6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2014 6:50 PM by snails94

beat markers

snails94

How can I set beat markers while the track plays. I used to be able to hit space bar while the track played to set markers then drag clip edges to the markers to edit video to music. In 12 I havent been able to figure out how to do this. Please help!!!

• 1. Re: beat markers
          A.T. Romano Level 7

snails94

In the days before Premiere Elements Beat markers, there was Timeline "unnumbered markers" plus the "Create Slideshow Option".

a. Run the audio clip, and, as the music plays hit the * key to place the unnumbered marker(s) across the audio clip duration.

You can still do that in Premiere Elements 12.

b. Then go to Project Assets, select more than video/photo at a time, right click in the selection, click on Create Slideshow.

In the Create Slideshow dialog, make sure that you have a check mark next to "Place Images/Clips at Unnumbered Markers".

You can still do that in Premiere Elements 12.

But, there is also "Beat Markers". See Timeline Menu/Set Beat Marker. Once you select your audio file, also see Tools Menu/Detect

Beats.

Have you been there and done any of that yet?

Please review and consider and then let us know if you are OK with the information.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: beat markers
            snails94 Level 1

My only previous version were 8 and 9 and in 8 i wasnt able to use the space bar to mark beats but in 9 i was. I could (in 9) listen to the track in the timeline and when i wanted to add a beat marker i could hit space bar and it would place one as the project kept right on playing. then the next beat marker i wanted to place i would hit space bar and so on till i had the markers placed where i wanted them too. I have tried beat detect but it never places the beat markers where i would like them. i have tied the asterick as well but it does nothing. I am trying to set points in my music track i would like to edit sports highlights, specifiaclly roller hockey, to. 9 had the space bar technique and i wish they wouldnt have eliminated that,  or have they???

• 3. Re: beat markers
              snails94 Level 1

I just tried the asterick method in the audio clip preview ( i think its the preview, it when you click it in the projects assests and see it pop up in its own window. anyways, i hit the astericks and it left markers and when i dragged the audio clip to the timeline it let me snap the clips to fit the beats. thank you. i remembered being able to do it in the time line before but this works just fine. thanks sooo much

• 4. Re: beat markers
                A.T. Romano Level 7

snails94

So that I can help you better with the present, please let us explore the past and Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1. I am seeing no difference in the "can do".

In version 9.0/9.0.1, you can hit the play button of the Edit area monitor and then hit the space bar to stop and start the playback, adding unnumbered markers at the stop and start. You have to hit the * key of the auxiliary keyboard not the computer main keyboard where the * is over the 8. Then you use those unnumbered markers in conjunction with the Create Slideshow feature in media.

I have Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 as well as 12 on my Windows 7 64 bit computer, and I am trying to do what you said that you did. And, I cannot do it. That is just start and stop the playback of the audio with the spacebar.

With your present computer keyboard, does it come with the auxiliary panel which includes the * key?

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS577D23E8-5A07-4ff8-A962-4A46F814AE6E. html#WSE10763A4-D856-4139-BD88-62B5E5F5ECE0

This is the way it has always been.

However, I am wondering if you are talking beat markers and I am using unnumbered markers/Create Slideshow route to beat markers.

Consider this which works in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 or Premiere Elements 12.

In the case of Premiere Elements 12, put your audio on one of the audio tracks. Select the audio.

Then go to Expert menu Timeline menu/Detect Beats.

In Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, the counterpart would be, put your audio on one of the audio tracks.

Then go to Timeline Menu in Timeline workspace and select Detect Beats.

In either case, you have to select the audio on the audio track first.

Please let me know if that was difference between us.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: beat markers
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

snails94

Thanks for the great news.

I did not see your report of success until after I posted my long explanation of things to try to find the difference between us.

Thank you for staying with the troubleshooting. Much appreciated.

Continued success.

ATR

• 6. Re: beat markers
                    snails94 Level 1

thank you again!!!