15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2015 7:21 AM by A.T. Romano

Version 12 rendering doesn't hold between reloads.

dennisbthomas Level 1

Hi,

I have version 12 using w8.1 with a project of DV NTSC 720x480.

When I render a portion or the entire timeline, the orange indicator changes to green.

But when I save the project and reload Premiere Elements 12, the entire indicator is orange again.

Any ideas or need more info?

Thanks

Dennis

• 1. Re: Version 12 rendering doesn't hold between reloads.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you ensured that you have the latest version of Quicktime?

• 2. Re: Version 12 rendering doesn't hold between reloads.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Dennis

That is nothing new for Premiere Elements (any version), in a variety of computer operating systems.

In this type of situation, you will find that the preview files that were generated previously are still alive and well

at their hard drive save location. Presumedly, the link between them and the project has been

disturbed.

If this is that type thing and it sounds like it is, then move on. Either render again in the opened project with the unrendered look

or, if you are not going to edit those files further, move on knowing that you had your best possible previews before and they were OK then.

If you decide to render, you can do a selective render of just a portion of the Timeline involved, using the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar.

More information on this can be given if wanted.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Version 12 rendering doesn't hold between reloads.
              dennisbthomas Level 1

Thanks Steve for the quick reply.

Yes the latest Quicktime is installed but same problem.

Thanks

Dennis

• 4. Re: Version 12 rendering doesn't hold between reloads.
                dennisbthomas Level 1

Hi ATR,

THanks for the quick reply.

I did the following with no change.

1. Deleted all cache files

2. Changed the scratch disk to point to the same and a new folder..

This is not a show stopper unless it causes problems later in the process.

If you have any more things to try I'm ready.

Thanks

Dennis

• 5. Re: Version 12 rendering doesn't hold between reloads.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Dennis

This particular problem drove the Premiere Elements 7 and 8 people wild. The problem has not surfaced as frequently with later versions but does happen. No fixes have been found. I have written reams about this in the past.

If you have not already, you could try a new project with different source media and determine if you get different results.

As a reference point,

a. SD project preview file from rendering the Timeline is DV AVI; HD project preview file is MPEG2.mpeg with a companion .xml file. You get these video preview files whether you have rendered a still or video on your project's Timeline.

As I said, when you run into this issue when you open a saved/closed project (previously "rendered"), the rendered files (preview files) from the original render are alive and well in the hard drive save location. They are not damaged nor corrupt.

We will be watching for further developments in the morning.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

Add On...I do not like to take anything for granted and mask a non related issue under the "render issue", but, from the syndrome in discussion, I think we are in the "rendered" issue that I have described.

• 6. Re: Version 12 rendering doesn't hold between reloads.
                    dennisbthomas Level 1

HI ATR,

I tried three different methods

1. created a new AVCHD project using a HDV 1080i mode. There were no bars at the top, so everything seems ok.

2. created a new DV project using a DV NTSC mode. This was the same as the one that caused problems but with a different DV/AVI file. No bars so seems to work ok.

3. created a new DV2 project  using a DV NTSC mode. This project used the same DV/AVI file that had the problems, with the following:

a. I did a rendering of the last 2 minutes of the file and then saved the project. Upon opening the project the green bar was at the top for the rendered area.

b. But first 80% of the timeline didn't have any bars, But the last 20% had an organge bar.

Not sure is helps but unless some one has a suggestion, I'm going to finish the orginal project, with the rendering problem, and then when I create other projects I will take a closer look at the rendering bar before I start editing.

Thanks for your help!

Dennis

• 7. Re: Version 12 rendering doesn't hold between reloads.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Dennis,

Thanks for the update with the additional testing news.

With the DV AVI file that appeared to be associated with rendered/saved/closed and re-opened to find an unrendered look...where is that file coming from? Could it be from DV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements or another video editor? If another video editor, any chance you are trying to work with DV AVI Type 1?

If DV AVI Type 1 vs 2 is not involved, I think I would move on in the workflow as you have suggested.

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Version 12 rendering doesn't hold between reloads.
                        dennisbthomas Level 1

Hi ATR

I just checked the this is what I found:

1. All avi files were captured using PRE12 and resulted in a type 2 file.

2. The captured file was split by timecode using dvdate.

3. The split files were then Smart fix. This is the file that was edited.

4. All files, using dvdate, were type2.

I'll continue with the project and be more careful with the next one.

Thanks for all of your help and interest.

Dennis

• 9. Re: Version 12 rendering doesn't hold between reloads.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dennis

Thanks for the update. It was good to know that DV AVI Type 1 was not involved in your workflow.

I suspect that what you ran into was the known issue of getting what appears to be an unrendered Timeline (based on the color line indicator system) for a reopened project that had been saved closed with a rendered Timeline content.

It will be interesting to learn whether this issue is with you moving forward from project to project or whether it presents in a sporadic manner from project to project to project.

Please update on your progress when you get a chance.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Version 12 rendering doesn't hold between reloads.
                            gordoni47 Level 1

I'm having the same issue:

After saving and closing a project, some rendered effects are there when re-opened, but some are not. I keep having to re-render some of the work area every time. It annoying and time-consuming.

I checked to make sure the rendered files are stored in the correct folders, etc. Any ideas?

Using PC, win 7 64-bit, Premiere Elements 13.

Thanks,

GORDON

• 11. Re: Version 12 rendering doesn't hold between reloads.
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

gordoni47

This is an old story that goes back to the days when Premiere Elements 7 and 8 were released. It continues to the present.

It is a known situation where the user creates a project, renders the Timeline, saves closes reopens the project to find a "unrendered looking Timeline content".

The key speaking points on all this

a. the preview files generated during the Timeline rendering process are alive and well in their save in location in the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder when the project is reopened

b. there are certain formats which are unaffected in this situation and are found rendered before and after the project save close reopen. Example, psd will have the unrendered look at render/save close reopen project while jpg  will have the rendered look at the render save close open project.

My thinking on what is is you have seen the best possible preview of the content before save close reopen so, unless you need to edit that content again, do not bother with the "unrendering/rendered look". If you need to do rendering again for this content in the reopened project, then you can do selective rendering, not rendering of the whole Timeline content. To do that, you set the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar to span just the content to be rendered and hit the Render button.

WorkAreaBar.JPG

In the above screenshot, the whole Timeline has been rendered. You can set the gray tabs with the mouse cursor or with shortcuts.

If shortcuts...

Move the Timeline Indicator to the start of the segment to be rendered (orange line over its content), and, as you hold down the computer Alt key, hit the left bracket key [

Move the Timeline Indicator to the end of the segment to be rendered (orange line over its content), and, as you hold down the computer Alt key, hit the right bracket key ]

Any clarification needed, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Version 12 rendering doesn't hold between reloads.
                                gordoni47 Level 1

Thanks... good to know it's no me or my machine.  I was under the impression it only renders the new/changed portions (orange) anyway... but I'll try this. If I don't render, I get very jerky moves, etc. but after everything's smooth (I'm doing some fairly complex stuff with lots of tracks).

Thanks.

G

• 13. Re: Version 12 rendering doesn't hold between reloads.
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

G

Thanks for the reply.

The intent of the Timeline rendering is to get the best possible preview of what is playing back in the Edit area monitor. It is your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later. It does not fix anything, just a guideline for what you have. It is particularly useful guideline for effects, transitions, titles, and non native formats. When in doubt about what you have, then I would suggest Timeline render the content with the orange line over it. Timeline content with an orange line over and it looking good that way is no guarantee of that you are seeing the best possible what will be. The Timeline content (rendered) with green line is the indicator of best possible previewing and end product result.

Just manage the content of the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files folder. Every time you render a Timeline file, the project automatically generates preview file which it stores in the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files folder. For a SD project (for still or video) the preview file is DV AVI. For a HD project (for still or video) the preview file is MPEG2.mpg and a companion information file (xmp).

Best wishes with your projects. Any questions or need clarification on your Premiere Elements workflows, please ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Version 12 rendering doesn't hold between reloads.
                                    gordoni47 Level 1

thanks. Is there any plan to fix this known problem in an update?

Gordon

• 15. Re: Version 12 rendering doesn't hold between reloads.
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Gordon

I do not work for Adobe, nor am I affiliated with it in any way. Just a visitor here like yourself. Consequently, I have no insider information on what Adobe plans are for new or old features of its versions. But, keep in mind that this matter of Timeline render/save close reopen project/find "unrendered look" has been going on since at least version 7, and Adobe is up to version 13 at this time. The symptoms suggest to me that it is some type of preview file - project disconnect since the preview files generated during the Timeline rendering are alive and well in the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder. Yet some have pointed out that some formats are affected by this issue but not all. There has been much written about this matter in the forums.

In view of the history on this, I am not sure if filing the Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Form would help.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Best wishes

ATR