to impose 4  8.5 x 5.5 page on 11 x 17" paper?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

File > Print Booklet...

But how do you plan to bind it? Aside from the requirement that you have apage count divisible by 4 for stitching (perhaps by 8 if you really mean to put 4 pages on each side of an 11 x 17 sheet, this is going to be in excess of 30 sheets thick, and that's a lot for saddle stitching.

If you are sending it out to a commercial printer you don't want to do the imposition for them. It's their job and you don't help by trying to do it.

• 2. Re: how to impose 4  8.5 x 5.5 page on 11 x 17" paper?
            Jane Smith 2300 Level 1

Binding will either be spiral bound, or perfect binding--actually, I'm not to up on that, but just for the sake of information at the least, how do I accomplish what I wanted. 4 pages on each side of a 11x17? In addition, I need page 1 on one page and page 2 on the back side, etc.

So far I figured out how to get 4 8.5x5.5 in pages on an 11x17 inch page using Acrobat Pro.

But I can't get the pages to match up: 1, 3, 5, 7 on one side, and 4, 2, 8, 6 on the back side.

Would you know how to do that?

• 3. Re: how to impose 4  8.5 x 5.5 page on 11 x 17" paper?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

As I said, in ID  the simple way is to use File > Print Booklet... and choose the binding style, but it doesn't sound like you are printing this yourself, SO DON'T DO IT.

Imposing is the printer's job, and only he can know exactly how he intends to set up for output to fit his equipment.